Aye26

Can I change my parents status from B1 to permanent resident

39 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I’m a USC my parents are here in the US under B1 status. My question is can i adjust their status? If so, what form should I use? Thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Aye26 said:

I’m a USC my parents are here in the US under B1 status. My question is can i adjust their status? If so, what form should I use? Thanks

Yes, and there are guides on this site on this topic 

YMMV

Timeline
1 minute ago, payxibka said:

Yes, and there are guides on this site on this topic 

I just dont know where to start? What form will i be using? Should i fill up the i-130 and the AOS form?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, Aye26 said:

I just dont know where to start? What form will i be using? Should i fill up the i-130 and the AOS form?

You start by reading the guides.   There is also an forum on this process as well, that you would benefit by visiting and reading posts contained

YMMV

24 minutes ago, Aye26 said:

Start here: https://www.visajourney.com/guides/

Choose the guide for parents.

Basically, you file forms I-130/I-485/I-131/I-765 all together for EACH parent. So you gotta do two sets, 1 set for each parent. 

Treat each of the form separately, meaning read the instructions very carefully for each form and attached the required support documents for each form. 

Once filed, your parents cannot leave the US or work in the US until their I-131 and I-765 are approved, which would be 6-10 months. 

If you have any other specific questions, please post. 

Timeline
17 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Start here: https://www.visajourney.com/guides/

Choose the guide for parents.

Basically, you file forms I-130/I-485/I-131/I-765 all together for EACH parent. So you gotta do two sets, 1 set for each parent. 

Treat each of the form separately, meaning read the instructions very carefully for each form and attached the required support documents for each form. 

Once filed, your parents cannot leave the US or work in the US until their I-131 and I-765 are approved, which would be 6-10 months. 

If you have any other specific questions, please post. 

Thank you! I gathered the supporting documents already and I will start the process soon and will keep posted here :)

1 minute ago, Aye26 said:

Also, we are 5 in the household. How much it should be the total annual income to petition both parents?

https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

Remember, the number is just a minimum to qualify. The adjudicating officer will look at the totality of your circumstances to make a decision. 

Timeline
15 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Your parents obviously don’t have major assets or anything back home if they can come on a visit and just stay, do they plan on working at some stage once they eventually get EADs or are they retired? Minimum income  for 7 people is just under $49k, we have seen quite a few reports lately of people being asked for more than minimum. No health issues with the parents I presume. 

(As an aside,  we really need to start a reference list of threads like this for every time someone from x country complains their parents can’t get a visit visa.)

They’re retired and have been going back and forth here in the US and prior that US visa they travelled 2-3 countries which the USCIS gave them B1 visa. Now, they wanting to stay bcuz of grandkids. The assets they have back home owned a house but after they left Philippines its for rental place now.

1 minute ago, Aye26 said:

They’re retired and have been going back and forth here in the US and prior that US visa they travelled 2-3 countries which the USCIS gave them B1 visa. Now, they wanting to stay bcuz of grandkids. The assets they have back home owned a house but after they left Philippines its for rental place now.

Yeah so if they are retired you might find you are asked to show for example that you have funds to cover their health insurance etc, we have seen some threads like that. Have you looked into what the cost of insurance will be for them, it’s an important consideration anyway. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

According to my State Health Care Exchange $25k would be about what 2 people would need aged 65 to cover their healthcare costs, on average.

Really a money issue, if they can afford to retire to the US go for it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
5 hours ago, Aye26 said:

Thank you! I gathered the supporting documents already and I will start the process soon and will keep posted here :)

Do i need the i-864?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.