filed I751  2/2018

NOA letter received  2/2018

18mo extension letter received 7/2018

never received notice for biometrics

filed N400 5/2019

N400 biometrics 5/2019

N400 interview scheduled 12/2019

N400 interview in 1/2020

N400 passed at interview, but I751 was not adjudicated at the same time (despite the case being there in front of the IO)

currently stuck in limbo waiting with no updates online (still on "we scheduled your interview")

I751 is now out of normal processing time. Inquiry gives me a useless response of "we're still working on your case"

@Sanctus1 Typical example of combo applications. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, kc2177 said:

filed I751  2/2018

filed N400 5/2019

N400 biometrics 5/2019

N400 interview in 1/2020

N400 passed at interview, but I751 was not adjudicated at the same time (despite the case being there in front of the IO)

currently stuck in limbo waiting with no updates online (still on "we scheduled your interview")

I751 is now out of normal processing time. Inquiry gives me a useless response of "we're still working on your case"

I'm thinking, if you already passed the N400 interview, that means you are about to become an American citizen soon. The I751 green card application is not necessary any more. Just my thought. Thank you for sharing.

4 minutes ago, Maggie1108 said:

I'm thinking, if you already passed the N400 interview, that means you are about to become an American citizen soon. The I751 green card application is not necessary any more. Just my thought. Thank you for sharing.

You can't get family based citizenship without getting an approved I-751 ROC

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

43 minutes ago, Malauriea said:

@Sanctus1 Typical example of combo applications. 

I don't know if you can really say that my case is considered typical since I never received the I751 biometrics notice even after filing the I751 more than a year earlier (I've never seen anyone on here or other sites with the same situation). Multiple inquiries and one infopass appointment were made during this period prior to filing for the N400 and none of them were helpful. I consulted with an attorney who told me that it wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and file the N400 to try and get the I751 to move. I kind of see it as a glass half full situation (or at least I try really hard to see it that way!). At least the N400 part is done, and now all I have to do is wait... Since my ultimate goal is to obtain citizenship anyways, I think doing the combo route ultimately would save me time vs if I waited for the I751 first, but who knows?

8 minutes ago, Maggie1108 said:

The I751 has to be dealt with first before the N400 can be completed. Although I passed the N400 interview, I was given a form that said, "a decision can't be made" since the I751 has not been looked at yet. The IO actually was about to approve the N400 and we were even talking about the oath ceremony next month and what to expect that day. I then asked the IO if that means the I751 was good to go, and the IO looked shocked because he didn't know that my I751 was still pending (even though it was right in front of him on the desk... the very first page of my entire immigration file was the first page of the I751 application -____-). He was super nice and friendly, but didn't do the I751 part and said that he had to give it to his colleague, so I'm thinking that he wasn't authorized to do I751s or else he would've done it on the spot.

2 hours ago, kc2177 said:

The I751 has to be dealt with first before the N400 can be completed. Although I passed the N400 interview, I was given a form that said, "a decision can't be made" since the I751 has not been looked at yet. The IO actually was about to approve the N400 and we were even talking about the oath ceremony next month and what to expect that day. I then asked the IO if that means the I751 was good to go, and the IO looked shocked because he didn't know that my I751 was still pending (even though it was right in front of him on the desk... the very first page of my entire immigration file was the first page of the I751 application -____-). He was super nice and friendly, but didn't do the I751 part and said that he had to give it to his colleague, so I'm thinking that he wasn't authorized to do I751s or else he would've done it on the spot.

Some officers are not qualified to approve a combo applications. They are citizenship officers only  trained to ask you questions related to citizenship only. They can't investigate into your marriage to check if it's a bona fide marriage which requires a different training and accreditation related to processing the i751. That's why in Seattle, applicants who file combo applications get stuck because not many officers here have the combo accreditations. 

The officer you had was definitely just a Citizenship officer and needed to pass it on someone more quality for the i751. However, if you saw your application on his desk, that means your i751 is already transferred to your local office (which is good), but might be delayed since you went back in queue (others applicants have priority before you). 

Hopefully you hear from them soon!!!

12 hours ago, cali1618 said:

Looks like CSC picked up some speed. I've been monitoring the processing times of CSC and I see a sudden spark in there. Current processing time range dropped to 15 months - 20.5 months from earlier 17 months -23 months.

