travis1983

Bringing parents of the wife from Phils

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ok, so I am jumping the gun, but all indications are my wife will be here in America in a few months on her 10 year perm greencard (IR).  So, she is an only child, which is uncommon in the PH, and her mom and dad are not in the best health and there are few to look after them. And yes, I am aware we can hire a nurse etc. That is not the point.

Her dad is a retired National Police Officer with a pension of about $500 + USD a month, mom  nothing.  My wife and I outright bought a house and lot, which the wife owns fully, in Metro Manila, and her parents reside there at no cost. We (I) also send a bit of money every month to help with extra costs. 

My wife and I are interested in bringing her mom and dad (about 62 years old each) to the US. What would the difference be with my wife bringing them as a perm resident vs my wife waiting 3 years until she is an American citizen and them bringing them to live in the USA?

We have also looked at a 10 year multiple entry tourist visa.

Any constructive advice is welcome in regards to bringing her parents over one way or another in regards to things such as finances, financials, etc etc.  I know of a few Filipinas who have brought parents over. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Only US citizens can petition for parents to immigrate to the US.

EDIT:  They are free to apply for a tourist visas....but they can not live in the US......they could make short visits.

Obtaining tourist visas for them will require that they qualify on their own merits.  There is nothing you can do.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, travis1983 said:

cool. so, to the rest of the question?

They are free to apply for a tourist visas....but they can not live in the US......they could make short visits.

Obtaining tourist visas for them will require that they qualify on their own merits by demonstrating strong ties to their country.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

24 minutes ago, travis1983 said:

Ok, so I am jumping the gun, but all indications are my wife will be here in America in a few months on her 10 year perm greencard (IR).  So, she is an only child, which is uncommon in the PH, and her mom and dad are not in the best health and there are few to look after them. And yes, I am aware we can hire a nurse etc. That is not the point.

The above in bold may be the biggest challenge. I don't know if you were knowledgeable about what immigration is trying to do to alleviate immigrants being public charge but bringing elderly parents that are not in good health may require you to prove insurance you will provide for them. And insurance is not cheap in the US. So best to start researching now.

My wife and I are interested in bringing her mom and dad (about 62 years old each) to the US. What would the difference be with my wife bringing them as a perm resident vs my wife waiting 3 years until she is an American citizen and them bringing them to live in the USA?

Nothing can be done until your wife becomes a US citizen. So if you account for processing times for naturalization, her parents are looking at 3.5 - 5 years before they would set foot in the US.

28 minutes ago, travis1983 said:

We have also looked at a 10 year multiple entry tourist visa.

This is an option for short visits. But the parents can NOT use this visa to live in the US. Also, frequent long visits may result in them losing the visitor visa. 

But them having their only child in the US may actually make it more difficult for them to obtain a visitor visa. The Philippines is difficult to obtain visitor visa to the US.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It does not sound like they have savings, they have minimal income, not enough to pay for health insurance never mind anything else, and they are retired, so what is the plan?

Seems  like 2 weeks vacation in the US would be half their annual income.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

The pension of $500 per month probably won’t even be enough for health insurance for one of them, much less any other costs. If you proceed with bringing them over once your wife has naturalized, you and your wife need to be very clear on understanding what it will cost you both to maintain them health-wise. Whether or not it will be required for immigration purposes by then, it is definitely something that needs to be properly understood by the sponsoring family.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 hours ago, travis1983 said:

Any constructive advice is welcome in regards to bringing her parents over one way or another in regards to things such as finances, financials, etc etc.

Best advice is that you have 4 or 5 years, until your wife has US citizenship and their visa process is at the interview stage, to figure out how to pay for private health insurance and other expenses for a couple in their mid-60s in poor health to immigrate to the US via a petition through their daughter after she becomes a US citizen.  They will not be eligible for Medicare so it could be pretty expensive.  Look into it and you will find out how expensive it really is.  That will be the biggest hurdle in my opinion, but you have lots of time to prepare for it financially.  Good luck! 

Edited by carmel34

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm guessing they have PhilHealth over there (the Philippines government health insurance?). If so, that should cover a good amount of hospital visits at public hospitals if they're needed. You could probably get round the clock help at home for $1K per month over there?

While I'm not guaranteeing that's the cost, the point is, just the health insurance here will be over $1k per month, plus deductibles which are likely to run over $500/month (6K per year) if you use it a lot. That cost is probably on the low end for 2 seniors. That doesn't include any home care.

Plus as seniors in the Philippines they get senior citizen cards which entitle them to discounts, first place in lines, etc.. that they won't get in the US.

Just something to think about before bringing them here...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.