Newhawaiki

K1 Petitioner, is written statement enough for arrest no charges/convictions

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Aloha everyone,

i am currently filling out the I-129F. In Part 3 on question 4a my instinct is telling me to disclose everything and check yes because I was arrested when I was 18 but I was not charged or convicted of any crime.

If you're curious with what happened: I was 18 and a "friend" of mine wanted me to pawn "his gold bracelet" for him in order to get some money because he was going through a hard time. He was 16 and could not pawn anything himself. I told him I didn't trust him and wanted more evidence from his parents to see if it was actually his. I talked to "his mom" on the phone who "confirmed" that it was his. I went against my judgement and pawned it for him since we grew up together and I knew his whole family. I told my girlfriend that afternoon what I did and she said a gold bracelet was stolen at school that matched the description. I knew this person and I called her dad and told him what happened. He and I confronted "my friend" and he gave us the money. The next morning her dad and I went to the pawn shop to get the bracelet back. I explained to the pawn shop owner what happened and how I realized how naive I was and that I had the money to get it back if possible. The pawn shop owner was furious but took the money and gave the bracelet back. He said I was a liar and scumbag and he wanted me to get arrested so "I could learn a lesson". Her dad didn't want any police involvement and tried to reason with him but he was too angry. The police showed up and tried to calm him down to no avail, so they said that they would arrest me as a formality to appease the pawn shop owner. I was only taken to the police station and interviewed where I was released with nothing happened afterwards. I did not have to appear in court or anything, I was only arrested. My "friend" confessed and said how he used me without my knowledge of the true situation and I received no legal charges.

I was wondering if a written statement explaining the situation of when I was arrested would be satisfactory? I literally cannot find anything on this arrest but I'll try to get in contact with the courts in Hawaii, the difficult thing is that I am overseas at the moment and don't know how I could obtain certified copies of any arrest reports without it taking forever by being mailed to me.

I would definitely get a copy of the arrest report from the police department that made the arrest. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

1 hour ago, Newhawaiki said:

Should I supplement the arrest record with a written statement or will the arrest record be sufficient on it's own?

No..... that will be good enough 

Timeline

In Hawaii apparently they only show convictions not arrests? The police station says they have nothing on me. I got a certified criminal record that states I have no convictions would this suffice for the arrest information? I'm not sure where to go from here. 

From the Hawaii Criminal Justice Website: "Arrest records which have resulted in convictions (found guilty) are considered public record and are available at Public Access sites throughout the state and at the Adult Criminal Conviction Information (eCrim) Web Site. Arrest records which have resulted in non-convictions or are still pending, are considered confidential and not available to the general public."

Edited by Newhawaiki

7 minutes ago, Newhawaiki said:

In Hawaii apparently they only show convictions not arrests? The police station says they have nothing on me. I got a certified criminal record that states I have no convictions would this suffice for the arrest information? I'm not sure where to go from here. 

If you are curious enough you can obtain a copy of your FBI report for personal purposes.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline

From the FAQ on the Hawaii Criminal Justice website:

Who can access non-conviction (arrest) information?

Only criminal justice agencies and agencies authorized by Hawaii’s laws, such as the Department of Human Services for their child care program, can access non-conviction information.

Filed: Timeline
55 minutes ago, Newhawaiki said:

From the Hawaii Criminal Justice Website: "Arrest records which have resulted in convictions (found guilty) are considered public record and are available at Public Access sites throughout the state and at the Adult Criminal Conviction Information (eCrim) Web Site. Arrest records which have resulted in non-convictions or are still pending, are considered confidential and not available to the general public."

Call the local police dept that arrested you. You are not 'the general public' but the subject of the arrest, you should be able to obtain a copy by providing your ID. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Is there any update on this? Did you get approved? I got an RFE for missing court docs (from an underage drinking ticket I got like 11 years ago) and all I got back was a certified letter from the court stating there is no record of it. Wondering/hoping that will be enough. 

Timeline

@Sarahbmalvin I didn't send my packet yet, but from what I've read (especially from the instructions) a certified letter from the court should suffice! I'm waiting to get that along with a statement from the police if possible. I also have a statement from the Criminal Justice saying I don't have a criminal record. I'd rather wait and send everything I possibly can than risk an RFE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.