jademcculloch

Is she in the US illegally?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

This is not me, I am asking for a friend, I know someone who got married in the US while being an au pair, she is now married, but her visa is expired, the couple told me their lawyer told them that as long as she doesn't leave the country, she is fine, but I am currently waiting for my petition to be approved outside of the country because I prefer the safer route, my question is: her J1 is expired and they have not yet filed for the I-130, realistically speaking, what could happen? Have you guys seen any success stories? How is this going to go down? When they told me, I was really alarmed, but I did not want to alarm them without doing research first 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, jademcculloch said:

This is not me, I am asking for a friend, I know someone who got married in the US while being an au pair, she is now married, but her visa is expired, the couple told me their lawyer told them that as long as she doesn't leave the country, she is fine, but I am currently waiting for my petition to be approved outside of the country because I prefer the safer route, my question is: her J1 is expired and they have not yet filed for the I-130, realistically speaking, what could happen? Have you guys seen any success stories? How is this going to go down? When they told me, I was really alarmed, but I did not want to alarm them without doing research first 

Lawyer is correct 

YMMV

Timeline
Just now, Nat&Amy said:

If she has overstayed and therefore violated the terms of her visa, she has no status.

No status = deportable.

Her overstay will be forgiven during AoS but until she has NOA1 granting her authorized stay, her marriage to a USC gives her no benefits and she can still be detained if unable to provide papers when asked by authorities.

thanks for your answer, but will that be a problem further ahead during the immigration process?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
26 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Lawyer is correct 

For clarification: lawyer has not given your friend the full picture*. She won't be "fine" until she files AoS - she is still deportable until then.

*Assuming, of course, OP has full access to what was discussed between friend and lawyer, which might not be the case.

4 minutes ago, jademcculloch said:

thanks for your answer, but will that be a problem further ahead during the immigration process?

Overstay is forgiven for spouses of USC.

Only foreseeable problem is her being caught by the authorities before AoS is properly filed. Has happened before. Absolutely no advantage in delaying AoS.

Edited by Nat&Amy

Timeline
Just now, Nat&Amy said:

For clarification: lawyer has not given your friend the full picture*. She won't be "fine" until she files AoS - she is still deportable until then.

*Assuming, of course, OP has full access to what was discussed between friend and lawyer, which might not be the case.

Overstay is forgiven for spouses of USC.

ok, that makes me feel better, thanks for the clarification 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, little immigrant said:

The lawyer is correct by saying she's fine with an expired visa? 

Meaning, as long as she stays in the USA she will be fine to file for adjustment of status.  Being out of status is not an impediment to eligibility or success 

YMMV

To clarify...

The overstay / violation of status means she is in the UIS illegally. Being married to a USC does not grant any legal status or authorized stay.

She is subject to deportation at this time. She is not "fine" - if caught, she will likely have a very unpleasant (and possibly expensive) experience.

Being married to a USC makes you exempt from the requirement of having and maintaining legal status to be eligible for AOS.

This means she can file for AOS and not have the overstay held against her for that purpose.

If/Once she files for AOS, she will be in a period of authorized stay.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

We are, of course, assuming the au pair married a USC. If she married another visa holder or LPR then the overstay will not be forgiven and she cannot adjust status.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
3 minutes ago, JFH said:

We are, of course, assuming the au pair married a USC. If she married another visa holder or LPR then the overstay will not be forgiven and she cannot adjust status.

yes, she did

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
12 hours ago, jademcculloch said:

Read this......she needs to file for adjustment of status to be granted authorized stay......otherwise, she could find herself in a real ugly situation...as did the OP of the following post:

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

They should file for AOS as soon as possible! We sent our package a few weeks before my J1 expired to be on the safe side. As others have said, having an expired visa while married doesn't necessarily affect the AOS process but does leave her at risk.

J-1 212 Residency Requirement Waiver                                                                    Removal of Conditions

08/22/2016 Advisory opinion request                                                                      07/01/2019 Package sent (I-751)

09/30/2016 Finding letter sent *subject*                                                                 07/03/2019 Package received at Pheonix, AZ Lockbox

09/30/2016 Documents received by DOS                                                                07/10/2019 Text notification of Case received, WAC#

12/13/2016 NOS Letter received                                                                               07/12/2019 Received NOA, 18 month extension letter.

01/25/2017 Favorable Recommendation Sent                                                        01/27/2020 Biometrics taken, Pomona CA

02/02/2017 Case received by USCIS                                                                         08/14/2020 Case transferred to NBC

02/2017 Married!                                                                                                            04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

05/17/2017 Approval notice received                                                                       05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office

05/11/2021 Case approved

Adjustment Of Status from J-1                                                                                     N-400

05/08/2017 Package sent (I-130, I-485 and I-765)                                                   06/28/2020 Applied Online

05/11/2017 Package received at Chicago Lockbox                                                 07/06/2020 Received NOA

05/18/2017 NOA received with case numbers via mail                                           12/14/2020 Biometrics Reuse Notice

06/06/2017 Had biometrics appointment in Pomona, CA                                       04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

08/07/2017 Sent an online service request on I-765                                                05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office/Decision cannot be made because of I-751 pending

08/17/2017 Letter in the mail saying case still under review                                  05/17/2021 Case recommended for approved, submitted for quality review

08/23/2017 Scheduled for an interview                                                                      05/17/2021 Oath Ceremony will be scheduled

08/26/2017 Sent second SR on I-765                                                                          06/25/2021 Oath Ceremony, San Bernardino Office

08/26/2017 EAD New Card is Being Produced

08/29/2017 EAD card was mailed to me

08/31/2017 EAD card received in the mail

09/25/2017  Interview at San Bernardino office/GC approved

09/25/2017 GC is being produced

09/28/2017 GC was mailed to me

09/30/2017 GC received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
16 hours ago, jademcculloch said:

Have you guys seen any success stories?

Every day we see success stories with AOS in similar circumstances to your friend, and every day we see denials.  It all comes down to whether the evidence submitted with the AOS package, plus the interview, satisfies the officer that the marriage relationship is bona fide, and that the USC sponsor and/or co-sponsor has the financial resources to support their spouse.  Sometimes we see a greater level of scrutiny for cases where there was a long period of illegal status, so they need to file AOS immediately, but include a lot of supporting evidence and be ready for the interview by knowing everything about each other if the officer suspects something is amiss.  If they have been married and living together for a long time they should be able to provide strong documentation that the marriage is real, and the officer will be looking for that.  Good luck!

Edited by carmel34

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.