KittyKat3072

Appointments and Petition Expiries

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

So after much anxiety over getting an appointment, one has finally been scheduled. The date that has been set is after the expiry of the original petition, so my question is should we take any preemptive action in requesting an extension of the original petition? It's also later than we were hoping for, has anyone had any luck with requesting an earlier appointment? If so, what steps did you take for that?

Some embassies will automatically extend, but I firmly believe in being proactive and for peace of mind. Send an email requesting an extension. 

Edited by Emw2290

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I found some info relating to this issue in the document on the Sydney’s US embassy regarding the K1 visa interview. https://au.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/fiancee-visa/the-interview/

according to that, we just need a new letter from the USC stating their intention to marry and to seek an extension of the 4 month period if it expires before the interview. 

Timeline
18 hours ago, ECCK said:

I found some info relating to this issue in the document on the Sydney’s US embassy regarding the K1 visa interview. https://au.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/fiancee-visa/the-interview/

according to that, we just need a new letter from the USC stating their intention to marry and to seek an extension of the 4 month period if it expires before the interview. 

So just a letter, no additional forms to extend the petition validity?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
On 1/4/2020 at 4:36 PM, KittyKat3072 said:

So just a letter, no additional forms to extend the petition validity?

https://au.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/81/K-Required-Documents.pdf

Your I-129F petition may expire by the time you attend your final visa interview. To revalidate your petition, please have your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) provide you with a letter requesting that your petition be extended to a further 4 months from the approval date of the I-129F petition. This letter must be dated and signed by your fiancé(e) The letter from your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) should state their intention to still marry you within 90 days of your arrival into the U.S. with the K-1 visa and that you both are still free to marry.

On 1/3/2020 at 12:32 PM, KittyKat3072 said:

So after much anxiety over getting an appointment, one has finally been scheduled. The date that has been set is after the expiry of the original petition, so my question is should we take any preemptive action in requesting an extension of the original petition? It's also later than we were hoping for, has anyone had any luck with requesting an earlier appointment? If so, what steps did you take for that?

congrats on the appointment! we got Doc qualified Dec 4, and still haven't received an appointment letter for sydney.  how long did you have to wait until you got the appointment? and what was the timeframe between receiving the letter and the actual appointment? we may be in the same boat as things expiring, so hoping it comes soon!

Timeline
20 hours ago, stephanie918 said:

congrats on the appointment! we got Doc qualified Dec 4, and still haven't received an appointment letter for sydney.  how long did you have to wait until you got the appointment? and what was the timeframe between receiving the letter and the actual appointment? we may be in the same boat as things expiring, so hoping it comes soon!

So the consulate emailed us Received notice and the "p3"  on Dec 17, we responded within hours. Then we didnt hear anything back except a confirmation of receiving the email. We emailed them on the I think Dec 23. They responded on Dec 27 basically saying they were booked full for the next two months and they would let us know. We then got an email with an appointment date on Jan 3 of March 31. We emailed them back to see if we could get and earlier appointment and they said no they were full. So 16-17 days from receiving and appointment email. 

It seems pretty simple to extend your approval date for the I-129f. Just writing another intention of marriage letter saying you are still wanting to go through with the k1 Visa and are going to marry in 90 days upon the fiance arriving in the US. 

I bet it has to do with the holidays and the fires. But who knows what goes on in that fortress. Lol.

Did you receive your email from them saying they received your approved petition? And have your responded to it yet? Just to make sure I'm on the same page as you.

2 hours ago, KittyKat3072 said:

So the consulate emailed us Received notice and the "p3"  on Dec 17, we responded within hours. Then we didnt hear anything back except a confirmation of receiving the email. We emailed them on the I think Dec 23. They responded on Dec 27 basically saying they were booked full for the next two months and they would let us know. We then got an email with an appointment date on Jan 3 of March 31. We emailed them back to see if we could get and earlier appointment and they said no they were full. So 16-17 days from receiving and appointment email. 

It seems pretty simple to extend your approval date for the I-129f. Just writing another intention of marriage letter saying you are still wanting to go through with the k1 Visa and are going to marry in 90 days upon the fiance arriving in the US. 

I bet it has to do with the holidays and the fires. But who knows what goes on in that fortress. Lol.

Did you receive your email from them saying they received your approved petition? And have your responded to it yet? Just to make sure I'm on the same page as you.

thank you! ours might be a bit different as it's a spouse visa, so not sure we get the same paperwork.  That said, it's still good to know that sydney is backed up a bit, that makes me feel better about not getting a date yet.  We didn't get an email about an approved petition, we got an email saying we have been documentarily qualified and that they'd work with Sydney to organize an interview date...but nothing further. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, stephanie918 said:

thank you! ours might be a bit different as it's a spouse visa, so not sure we get the same paperwork.  That said, it's still good to know that sydney is backed up a bit, that makes me feel better about not getting a date yet.  We didn't get an email about an approved petition, we got an email saying we have been documentarily qualified and that they'd work with Sydney to organize an interview date...but nothing further. 

Well good luck, I hope you hear something soon!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.