Canadian93

Arriving on k1 When can I start working?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi!

my fiancé and I we’re about to apply for a k1 visa when we realized that I wouldn’t be able to work for a certain amount of time until I receive a  work permit or EAD. Please correct me if I am wrong. I have been researching this for weeks and have not got a definitive answer. Am I not legally allowed to work until I receive a work permit? I have read that there are times when you do not receive a work permit within 90 days of applying for it and then there’s not even a point in receiving it as I’m not able to use it after 90 days. So my question is say I arrive on a k1 visa and we get married immediately and apply for an AOS when am I allowed to work? And what’s the timeline from the day I apply? I understand this depends but on average? My understanding is this may take 2-3 months. Because of this we are considering getting married abroad and applying for a K3 instead. How soon can I start working once I arrive on a K3 visa? I have read and heard very different experiences on this. Some people say they applied for SSN number and were able to start working immediately while others where waiting for months and months waiting for a green card or work permit and were idol the whole time. This is the biggest deciding factor for me- which is when can I start working on both visas? I would truly appreciate any experience or knowledge with this.

thanks in advance

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Canadian93 said:

Hi!

my fiancé and I we’re about to apply for a k1 visa when we realized that I wouldn’t be able to work for a certain amount of time until I receive a  work permit or EAD. Please correct me if I am wrong. I have been researching this for weeks and have not got a definitive answer. Am I not legally allowed to work until I receive a work permit? I have read that there are times when you do not receive a work permit within 90 days of applying for it and then there’s not even a point in receiving it as I’m not able to use it after 90 days. So my question is say I arrive on a k1 visa and we get married immediately and apply for an AOS when am I allowed to work? And what’s the timeline from the day I apply? I understand this depends but on average? My understanding is this may take 2-3 months. Because of this we are considering getting married abroad and applying for a K3 instead. How soon can I start working once I arrive on a K3 visa? I have read and heard very different experiences on this. Some people say they applied for SSN number and were able to start working immediately while others where waiting for months and months waiting for a green card or work permit and were idol the whole time. This is the biggest deciding factor for me- which is when can I start working on both visas? I would truly appreciate any experience or knowledge with this.

thanks in advance

K3 is dead you wont get one. If you get married CR1 is your only route.

EAD takes about 6 months to process depending on your work authorization

12 minutes ago, Canadian93 said:

Hi!

thanks in advance

K3 is dead as designguy already mentioned. But even with K3, you would have to AoS after arrival and wouldn't be able to work right away - you'd have to wait on a EAD as well.

CR1 is the only route when married. And also the only route of fiancée / Spouse visa that immediately allows you to work and travel outside of the US.

When you enter with a K1, you then get married, apply for AoS together with AP (for travel, as you won't be able to leave the US without AP either - or at least won't get back in once you leave) and EAD. Processing for EAD is around 6 months. So when entering on a K1, expect to not be able to work for at least 6 months after filing the AOS, AP, EAD

Marriage: 03/16/2018 ❤️💍👱‍♀️🧑
Birth of our daughter: 11/24/2018 👶🥰

USCIS Stage

I-130 submitted: 10/01/2019 😃
I-130 USCIS Lockbox received: 10/03/2019 
I-130 NOA1 received: 10/08/2019 --> Assigned to Nebraska Service Center 😩
I-129F (K3) submitted: 11/01/2019 :idea:

I-129F (K3) USCIS Lockbox received: 11/06/2019 

I-129F (K3) NOA1 received: 11/14/2019 😃🙏🏻
I-130 approved: 05/21/2020 —> NOA2 came from Texas Service Center 🥳❤️

NVC Stage
Case Number received: 05/22/2020 —> via Email 😃
Paid IV and AOS fee: 05/23/2020
IV fee processed (AOS fee is stuck😭) 05/28/2020
Submitted IV application and civil documents: 06/02/2020
Submitted inquiry to NVC for AOS fee being "stuck" (known NVC system issue): 06/02/2020 --> Let the waiting begin - again.... 
AOS fee finally marked as payed: 06/10/2020 🥳

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

no, you will not be able to work until your have an EAD or greencard. As others have said, that can take anywhere from 6-12 months. sometimes a bit quicker, but i wouldnt count on it.

this is why the petitioner has to meet income requirements (which i feel are way too low, but thats not the topic here), so that they can SUPPORT their partner during this time.

a cr1 is the better option is working fairly immediately (generally within a few weeks) is important to you. the additional time it takes is fairly minimal at this point.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

5 hours ago, designguy said:

K3 is dead you wont get one. If you get married CR1 is your only route.

EAD takes about 6 months to process depending on your work authorization

Well looky here. There is a whole section on VJ where there are hundreds of questions that are being asked concerning this topic with many discussions. I would think by all that activity the K-3 is not dead.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/132-k-3-spousal-visa-case-filing-and-progress-reports/

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

5 hours ago, B&C2017 said:

K3 is dead as designguy already mentioned. But even with K3, you would have to AoS after arrival and wouldn't be able to work right away - you'd have to wait on a EAD as well.

CR1 is the only route when married. And also the only route of fiancée / Spouse visa that immediately allows you to work and travel outside of the US.

When you enter with a K1, you then get married, apply for AoS together with AP (for travel, as you won't be able to leave the US without AP either - or at least won't get back in once you leave) and EAD. Processing for EAD is around 6 months. So when entering on a K1, expect to not be able to work for at least 6 months after filing the AOS, AP, EAD

See my answer above to designguy

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

5 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

Well looky here. There is a whole section on VJ where there are hundreds of questions that are being asked concerning this topic with many discussions. I would think by all that activity the K-3 is not dead.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/132-k-3-spousal-visa-case-filing-and-progress-reports/

Well, it's not dead per se - The visa issuance is, the process itself is not. 

