w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Poll: 63% of Americans favor letting illegal immigrants become citizens if they pass a background check and learn English

221 posts in this topic

Although the pathway to citizenship was one of the most controversial provisions of the Senate bill, the poll found the idea was backed by 63% of those surveyed — even by 58% of those who identified themselves as conservatives and 65% of Republicans.

The survey question specified that, under the proposal, citizenship would be available only to those who register their presence in the U.S., have no criminal record, pay a fine, get fingerprinted and learn English, among other requirements.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/na...=la-home-center

i am in the majority here.,..if there is a reasonable expectation and the person has to got hrough certain defined standards then why not..? first of all, they never be sent back...they cannot stop the tide to this country...a ###### fence, yeah that is working.....and a new plan needs to be put into place......20 million .........

if i lived in mexicao, and had a family and thought my life and theirs would be better if i came to america ..then i would do what i need to do to take care of them...

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
if i lived in mexicao, and had a family and thought my life and theirs would be better if i came to america ..then i would do what i need to do to take care of them...

Mexico is the most prosperous country in Latin America, yet they encourage and promote the export of their unskilled and illiterate to the US, where, in turn, our politicians and their sycophants tell us that the influx of cheap labor will help grow our economy. If economic theory holds that the incorporation of low-skilled illiterates is so good for an economy, why isn't Mexico anxious to benefit their economy even further with such a precious commodity?

i agree with you, sister green eyes..i guess, i am looking for a way that the politicians can agree on and is practical to all..i know they never be sent back in masses, both bush and cogress ahve stated this.,.so 20 million are here...what to do>?

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Mexico is the most prosperous country in Latin America, yet they encourage and promote the export of their unskilled and illiterate to the US, where, in turn, our politicians and their sycophants tell us that the influx of cheap labor will help grow our economy. If economic theory holds that the incorporation of low-skilled illiterates is so good for an economy, why isn't Mexico anxious to benefit their economy even further with such a precious commodity?

PWND! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

PWND! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

i was not pwned by my sister green eyes, as i agreed to her post .

.i was trying to look for a solution..

.plus, my sister green eyes would never pwned her ol' brother dean// :yes:

Edited by almaty

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

i agree with you, sister green eyes..i guess, i am looking for a way that the politicians can agree on and is practical to all..i know they never be sent back in masses, both bush and cogress ahve stated this.,.so 20 million are here...what to do>?

I really hate to continue to repeat myself. The solution is easy, cheap and does not require a new law. If we would only enforce the laws we already have the jobs for the illegals would dry up. There would be no need for mass deportation. If they have no job they will go home on their own. We should also deny them any government benefits other than emergency medical care. We should jail anyone giving a job to an illegal. We shouldn't be afraid to ask the immigration status of anyone that comes in contact with a government official. If we would only do these things our problem would be solved.

I want to make this clear. I am all for immigrant workers and immigration in general. I only want them to do it by the rules and allow our government to know who is here and what they are doing. A migrant worker shouldn't have more rights than someone applying for a K-1, K-3 or any other type of visa. To give them preferential treatment is not only unfair to the others that are doing it right it is dangerous to our country in general for the reason that we have millions of people here that we have zero information about.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We should certainly enforce the employment laws - but we shouldn't assume that doing so is going to stop people from working under the radar.

I worked construction for a couple of months after I got my EAD, and I know a number of the workers were paid in cash out of pocket. Not exactly sure how this sort of thing can be stopped. Fining the employers for hiring undocumented workers is all well and good - but there's a logistical challenge in doing so because the problem is so widespread.

We should certainly enforce the employment laws - but we shouldn't assume that doing so is going to stop people from working under the radar.

I worked construction for a couple of months after I got my EAD, and I know a number of the workers were paid in cash out of pocket. Not exactly sure how this sort of thing can be stopped. Fining the employers for hiring undocumented workers is all well and good - but there's a logistical challenge in doing so because the problem is so widespread.

It wouldn't be airtight by any means. But if we made it a lot more costly to get caught there would be a lot less of it. If we could make it harder to get a under the table job and a lot easier for someone from another country to get a legit job then the problem would take care of itself. All I want to begin with is those here to go home first and wait in line like the rest of the intended visa applicants have to. I do not want to give them special treatment just because they got away with breaking the law.

Filed: Country: Guatemala
Timeline
without hard facts ... you assume the worst.

Can you prove these illegals don't have STD's? Show us where their medical records are available for the US gov't to review and prove they’re STD free.

If not, then we must assume that 100% do have STD's.

That sounds slightly suspect to me. OK - they're here illegally. Not sure what purpose it serves demonising them further and equating them with the worst types of violent criminals.

they will come un-checked unless stopped.

Even in the Ellis Islands days ... people of poor health were sent back. Why not now?

