10 posts in this topic

Hello, I've been combing through the forum trying to find the process I should do to have my name changed while I am waiting for my green card. Along with my AOS packet, I sent copies of my marriage certificate so I thought that the name change was already acknowledged when I received the NOA. But when I went to my biometrics appointment last January 3rd, they informed me that my name on their file still showed as my maiden name. They still took my picture and fingerprints but the immigration officer said I had to write a letter to request the name change as well as to attach the supporting documents (just the marriage certificate, I'm assuming?). My husband and I also called a USCIS field office to check, and the man just told us to send in a letter and the marriage certificate.

Is there a specific form that I should use for this? Or is there something else I should do, even? It just seems so informal to just send in a letter requesting for the name change. Thanks for any recommendations.

You could just write a standard letter Indicating your name change and add on the marriage certificate as evidence. The certificate is adequate evidence of name change and the cover letter helps them comprehend what’s happening instead of just sending in a certificate.

Most immigration forms tend to ask for previous Names or aliases so you can include your maiden name on that when required. 

I’m not aware of any formal applications for name changes.

visa Issued

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Did you used your new married name on the forms or your maiden name?

Cause this is usually the only thing you do. Fill the forms in your married name, list your maiden name as other names used and the marriage certificate works as the document to proof the name change.

2 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Did you used your new married name on the forms or your maiden name?

Cause this is usually the only thing you do. Fill the forms in your married name, list your maiden name as other names used and the marriage certificate works as the document to proof the name change.

Yes, that's exactly what I did: used my new married name and added my full maiden name under other names used. That's why I was confused when they told me my name on their file didn't match. 

1 hour ago, SorrowL said:

You could just write a standard letter Indicating your name change and add on the marriage certificate as evidence. The certificate is adequate evidence of name change and the cover letter helps them comprehend what’s happening instead of just sending in a certificate.

Most immigration forms tend to ask for previous Names or aliases so you can include your maiden name on that when required. 

I’m not aware of any formal applications for name changes.

I did include my maiden name under other names used on the form, that's why I was confused that I still needed to inform them afterwards. Thank you, though! The officer we called did tell us that's what we needed to do, I just wanted a bit more confirmation from people on here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
1 hour ago, Daji said:

I did include my maiden name under other names used on the form, that's why I was confused that I still needed to inform them afterwards. Thank you, though! The officer we called did tell us that's what we needed to do, I just wanted a bit more confirmation from people on here.

Never heard of that before actually 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to AOS Family K1/K3, from K1 P&P - this is an AOS question now~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 hours ago, Daji said:

Hello, I've been combing through the forum trying to find the process I should do to have my name changed while I am waiting for my green card. Along with my AOS packet, I sent copies of my marriage certificate so I thought that the name change was already acknowledged when I received the NOA. But when I went to my biometrics appointment last January 3rd, they informed me that my name on their file still showed as my maiden name. They still took my picture and fingerprints but the immigration officer said I had to write a letter to request the name change as well as to attach the supporting documents (just the marriage certificate, I'm assuming?). My husband and I also called a USCIS field office to check, and the man just told us to send in a letter and the marriage certificate.

Is there a specific form that I should use for this? Or is there something else I should do, even? It just seems so informal to just send in a letter requesting for the name change. Thanks for any recommendations.

What's the name on the NOAs letters? That's the name in the system.

BTW, my name was misspelled on the EAD NOA. I filled the form to get it corrected right away. 4 months later I received my EAD with the mistake. They didn't do anything about it. Had to send my card back.

Edited by Ayrton

1 hour ago, Ayrton said:

What's the name on the NOAs letters? That's the name in the system.

BTW, my name was misspelled on the EAD NOA. I filled the form to get it corrected right away. 4 months later I received my EAD with the mistake. They didn't do anything about it. Had to send my card back.

My married name is what’s on the NOAs so hopefully it’s actually a mistake on the part the immigration officer. I’m gonna have to call in again to see what they say, I guess. And that sucks! I’m sorry that happened.

21 hours ago, Daji said:

I think what happened is since you are Filipina like my wife, you changed your name according to your traditions. My wife did the same thing. Everything came in with her new correct name but when she had her biometrics, the person argued with my wife over the name saying it didn’t make sense. My wife explained to her the tradition. She finally just said whatever let the interviewing officer figure it out. 

If this is your problem, don’t worry about it as long as your notices came with the new name you now want. My wife has been able to change her name on everything without problems. Even her EAD/AP and social security card reflect the correct new name. Next month we have her interview, but since we have done everything possible to change her name on every single thing possible, we are hoping the interviewing officer doesn’t bat an eye. 

Edited by Zach2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.