Voice of Reason

The derailment exempt thread

1,436 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

That's what happens when you store nearly 3,000 tons of ammonium nitrate improperly.

I was doing a some reading about the Texas explosion of 1947. Up until yesterday it was supposed to be the deadliest industrial accident and biggest non-nuclear explosion on earth. I think this Beirut explosion probably rivals that. Horrifying!

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Timeline
13 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

I was doing a some reading about the Texas explosion of 1947. Up until yesterday it was supposed to be the deadliest industrial accident and biggest non-nuclear explosion on earth. I think this Beirut explosion probably rivals that. Horrifying!

Yeah, I saw that too.  Pretty scary for those living within a few miles of it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, yuna628 said:

check out the halifax explosion.  2k deaths, about 9k injured.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

16 hours ago, Ban Hammer said:

check out the halifax explosion.  2k deaths, about 9k injured.

And even with that, and even with how bad Beiruit was the other day, both still pale in comparison to the damage De Blasio and Cuomo have done in NY in recent months.

Timeline

and my son just now:  "dad, did you hear the rumor about butter?  i did, but i can't spread it"

great, i'm even getting tbone style jokes at home now...........

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
5 hours ago, Ban Hammer said:

i'm even getting tbone style jokes at home now

Relish -- nay man, revel in -- such blessings as have been bestowed on you, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

and from babylon bee.....The Official NASA Guide To More Inclusive Space Terms

117227262_2785629665000256_5452289450504

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I put Alex in the doghouse for not telling me before he decided unilaterally to turn a couple socially distanced beers with a friend into many socially distanced drinks, so many that he couldn't drive home last night. I'm pleased he didn't drive home like that, but since he stayed the night there to recover, he put himself in a situation where he was staying indoors without a mask in someone else's home. Not cool. I am just about over being angry about it. It's not me saying, oh, you can't see your friends, or even, don't drink that much (I get it, he was feeling like he hadn't been able to be "normal" in a long time and he went for it). But he made the decision to do it without thinking of me. If he had told me he wanted to do this beforehand, I would have driven him to Malibu and come back and picked him up whenever he wanted. But since he had the car, I was stuck. 

He knows he owes me one on this.

Timeline
1 hour ago, laylalex said:

I put Alex in the doghouse for not telling me before he decided unilaterally to turn a couple socially distanced beers with a friend into many socially distanced drinks, so many that he couldn't drive home last night. I'm pleased he didn't drive home like that, but since he stayed the night there to recover, he put himself in a situation where he was staying indoors without a mask in someone else's home. Not cool. I am just about over being angry about it. It's not me saying, oh, you can't see your friends, or even, don't drink that much (I get it, he was feeling like he hadn't been able to be "normal" in a long time and he went for it). But he made the decision to do it without thinking of me. If he had told me he wanted to do this beforehand, I would have driven him to Malibu and come back and picked him up whenever he wanted. But since he had the car, I was stuck. 

poor alex, consigned to the dog house.

he owes you one what? 

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
3 hours ago, laylalex said:

a friend

How female and cute was this friend, huh LL ma'am?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

5 hours ago, laylalex said:

Get over your self-inflated opinion of yourself.  He drank with friends.  He drank alcohol.  Alcohol kills germs.  He's good.

All he owes you is honesty, and it sounds like he delivered.

Give him a few inches, and he won't have to take a few miles.

Edited by Voice of Reason

10 hours ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

Ahh, the good ol' ball and chain days. Miss those like I miss hangovers. 

I really do try hard not to be a nag, and I felt awful for being so angry with him. But at the same time, we try really hard to be good communicators since we both had issues with this in our first marriages. I didn't have an issue with him going drinking and having a good time, I had an issue with him breaking an agreement we had in place to run things by each other first, even if we know the other will say yes. So if I want to see my sister, I tell him first. He said he wanted to go see his friend, and he told me first. Not like we could stop each other, but it's all in aid of us keeping doors open. If he had called me to say he wanted to drink more than a couple of beers earlier in the evening, I could have arranged with a friend who lives nearby, and who is part of my bubble, to drive me up there to collect him and the car. But by the time I heard, it was too late to do that. Just disappointed.

10 hours ago, Ban Hammer said:

poor alex, consigned to the dog house.

he owes you one what? 

The price is yet to be determined. I have my eye on a piece of jewelry that's up in San Francisco -- nothing too expensive. :devil:

9 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

How female and cute was this friend, huh LL ma'am?

He is male and looks exactly what you think an data scientist in his late 30s who's really into playing Magic the Gathering looks like. :lol:  

7 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Get over your self-inflated opinion of yourself.  He drank with friends.  He drank alcohol.  Alcohol kills germs.  He's good.

All he owes you is honesty, and it sounds like he delivered.

Give him a few inches, and he won't have to take a few miles.

As I mentioned, it wasn't the drinking that was the issue, it was him going against an agreement we had. :( I appreciated him being a safe driver and honest about what he was doing. But it was a teachable moment, definitely. And I give him plenty of room! He has the entire second bedroom as his office, including the daybed where I banished him. :blush:

We are all good now, he made it up to me by being apologetic and lovely and making dinner for me last night (I talked him through assembling the pizza while I drank the champagne he bought me). He even submitted to watching Legally Blonde with me, which he had never seen before. He said it explained a lot about me. :lol: 

Timeline
2 hours ago, laylalex said:

He said it explained a lot about me. :lol: 

🤣

* ~ * Charles * ~ *