Voice of Reason

The derailment exempt thread

1,436 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

It’s only $10 a bottle.  Please let the liberal lady enjoy the fruits of her labors.

It's a local, women-owned business I'm happy to support. It costs more because the ingredients are high quality and the workers are paid well. Don't know what is wrong with any of that. :) Glad to support my local community.

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, laylalex said:

It's a local, women-owned business I'm happy to support. It costs more because the ingredients are high quality and the workers are paid well. Don't know what is wrong with any of that. :) Glad to support my local community.

Are the ingredients high quality because it says so on the label?  Or have you personally supervised the picking of the fruits and veggies? 🤪

Edited by Voice of Reason

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Are the ingredients high quality because it says so on the label?  Or have you personally supervised the picking of the fruits and veggies? 🤪

My understanding is that the ingredients (all organic) are purchased in local farmer's markets. So I suppose I could just walk over on Wednesday and ask. :) (Can't make the one tomorrow.)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
7 hours ago, laylalex said:

I live with someone who can eat an entire bag of Doritos and sink a few beers on the regular and he doesn't gain a thing.

Just wait. :devil: 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
On 6/11/2020 at 7:49 PM, Ban Hammer said:

world of warships [...] the hooker

Reminds me of an argument that I overheard between two military guys -- one said, "Your mother swims after troop ships!"

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
7 hours ago, laylalex said:

My understanding is that the ingredients (all organic) are purchased in local farmer's markets. So I suppose I could just walk over on Wednesday and ask. :) (Can't make the one tomorrow.)

soylent green was organic too.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

18 hours ago, Ban Hammer said:

is the name what it causes to your lower intestines 12 hours later........lots of destress?   :P

P.T Barnum said something 

22 hours ago, laylalex said:

"Organic" has virtually zero meaning when it comes to food labeling.  Many items labeled "organic" are very bad for you.

11 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

"Organic" has virtually zero meaning when it comes to food labeling.  Many items labeled "organic" are very bad for you.

It would be helpful if you elaborate. There are general standards for levels of pesticides and fertilizers required for organic certification. I would say it is more important to look at the actual ingredients. Some ingredients are not good for you regardless, and being organic doesn't change that,  but I would not say the organic label doesn't give you some information. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Well, I am going to pick up more juices today. "Organic" definitely has a meaning as Steeleballz points out. The ingredients in these juices are all fruits, vegetables, spices, plant extracts and water. That's about it. (Maybe they sell a boba tea? Not sure.) All I know is I think they're delicious, which is as good a reason as any to buy them. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

So what is the difference between bananas and the twice-the-price organic bananas sitting beside them?

capitalism! 

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

32 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

So what is the difference between bananas and the twice-the-price organic bananas sitting beside them?

It depends on the supply chain. Certain growers of conventional bananas may have better human rights records than organic farms, so it might be a better choice to buy those conventionally grown bananas if that's important to you. It is to me. But bananas are one of the food items where the difference between conventional and organic in terms of safety is pretty much nothing. The Dirty Dozen/Clean Fifteen lists out there spell out where it's worth it and where it's pretty much not necessary.

Okay, someone here is whingeing about needing a burrito so I'd better go take care of that! 

1 minute ago, laylalex said:

It depends on the supply chain. Certain growers of conventional bananas may have better human rights records than organic farms, so it might be a better choice to buy those conventionally grown bananas if that's important to you. It is to me. But bananas are one of the food items where the difference between conventional and organic in terms of safety is pretty much nothing. The Dirty Dozen/Clean Fifteen lists out there spell out where it's worth it and where it's pretty much not necessary.

Okay, someone here is whingeing about needing a burrito so I'd better go take care of that! 

You research the practices of the various companies that grow/harvest/ship your produce?  If so, you should consider getting a job or a hobby.  I have never thought about where the food I buy comes from, only about the price-gouging companies.