portorusa

to ask the passport be returned

66 posts in this topic

Why don't you go visit him?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just got back from holidays and saw this thread.  I agree with the others who suggest that a little more waiting might be in order here...  You just submitted the requested document a month ago, before the holidays when things normally slow down at embassies anyway, and this is AP in Paris, a VWP country, not a high fraud country where AP can take months and months.  The visa is likely going to be issued very soon unless there is an unforeseen problem.  Your frustration is understandable, but a little more patience and your husband will likely have his spousal visa.  Asking for the passport could slow down the issuance of the visa.  Good luck!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Thanks for all replies! I appreciate everyone’s concern and see the reason for it. Between September 2018 and September 2019 I visited my husband 3 times, 10 days each visit. I wish it could be more and longer but I work full-time and exhausted all accumulated vacation (God bless the corporate America). Due to the recent promotion and being understaffed asking for vacation is out of the question. I cannot risk losing a good job, I have mortgage and bills to pay as well as financial obligation to my French family moving here.

Its been 4 weeks in AP, and counting. We do not trust the Paris Embassy. The stress of being apart for the holidays could have been avoided if we knew to be wiser in the beginning. His flight before Christmas had to be cancelled. That rightfully got our frustration escalated. We refuse to continue to suffer like slaves and be at mercy of the American bureaucrats. We miss each other and want to be together.

I think you should just wait for him to get here! 

Or you should travel to France! If you ask for his passport back while he is in AP you will add soooo much drama to your petition! 

Timeline

It’s useless to contact the Embassy, on the phone or by email makes no difference. We tried several times and still no progress, no explanation and zero accountability. They just don’t care.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, mari1991 said:

I think you should just wait for him to get here! 

Or you should travel to France! If you ask for his passport back while he is in AP you will add soooo much drama to your petition! 

It’s already drama on the verge of becoming farce. So many people in this senseless suffering due to the stupid system. Thanks to Trump and his administration.

I explained already why I cannot travel now.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, portorusa said:

It’s already drama on the verge of becoming farce. So many people in this senseless suffering due to the stupid system. Thanks to Trump and his administration.

How different was it under Obama?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

20 minutes ago, portorusa said:

Ask for his passport and be willing to accept the additional delays you'll create then.  

It's not easy to be apart, but, all things considered, it's been a very short time since the interview.  

Edited by Lemonslice

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My suggestion is this, the holiday is over a so give it a full work week before requesting for your passport back. Almost same thing happened to us and it wan't because of AP, I went for my interview on Thursday May 23 before memorial day, then my home country had different federal holidays the following week and week after. In short, I didn't get my visa till June 28. There is no more holiday so give it a full work week or two. Good luck

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
11 hours ago, portorusa said:

No risk, no champagne! Husband submitted his request for the passport. Let’s see what happens. The flight is booked for Jan.18th. (it’s possible to change the date though). And before he travels, he will check the status of his ESTA.

If the couple are able to not see their/his child for a long time after the husband immigrates to the US, I'm sure they can handle not seeing each other for a few more weeks or months while the visa gets processed...However, there's no need to give any more advice in this thread as the OP and her husband have already made up their minds and asked for the passport back. I hope she keeps us updated. Good luck!

~~~

1 hour ago, portorusa said:

Girl I hear ya! 

My husband waited 16 months! It’s hard I completely understand. 

I spoke to our immigration lawyer about AP and he said that sometimes writing your state senator will help if your case has been in AP outside normal processing time. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There is no normal processing time for AP.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
57 minutes ago, MorganandMichael said:

You’re in an extremely privileged position compared to many, and it seems like a lot of your complaints are from things you have brought on yourself, just as you have brought on this delay by not just being patient. 

Nobody "brought" nothing on themselves, it's called life circumstances, my dear. You seem to be young, and may have more patience, good for you. My husband and I are approaching retirement, and life is too short. We already feel being "robbed" of many, many days that could otherwise be lived in happiness.

It's not ethical to try to shame me into my "privileged position", as well as to compare my situation with the others. Do I feel sorry for those in the same boat? You bet, I am. But it doesn't change the fact of an opportunity to see my husband sooner. It is present, it is there. And we are willing to take a risk. The worst case scenario is being sent back at the border. But at least we tried.

If my husband were say, from Pakistan, I might have not opened this topic. And there is an option on the Embassy website to request your passport while being in AP, and it's for a reason, so we think we do have this reason. Even if most people here disagree, and I understand it, too.

For those saying that asking the passport back may slow down the process, I disagree. Passport or no passport, Administrative Processing is under way. Just ask those whose passports were returned to them post-interview and pre-AP, then asked be sent to the Embassy as soon as AP is completed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.