dvensel1

H1B visa to a permanent resident visa

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello all my helpful friends.  I have a question and I can't seem to find the answer.

I have a friend who is here on a working visa.  Her partner is a green card holder and she wishes to change her visa status to (I think) a CR1.  Can this be done?  Can a working visa be changed to the permanent visa some way?  She would like to do it on her own if she can and I would help her with it (along with everyone on here too of course).  She still has time on her working visa now but wishes to start the process soon.

Can anyone point the way for her and me?  Maybe give us some info regarding forms or paperwork or whatever needs to be done?

I truly appreciate the responses to this question and hope we get an answer soon.  They're a wonderful couple and they'd like to stay together.  At this point, marriage is not considered however.  How can she do this Or can it be done?

Thanks in advance...

Doug

(the super happy guy who has paid it forward many time due to the help I got from this site) (God bless you all!!)

"Remember, I'm pullin' for ya. We're all in this together". Red Green.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
18 minutes ago, dvensel1 said:

Her partner is a green card holder and she wishes to change her visa status to (I think) a CR1. (....)They're a wonderful couple and they'd like to stay together.  At this point, marriage is not considered however. 

A CR-1 is a spouse visa. 

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

There is no way to obtain a greencard through a friend.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Timeline

Is her employer willing to sponsor her for a green card?  That's the only route that seems feasible if marriage is off the table.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

If she marries a green card holder it is a F2A not CR1 category. Unlike marrying a US citizen, note that she would not be able to adjust status if she has ever been out of status, and overstay would not be forgiven. She would therefore likely need to return home to await visa processing depending on when her current status expires and what the priority date on her petition might be, assuming the category retrogresses from current. 
there is no non-marriage path. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
Just now, SusieQQQ said:

If she marries a green card holder it is a F2A not CR1 category. Unlike marrying a US citizen, note that she would not be able to adjust status if she has ever been out of status, and overstay would not be forgiven. She would therefore likely need to return home to await visa processing depending on when her current status expires and what the priority date on her petition might be, assuming the category retrogresses from current. 

According to OP they don't wish to marry.

41 minutes ago, dvensel1 said:

Hello all my helpful friends.  I have a question and I can't seem to find the answer.

I have a friend who is here on a working visa.  Her partner is a green card holder and she wishes to change her visa status to (I think) a CR1.  Can this be done?  Can a working visa be changed to the permanent visa some way?  She would like to do it on her own if she can and I would help her with it (along with everyone on here too of course).  She still has time on her working visa now but wishes to start the process soon.

Can anyone point the way for her and me?  Maybe give us some info regarding forms or paperwork or whatever needs to be done?

I truly appreciate the responses to this question and hope we get an answer soon.  They're a wonderful couple and they'd like to stay together.  At this point, marriage is not considered however.  How can she do this Or can it be done?

Thanks in advance...

Doug

(the super happy guy who has paid it forward many time due to the help I got from this site) (God bless you all!!)

get the employer to sponsor for green card through employment based categories like Eb1/2/3.  If the friend is from backlogged like China or India the expected wait time  can be significant. Friends cannot sponsor friends. There is no category for that yet.

If your friend has 800,000$ spare change they can file for green card through EB5 investor program

Edited by Donald120383

duh

8 minutes ago, Going through said:

According to OP they don't wish to marry.

I picked that up afterwards, wonder what the point of mentioning the partner was then?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
26 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I picked that up afterwards, wonder what the point of mentioning the partner was then?

I had to read it twice as we would naturally suppose this was going to be a marriage situation.

So taking all that out of consideration she wants her Employer to sponsor her. Very little for her to do, Employer/Lawyer does most of it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

13 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I had to read it twice as we would naturally suppose this was going to be a marriage situation.

So taking all that out of consideration she wants her Employer to sponsor her. Very little for her to do, Employer/Lawyer does most of it.

Somewhat confusing as she is already here on a work visa, one assumes this would have been a conversation already had. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Somewhat confusing as she is already here on a work visa, one assumes this would have been a conversation already had. 

True, quite often the conversation is had before a move - will you sponsor me if I want to stay and when.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

14 hours ago, dvensel1 said:

Thanks in advance...

Doug

It is good that you are trying to help, Doug. The only thing you can do is provide knowledge to your friends about their options. And, unfortunately, her options are very few. There are no sponsorship for friends (and likely won't ever be). Your fiend's only option for now is through her employer. And if her employer is not willing to sponsor her, she will not be able to be a permanent resident.

As already mentioned, she could marry a US citizen. But that does not seem like a possible option now with the relationship she currently has.

Immigration is very limited. Sometimes it can be dispiriting for those who have little to no other options than the one they already have. But your friend can still utilize her current work visa and her employer (or another employer) may be willing to sponsor her in the future.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks so much gang.  Happily she got in touch with her sponsor and he processed her permanent visa application.  She had her Bio  4 days ago, so it looks like it'll be on its way soon and this point is now moot.

God Bless you all.  I love this site.

"Remember, I'm pullin' for ya. We're all in this together". Red Green.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.