cgcrooks

Passport about to expire with no green card

45 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, gramercygreen said:

Do you think the calling the consulate to see if they know a work-around might be helpful? This seems like a pretty edge case.

I've tried plenty of times. I even emailed both their email addresses, and nothing.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, cgcrooks said:

I've tried plenty of times. I even emailed both their email addresses, and nothing.

Ugh that sucks. Sorry. They should realize they're doing their citizen a disservice.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Really?  Based on your prior comment, I think I made a mistake.

Have you gone through the same situation or no?

Timeline
5 minutes ago, gramercygreen said:

Ugh that sucks. Sorry. They should realize they're doing their citizen a disservice.

Yea, this page was kind of like my last resort. 😑 So, if she gets an interview after the passport expires, we're SOL. I wouldn't know what to do. She would have no way of getting there.

Edited by cgcrooks

Your wife doesn't have any other form of Filipino ID?   Like a SSS, Postal ID, Philhealth Card or driver's license?  When my asawa did her passport they did not ask for anything other than her old passport.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Can you try directly contacting the Embassy in DC? This regards a citizen of the Philippines being essentially stranded in the US without any valid form of identification, and the SF consulate has not responded to your requests for help. I think it merits some escalation.

Sorry, I think for these types of edge-case situations, it might be easier to aggressively pursue contact with the Embassy, since it's LITERALLY their job to protect their citizens abroad.

Edited by gramercygreen

There are appointments available as soon as Feb 3rd.  I guess that is not soon enough.  OP doesn't have a timeline but should have been aware that passport was expiring and that getting a AP/EAD or GC was going to take time.   His wife could have gotten the passport taken care of anytime before coming to the US or any day afterwards.

This is another reminder of the issues of doing a K1 Visa.

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
12 minutes ago, gramercygreen said:

Can you try directly contacting the Embassy in DC? This regards a citizen of the Philippines being essentially stranded in the US without any valid form of identification, and the SF consulate has not responded to your requests for help. I think it merits some escalation.

Sorry, I think for these types of edge-case situations, it might be easier to aggressively pursue contact with the Embassy, since it's LITERALLY their job to protect their citizens abroad.

He has his answer,  he doesn't need anymore help

YMMV

Timeline
16 minutes ago, gramercygreen said:

Thank you very much for your comment. You're right, I need to be more aggressive about her situation.

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

There are appointments available as soon as Feb 3rd.  I guess that is not soon enough.  OP doesn't have a timeline but should have been aware that passport was expiring and that getting a AP/EAD or GC was going to take time.   His wife could have gotten the passport taken care of anytime before coming to the US or any day afterwards.

This is another reminder of the issues of doing a K1 Visa.

Thanks. I'm hoping no one else would have to go through the same. Not all of us have a lot of experience with visas and such.

16 minutes ago, cgcrooks said:

Thanks. I'm hoping no one else would have to go through the same. Not all of us have a lot of experience with visas and such.

I think you missed @payxibka point.   His wife was able to get a passport recently renewed in Chicago with just the old passport and the K1 VIsa.   (The visa noted on the from would have been a tourist, business, F1 visa, etc).   

I can also tell you that my wife got her new passport without furnishing any other ID other than her passport. I was standing right there holding all of her stuff.

When you get NOA for the AOS you can use that as proof of legal status for being in the US. 

Please fill in a timeline as it will help others answer your questions.

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

I think you missed @payxibka point.   His wife was able to get a passport recently renewed in Chicago with just the old passport and the K1 VIsa.   (The visa noted on the from would have been a tourist, business, F1 visa, etc).   

I can also tell you that my wife got her new passport without furnishing any other ID other than her passport. I was standing right there holding all of her stuff.

When you get NOA for the AOS you can use that as proof of legal status for being in the US. 

Please fill in a timeline as it will help others answer your questions.

Thank you. I will fill out my timeline.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.