MarryMe987654

Employment Strategy

3 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I need some advice on employment decision. This is hard for me to decide on since I recently immigrated and US is a completely new territory and I'm not sure how employment process works in the US. 

I was a Quality Assurance/Software Tester and planned on pursuing that career here. Since I assumed I won't be working for awhile, I planned on getting some certifications done but my EAD got approved sooner than expected. 

Now, my brother will be getting married in Mag 2020 and I might need to take a week off to travel to the Philippines because of this, I am considering doing a work-from-home jobs temporarily so I can save up some for the May trip and easily resign from the temp job then when I return to the US, I will start to focus on trying to get a QA job. 

Here are my concerns:

1) Will future employer have a negative impression on the most recent short job history?

2) How long is the whole employment process from being interviewed to actually working? 

3) Should I just apply for QA jobs right away or should I work on my certifications first? 

4) If I ended up getting a QA job, will they let me take a week off in May even though I am new to the company?

Thanks for all your inputs in advance :)

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

Apr 23, 2024: CEAC website shows "Paid"

Apr 25, 2024: Uploaded Civil and Financial documents

May 1, 2024: Documents accepted except for marriage certificate (unreadable) and death certificate (wrong file)

May 3, 2024: Ordered marriage certificate and death certificate from PSA online

May 9, 2024: Received email from PSA that marriage cert is blurred/eligible--will need 15 more days for reverification

May 22, 2024: Marriage Cert received from PSA (death cert was delivered 2 weeks earlier)

May 23, 2024: Uploaded new files to the CEAC website

May 29, 2024: Documentary Qualified

July 13, 2024: Expedite Request to NVC

July 15, 2024: NVC responded that it will forward the request to the embassy

July 16, 2024: Expedite request rejected by the embassy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

With respect to your questions - as a hiring manager this is what I would suggest.  

You need to make sure you're eligible to work in the US so that process has to be completed first.  

You should make a resume that encompasses your work experience in the desired industry in which you wish to work.  For example if your QA experience is in industrial manufacturing then include those jobs, years of employment, any particular awards or accomplishments and or promotions you received during your tenure at each employer.  Don't list irrelevant information as most hiring managers spend about a minute on any potential resume looking for key information.  If it's not there the resume goes into the rejected pile.  It's harsh but true.  

1) If it's just a temporary job to help make ends meet while you're working on your certificate then I wouldn't even list it.

2) The time period is unique to each company and type of job.  The US is a very tight job market at the moment meaning there aren't enough qualified persons to fill jobs.  We'll generally list a position for two weeks and then conduct phone screening interviews with the qualified candidates.  We'll then conduct in person interviews.  This process takes about 2 weeks.  We'll then make an offer to the person we feel is best.  Then depending on the company there may be a background check and drug screening before the new employee can start work.  

3) That depends on your job history - If you have 20 years of experience in QA then a certificate hurt but also won't help your opportunities for a new job.  If you have less than 5 years of experience then I'd suggest getting the certification first.  

4)  Most companies will work with candidates so long as you make the request during the later interview processes.  You may not be eligible for vacation pay but if a good qualified candidate asked if they could have a week off to go to their brother's wedding then I would be fine with that.   

Good luck!!!

@RT&MB, this is very helpful. Thank you so much :)

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

Apr 23, 2024: CEAC website shows "Paid"

Apr 25, 2024: Uploaded Civil and Financial documents

May 1, 2024: Documents accepted except for marriage certificate (unreadable) and death certificate (wrong file)

May 3, 2024: Ordered marriage certificate and death certificate from PSA online

May 9, 2024: Received email from PSA that marriage cert is blurred/eligible--will need 15 more days for reverification

May 22, 2024: Marriage Cert received from PSA (death cert was delivered 2 weeks earlier)

May 23, 2024: Uploaded new files to the CEAC website

May 29, 2024: Documentary Qualified

July 13, 2024: Expedite Request to NVC

July 15, 2024: NVC responded that it will forward the request to the embassy

July 16, 2024: Expedite request rejected by the embassy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.