portorusa

to ask the passport be returned

66 posts in this topic

Just now, portorusa said:

If they think something is still missing, why  don’t they just reach us and ask? We would be more than happy to provide it. Like I said, we have nothing to hide. 

It makes no sense to ask for Police Certificate of a child who is less than 16 y.o. and who had never had any problems with the law. Yet we provided this document and the Embassy confirmed they received it. Then why the child’s case still has no updates?

I thought you said you had withdrawn the child’s visa application because he had decided not to come to the US?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

In my husband’s passport all travel history consists of three trips from France to USA to see me. We want to make four, what is wrong with that? The passport is his property, why is it wrong or “risky” to ask it back?

The only thing that bothers us is, What if they return the passport but cancel his ESTA? I searched everywhere for similar experience but couldn’t find the answer.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

I thought you said you had withdrawn the child’s visa application because he had decided not to come to the US?

The child is not coming. At least not at this time. And no, we did not withdraw anything.

3 minutes ago, portorusa said:

In my husband’s passport all travel history consists of three trips from France to USA to see me. We want to make four, what is wrong with that? The passport is his property, why is it wrong or “risky” to ask it back?

The only thing that bothers us is, What if they return the passport but cancel his ESTA? I searched everywhere for similar experience but couldn’t find the answer.

Passports are the property of the issuing government.

if you believe that the hold up is related to his son’s application, why haven’t you simply cancelled it?

Edited by Jorgedig

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

Passports are the property of the issuing government.

if you believe that the hold up is related to his son’s application, why haven’t you simply cancelled it?

I believe it was said in a previous post that they did not want to cancel the sons visa in case he changes his mind about moving before it expires 

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

if you believe that the hold up is related to his son’s application, why haven’t you simple cancelled it?

I never said I believe them. After all their promises to believe them? No way.

We want to keep the door open for the child. Besides, we are afraid to create a mess if we withdraw CR2 now. 

1 minute ago, portorusa said:

I never said I believe them. After all their promises to believe them? No way.

We want to keep the door open for the child. Besides, we are afraid to create a mess if we withdraw CR2 now. 

Ah, okay.

Well, since they have received the requested document and haven’t asked for anything else, it is safe to say that the visa application may be undergoing further background checks.  

Like others in this thread, I would really hesitate to request the passport and travel abroad for 87 days.  What if they want to issue it imminently?  What if they want him to come in for a second interview, but he can’t, because he’s just arrived in the US for three months?  Could be shooting yourselves in the foot.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

We do not know if he can travel on the VWP, never mind being admitted for such a long stay.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

No risk, no champagne! Husband submitted his request for the passport. Let’s see what happens. The flight is booked for Jan.18th. (it’s possible to change the date though). And before he travels, he will check the status of his ESTA.

Goodluck!  After all this waiting I dunno why you guys dont decide to just wait a bit more and get the Passport back WITH the Visa in it... They can't just tell you when that might be?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

I understand the frustration of being away from each other. My husband was in Spain and they kept his passport in his first interview in February 2018 but they gave  him the DS-5535 form to email in. We did the same day of the interview. In June of 2018 he requested his passport back due to work. They sent it to him but it also triggered the embassy to request an updated DS-5535 with any new travels he did. Instead of my husband coming to me, I went to Spain several times while we waited.

Edited by tiyyo

Married: 09/01/02016

I-130 sent: 11/21/2016

NOA1 received: 11/25/2016

NOA1 hard copy: 11/30/2016

NOA2 hard copy: 09/21/2017

NVC received: 10/01/2017

DS-261 completed: 10/06/2017

AOS paid: 10/11/2017

IV fee paid: 10/20/2017

DS-260 completed: 10/25/2017

AOS/IV mailed: 10/26/2017

AOS/IV received: 10/31/2017

CC12/06/2017

Interview: 02/20/2018   AP:(

2nd Interview: 02/25/2019 (It was a STOKES!! I think I surprised them because I all ready had a trip planned over there to see him!!!)

Visa in hand! 08/12/2019

Arrived in US: 10/10/2019

10 year green card: 11/08/2019

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

OP presumably can visit.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

How long have they had his passport?  It’s standard for the Embassy to keep it in order to affix the visa to a page in it.

Since all applications go through AP, it’s hard to gauge how long his could last for, but generally when they request to keep it, it’s because they don’t assume it will be an extended delay.

I understand that logically it seems silly for CBP to think someone would go through the whole visa process, get to the final stages, and then blow it by entering on VWP and just stay, but they are to determine immigration intent, and simply, he has that because of the pending visa, so they could refuse him at entry.

I would suggest, if it’s been a week or two, to send a gentle email to the Embassy to inquire of the status.  Maybe that will prompt the visa to be issued. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.