Are these people sneaking across the border today hiding something? Or think they are too good to submit to an examination?

I'm not sure how useful it is to dehumanise people with that kind of labelling.

As I said - this is an emotional subject. It really doesn't need melodrama.

Natty Bumpoo has a point, though. I don't agree that we must assume that 100% of illegals have STDs/TB but STDs and especially TB are MASSIVE public health issues. Illegals coming in unchecked are absolutely spreading these diseases among themselves and the native US population. This ends up costing public health services money, since they usually don't have insurance. Melodrama aside, this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed.

Sorry but this whole point is just ridiculous to me. I don't consider it my government's responsibility to make sure I don't get an STD when I have unprotected sex with an illegal alien. MASSIVE public health issues they may be but it's time that people started taking responsibility for their own actions and not relying on someone else to do the checking for them. Anyway, your average citizen isn't going to know that aliens are screened for communicable diseases before being given a Visa. And even if they did what does that mean-oh you have a green card so I guess we don't have to use condoms? This whole argument is ridiculous.

Don't let the sunshine spoil your rain...just stand up and COMPLAIN!

-Oscar the Grouch

Timeline

It wouldn't be airtight by any means. But if we made it a lot more costly to get caught there would be a lot less of it. If we could make it harder to get a under the table job and a lot easier for someone from another country to get a legit job then the problem would take care of itself. All I want to begin with is those here to go home first and wait in line like the rest of the intended visa applicants have to. I do not want to give them special treatment just because they got away with breaking the law.

I'm not sure that will happen - rather its more likely some sort of exception/amnesty will be made for those migrants who have been here for a long time.

Filed: Country: Guatemala
Timeline

I'm not sure that will happen - rather its more likely some sort of exception/amnesty will be made for those migrants who have been here for a long time.

That's ridiculous to me too. All that actually means is that they have been able to avoid getting caught longer. I'd like to see something ANYTHING done for those who have actually PAID for their civil offense already.

Don't let the sunshine spoil your rain...just stand up and COMPLAIN!

-Oscar the Grouch

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Can you prove these illegals don't have STD's? Show us where their medical records are available for the US gov't to review and prove they’re STD free.

That sounds slightly suspect to me. OK - they're here illegally. Not sure what purpose it serves demonising them further and equating them with the worst types of violent criminals.

Even in the Ellis Islands days ... people of poor health were sent back. Why not now?

Are these people sneaking across the border today hiding something? Or think they are too good to submit to an examination?

Natty Bumpoo has a point, though. I don't agree that we must assume that 100% of illegals have STDs/TB but STDs and especially TB are MASSIVE public health issues. Illegals coming in unchecked are absolutely spreading these diseases among themselves and the native US population. This ends up costing public health services money, since they usually don't have insurance. Melodrama aside, this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed.

Sorry but this whole point is just ridiculous to me. I don't consider it my government's responsibility to make sure I don't get an STD when I have unprotected sex with an illegal alien. MASSIVE public health issues they may be but it's time that people started taking responsibility for their own actions and not relying on someone else to do the checking for them. Anyway, your average citizen isn't going to know that aliens are screened for communicable diseases before being given a Visa. And even if they did what does that mean-oh you have a green card so I guess we don't have to use condoms? This whole argument is ridiculous.

there was a clarification/ retraction posted regarding STD....

Sorry bad choice of word … not STD … communicable disease.

Timeline

Also its not something that would be easy to verify - as surely you would only be able to (fairly) screen out the people who are coming in, rather than those who are already here. Its within a bounds of possibility to catch a disease

I mean - you've got to wonder how that would affect a legal immigrant's immigrant status, let alone that of an illegal... Say you turn in a negative HIV/AIDS test result at the medical - but then subsequently contract the disease while in the US. I mean... do you lose all your immigrant priveleges for catching a communicable disease?

Sorry, I have a fundamental problem with rewarding illegal behavior. I realize that our own government has been derelict in this and I also blame them. But my own sense of right and wrong will not allow for rewarding this kind of behavior regardless of how long they have gotten away with it.

Timeline
That's ridiculous to me too. All that actually means is that they have been able to avoid getting caught longer. I'd like to see something ANYTHING done for those who have actually PAID for their civil offense already.

Sure - but the problem is some of these people have been here for upwards of 10,15,20 years and have significant ties to the US.

Granted they broke the law to begin with (and you can't excuse that), but the failures in the system that allowed them to get in and live undetected makes that system complicit IMO. We don't evict people back to foreign countries if there's a chance that they may be persecuted over there. So too we shouldn't evict people if in doing so - they face complete destitution.

Not to throw another pointless analogy out there - but there's a parallel with Squatters rights here. If you live in the place long enough - it becomes yours.