Did you happen to note what the filing dates were for the ones you saw moving ahead? Would be good to know where they actually are though I am not sure how much that matters. 

5 hours ago, kc2177 said:

filed I751  2/2018

filed N400 5/2019

N400 biometrics 5/2019

N400 interview in 1/2020

In your N400 application did you specifically request for a combo interview?

13 hours ago, Newsjustin said:

Did you happen to note what the filing dates were for the ones you saw moving ahead? Would be good to know where they actually are though I am not sure how much that matters. 

Well, i did make a note of Receipt date for a case inquiry.

On 3rd Feb 2020,

Receipt date for a case inquiry -  11th March 2018

On 4th Feb 2020,

Receipt date for a case inquiry -  25th May 2018

12 hours ago, Newsjustin said:

In your N400 application did you specifically request for a combo interview?

Yes, I did. I wrote a request letter and attached it to the N400 application online. A month after filing the N400, the I751 actually got transferred from CSC to NBC, which was the first movement I've seen on the I751 for over a year at that point, having never received any notice about biometrics. So that made me hopeful that it was getting ready to be prepped for a combo interview. The I751 status never changed after that and although I've called a few times and inquired online trying to see if the I751 was now at my local office and if the I751 would be adjudicated at the same time, I did not get any useful information.

13 hours ago, Malauriea said:

Some officers are not qualified to approve a combo applications. They are citizenship officers only  trained to ask you questions related to citizenship only. They can't investigate into your marriage to check if it's a bona fide marriage which requires a different training and accreditation related to processing the i751. That's why in Seattle, applicants who file combo applications get stuck because not many officers here have the combo accreditations. 

The officer you had was definitely just a Citizenship officer and needed to pass it on someone more quality for the i751. However, if you saw your application on his desk, that means your i751 is already transferred to your local office (which is good), but might be delayed since you went back in queue (others applicants have priority before you). 

Hopefully you hear from them soon!!!

yeah, I got the vibe that N400 only IO's are more junior and the I751 need more training. Here's to another few more months of waiting around in the dark!!

3 hours ago, kc2177 said:

yeah, I got the vibe that N400 only IO's are more junior and the I751 need more training. Here's to another few more months of waiting around in the dark!!

Hopefully the queue is not long for you and you'll get approved soon. Please keep us updated 

2 hours ago, Malauriea said:

Hopefully the queue is not long for you and you'll get approved soon. Please keep us updated 

Thanks, I am somewhat relieved that at least the I751 is in the right office and on an officer's desk waiting to be reviewed vs being lost or sitting at NBC in Missouri. Will keep you updated!

I went for Info pass today to get I-551 stamp on my passport , since my 18 month extension is getting expired in next 30 days while I-751 is still pending ( filled in June 2018).  I got the stamp for 1 year .

The officer took my expired green card and also the extension letter and told me he's gonna shred it as they are no longer valid and I-551 stamp is as good as green card. Is this normal ?

On 2/5/2020 at 2:32 PM, Malauriea said:

Update: Both my I751 and N400 got approved yesterday, a little over two weeks since my N400 interview. The oath ceremony notice already posted online for 2/25, which is less than 2 weeks away! That was a lot shorter than I thought I'd have to wait for everything to get resolved. I was mentally prepared to wait it out until the summer.

Looking back at everything, I'd say that my case was pretty straight forward. Just a few traffic citations and lost my green card, but no crimes, no divorces or anything like that. The only weird thing was that my biometrics for the I751 never came even after a year after filing. Once I filed the N400, everything else moved fairly quickly; biometrics was scheduled right away within the same month. Interview got scheduled 7 months later. The online personalized estimated case completion time was pretty accurate. Mine says completion March 2020.

I relied a lot on VisaJourney's immigration timeline to compare other applicants in my same area. Based on a few applicants who had filed their N400 a few months before me, I was able to estimate when I would get an interview, which I estimated to be either Dec 2019 or Jan 2020, so it was pretty spot on. It helped me a lot with my bouts of impatience regarding my case. The last few months of this process felt painfully slow and agonizing and I'm just so happy to put this all aside and never have to deal with USCIS again! Also very excited to finally be able to vote :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.