The process (still) exists and people (incl. me) still use it. Way more since it was discovered that a I-129F (K3) submission results in a fast approval of the I-130, but since October 2019, that loophole at Nebraska Service Center seems to have been closed and it's not working anymore. Best case it'll cut a few months from the processing time, but nobody knows yet if they will process the pending K3's within the normal time of 7.5 - 9.5 months or not. We shall see around the end of March / beginning of April, when the first decision within normal processing tims should be made.

But in general, the K3 processing time cut would really only help in Nebraska, as all other service centers are just as fast without K3 as Nebraska with the cut.

And as said above: There is no actual approval of the K3 anymore - During the fiscal year 2018, only 6 K3 visas have been issued worldwide. So the K3 Visa itself is pretty much dead

Marriage: 03/16/2018 ❤️💍👱‍♀️🧑
Birth of our daughter: 11/24/2018 👶🥰

USCIS Stage

I-130 submitted: 10/01/2019 😃
I-130 USCIS Lockbox received: 10/03/2019 
I-130 NOA1 received: 10/08/2019 --> Assigned to Nebraska Service Center 😩
I-129F (K3) submitted: 11/01/2019 :idea:

I-129F (K3) USCIS Lockbox received: 11/06/2019 

I-129F (K3) NOA1 received: 11/14/2019 😃🙏🏻
I-130 approved: 05/21/2020 —> NOA2 came from Texas Service Center 🥳❤️

NVC Stage
Case Number received: 05/22/2020 —> via Email 😃
Paid IV and AOS fee: 05/23/2020
IV fee processed (AOS fee is stuck😭) 05/28/2020
Submitted IV application and civil documents: 06/02/2020
Submitted inquiry to NVC for AOS fee being "stuck" (known NVC system issue): 06/02/2020 --> Let the waiting begin - again.... 
AOS fee finally marked as payed: 06/10/2020 🥳

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Marry and go CR1, stamp in passport serves as a temp GC and enables you to work from Day 1.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

My boyfriend and I are going through the same thing as you right now. We are contemplating K1, CR1, or breakup unfortunately. We have been doing long distance between the USA and Europe for 6 years and thought he was going to be able to transfer here through his job, but that fell through. Here’s the hard facts- the K1 visa is quicker in that you can be together sooner, but it will still take 6 months to 1+ years to be approved, average about 9 months to be approved. Then when you are in the USA you will need to get your work permit which will take about 6 months. You will not be able to do any resume building activities. Like you, that is not okay with my boyfriend as he wants to be able to work and thinks that not working will have a negative effect on our relationship. The next option is CR1- you need to get married abroad. You need to look into the country you want to marry in bc some have specific visas and/or paperwork you need to have to get married (again a waiting period). Then afterwards you apply for a CR1 visa. This will take 1-2+ years to be approved. How long it takes is really on multiple factors and luck. My boyfriend met with a lawyer yesterday and was told that the quicker cases are for those who as the foreigner already had a previous investor visa or were in the USA previously on a H1 or L1 visa or for those who have been married for a longer period of time. In my case, being a US citizen working and paying taxes and will be newly married, it would take on average 1.5 years. After that time, he has the green card in hand and can work. Both options completely suck. I hope that helps. Best of luck to you two. I know it’s really hard :( 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, EDFB14 said:

My boyfriend and I are going through the same thing as you right now. We are contemplating K1, CR1, or breakup unfortunately. We have been doing long distance between the USA and Europe for 6 years and thought he was going to be able to transfer here through his job, but that fell through. Here’s the hard facts- the K1 visa is quicker in that you can be together sooner, but it will still take 6 months to 1+ years to be approved, average about 9 months to be approved. Then when you are in the USA you will need to get your work permit which will take about 6 months. You will not be able to do any resume building activities. Like you, that is not okay with my boyfriend as he wants to be able to work and thinks that not working will have a negative effect on our relationship. The next option is CR1- you need to get married abroad. You need to look into the country you want to marry in bc some have specific visas and/or paperwork you need to have to get married (again a waiting period). Then afterwards you apply for a CR1 visa. This will take 1-2+ years to be approved. How long it takes is really on multiple factors and luck. My boyfriend met with a lawyer yesterday and was told that the quicker cases are for those who as the foreigner already had a previous investor visa or were in the USA previously on a H1 or L1 visa or for those who have been married for a longer period of time. In my case, being a US citizen working and paying taxes and will be newly married, it would take on average 1.5 years. After that time, he has the green card in hand and can work. Both options completely suck. I hope that helps. Best of luck to you two. I know it’s really hard :( 

Hopefully he did not appoint that lawyer, lot of misinformation out there.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

My impression mist Immigration Lawyers have little dealings with Family based immigration, most people seem to DIY so their knowledge can be out of date or missing. Obviously they know the basics.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
33 minutes ago, EDFB14 said:

The next option is CR1- you need to get married abroad.

You can marry in the US and do a CR-1 (presuming -- as is likely if your fiance(e) is from Europe, as most European countries are part of the Visa Waiver Program, and most people from VWP countries are eligible to use it -- your partner can visit the US legally); it's just the non-US citizen has to return to their country after the wedding.

Coming to the US on a tourist visa and with intent to marry is not illegal or fraud. Coming to the US on a tourist visa with intent to marry and adjust status and stay is fraud.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
3 hours ago, EDFB14 said:

You already waited 6 years to live together, what's so bad about waiting 1.5+ years?

Most of us have to wait that time and have to be very patient in order to live with our loved onesin the US.

Service Center: Texas Service Center SRC

Consulate: Juarez, Mexico

I-130 NOA1: 2019/03/21

I-130 NOA2: 2019/09/17

NVC DQ: 2020/01/21

Visa Approved: 2021/07/01

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.