Nikki06

2020/ 21- US Passport & Card Application-Tracker

2,786 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, stats787 said:

At first I wanted to update SSA, but I found out they are close until further notice. So I applied for passport instead. I also see some people mentioned sometimes SSA needs to see the original NC before they can update the record. 

Since USPS is an authorized facility for passport application, they should be able to validate the NC on the spot and make a copy. So that only the copy goes with the application. It is similar to driver license, they check our immigration records and issue the driver license. I also check there are other passport agencies in my area other than USPS, I think they have to send the documents via USPS too.

I have spent a good amount of time recently reading here and there and haven't found a single official place / rule / regulation that ONLY accepts Naturalization Certificate as the evidence of US citizenship. Most of the incidents where they require NC instead of a US passport for citizenship evidence is due to human factors or human "errors", which is usually disputable and can be solved by going to another office or seeking help from supervisors. Of course, it's inconvenient , but luckily not prevalent that we need to deal with often.

The SSA accepts a valid US passport as the sole evidence, no need to show NC when a passport is present. Not only I've seen members on this forum who have updated their SSN records using only their passport, but the SSA official manual https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110210505 even says this:

NOTE: Due to processing efficiency, if an applicant presents both a U.S. passport and a Certificate of Naturalization (N-550/N-570) select U.S passport for proof of U.S. citizenship.

45 minutes ago, Charming12 said:

100% agree. DOS/USPS would be responsible for that if you loses NC  Godforbid. They should be held accountable for their pathetic irresponsible job. Last month USPS lost my I751 GC and still they could not find it seriously and yet they have no courtesy to call me back with apology. USPS is run by joker and If it is upto me I would never apply for passport through USPS. 

Sorry that they lost your GC, luckily you've received your citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
2 minutes ago, MrKo said:

Sorry that they lost your GC, luckily you've received your citizenship.

Yes, I wouldn't care less since I have already obtained citizenship but question remains how come they lost such important documents? I do have a tracking information of that and yet they are giving me lame excuses!. As per tracking info, GC is somewhere at local post office and when I went there, Supervisor just kept on BS ####### explanation and blamed it on carrier how convenient! Seriously is that how USPS runs? Even third world countries post offices can do much better job than USPS.

On the upside, it’s actually very rare that the documents get lost, so the chances of it happening twice to the same person are very slim.

I do know there were a lot of very delayed items over December that have taken weeks to arrive. 

(Also I’m not sure how much someone from Norway knows about “3rd world post offices”, but in my home country absolutely no one sends anything worth anything through the postal service, it’s all done by private courier. Mail goes missing and gets stolen constantly.  People don’t even want to send birthday cards in case someone thinks there’s cash inside and steals it. About the only things that still get sent are bills. USPS is an absolute dream compared to that.)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 hours ago, MrKo said:

I have spent a good amount of time recently reading here and there and haven't found a single official place / rule / regulation that ONLY accepts Naturalization Certificate as the evidence of US citizenship. Most of the incidents where they require NC instead of a US passport for citizenship evidence is due to human factors or human "errors", which is usually disputable and can be solved by going to another office or seeking help from supervisors. Of course, it's inconvenient , but luckily not prevalent that we need to deal with often.

The SSA accepts a valid US passport as the sole evidence, no need to show NC when a passport is present. Not only I've seen members on this forum who have updated their SSN records using only their passport, but the SSA official manual https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110210505 even says this:

NOTE: Due to processing efficiency, if an applicant presents both a U.S. passport and a Certificate of Naturalization (N-550/N-570) select U.S passport for proof of U.S. citizenship.

In theory, a passport itself should be the evidence of US citizenship. I certainly don't want to bring both to SSA to update the record. I plan to bring only the passport card and print out the information shown on the given site. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, lobo2000 said:

You have to submit Original NC or Copy while applying for Passport?

Both original NC and copy.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/apply-in-person.html

On 2/11/2021 at 6:34 PM, SusieQQQ said:

Husband’s passport arrived today. Didn’t track every step as closely as some others here but 

1/5 applied routine processing usps

approx 3 weeks later able to track on passport status website (it said received 1/15 but status did not show up till about a week after that)

2/8 notification of approval and mailing 

2/11 received (from a return address in NOLA?!)

still awaiting NC

NC arrived today, 2/19. Informed delivery had the “mail piece ..no image” note.

Timeline

Its been almost 2 weeks since I have applied for US passport, so far nothing showed up on the DOS website! Wondering if the current weather across the nation caused the delay!

2 hours ago, skim26 said:

Hi

I just got a citizenship las Friday. 

I am planning to apply for passport, since I will be traveling in April or May.

Should I update info on my SSN first? or does it matter if I do them at the same time? 

Any advice will be appreciated!

No need to do ssn first unless you have a name change 

Timeline
5 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

No need to do ssn first unless you have a name change 

I have a question why do we need to update SSN after citizenship? I have already update it once I became LPR and my SSN does not state anything like work authorization with DHS only!

4 hours ago, Charming12 said:

I have a question why do we need to update SSN after citizenship? I have already update it once I became LPR and my SSN does not state anything like work authorization with DHS only!

Tbh I’m not really sure becasue I haven’t had any issues for well over a year without doing it (have filed taxes, voted etc since) but apparently if you want to draw SSI or something it makes a difference

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
14 hours ago, Charming12 said:

So you can get benefits you qualify for. For example, if applying to schools you might want to access scholarships etc that are for citizens only and any other kind of benefits. Otherwise they'll have that you are still an LPR. 

Edited by Thegirl

Cateogory: CR1

• NOA1/Notice of receipt: Sept. 15, 2015
  • NOA2/I130 Approved: February 8, 2016 (NO RFE) :)
  • Process slowed down by us
  • Sent documents to NVC: April 11, 2016
  • Scan date: April 14/ May 7th (NVC said both I dont know why)
  • Case Complete: May 31, 2016 (No checklist) :dancing:

August 17, 2016: Visa Approved!!!! :dancing:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.