zafi

green card for parents

25 posts in this topic

I am going to apply for my parents green card soon I am us citizen what are the requirements and steps to bring parents in usa?I am not working full time.as couple we don't earn more than 30000$ we both work part time will it make it harder for  my parents to get visa do i need to get unsubsidized  heath insurance for my parents  even before getting visa overseas from usa embassy?

Minimum required income for a household of 4 (you, your husband, your parents) is $32187. Do you have someone who can be a joint sponsor?

Depending on age and health of your parents, COs may want to see ability to fund health insurance despite it not being law yet. Some petitioners have been reporting this for a while now.

What is the plan to financially support them? Health insurance alone is likely going to run in the 4 digits per  month each, if not more.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

3 minutes ago, zafi said:

4 digit means 1000$/month for each individual.its very expensive.they gonna live us for couple of months and then will go back to home country.primary purpose of bringing them to USA  is to file for my siblings through parents 

Well, that’s not going to work. Who’s going to be the financial sponsor for the siblings? Your parents have to actually live in the US to (1) keep their green cards (2) complete the sponsor process for your siblings (3) earn enough US-based income to sponsor your siblings. 

How old are your siblings?

Edited by SusieQQQ

siblings are over 21.I understand it could take close to 7 years for siblings to receive visa after filing in USA.can I sponsor them and parents to be the main petitioner would that work?I think usa embassy would need sponsor documents at time of interview and that time might come up around in next 8 years or more I heard green card holders can get 1 or 2 years permission from uscis and can go back to their native country is it compulsory for green card holders parents to stay in usa while petitions for kids is pending?sorry for asking too many questions

5 minutes ago, zafi said:

siblings are over 21.I understand it could take close to 7 years for siblings to receive visa after filing in USA.can I sponsor them and parents to be the main petitioner would that work?I think usa embassy would need sponsor documents at time of interview and that time might come up around in next 8 years or more I heard green card holders can get 1 or 2 years permission from uscis and can go back to their native country is it compulsory for green card holders parents to stay in usa while petitions for kids is pending?sorry for asking too many questions

Maximum time out they can get with re-entry permits is 5 years. Won’t be enough.

You can be a financial joint sponsor but they as main sponsors need to be living in the US. Not to state the obvious that from the above you don’t even make enough to sponsor your parents, how do you expect to be able to sponsor them too? How many siblings (= number of more people to add) are there? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

If your parents came.  got the green card and went back home to live,  they have abandoned the green card and are no longer a resident here / they would not be able to apply for their kids

you can apply for siblings/  there is a long long wait time depending on country (so post it)

7 minutes ago, zafi said:

I heard green card holders can get 1 or 2 years permission from uscis and can go back to their native country is it compulsory for green card holders parents to stay in usa while petitions for kids is pending?sorry for asking too many questions

They can get a re-entry permit for 2 years at a time, but there's no way they can spend the majority of their time abroad while waiting for their children. A requirement of a permanent resident is to maintain their permanent residence within the US. Short trips abroad and even a couple longer ones with a re-entry permit can work, but living abroad for 5+ years would probably mean it will be determined that they abandoned their permanent residence.

They cannot use a green card as some sort of "super" tourist visa to visit while they petition somebody else. They will need to actually reside within the US.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

2 minutes ago, zafi said:

they would be coming back after every 12-18 months to keep their green cards intact.in total 4 siblings.how to count income for sponsoring someone for green card.some says it should be above 250% federal poverty level so any upcoming changes in laws might not effect your petitions or cases?

It doesn’t work like that. They can get maximum 5 years worth of re-entry permits to protect their green cards, or they live in the US. Touching down once a year does not keep their green card intact. They will clearly be living somewhere else and deemed to have abandoned their green cards. This plan is not going to work without your parents living in the US. 

Under current rules you are already nowhere near being able to sponsor parents plus siblings.  Household of 8 currently requires minimum $54287, you make not much more than half that.  And yes by the time the siblings immigrate, if they ever do, it could be the 250% which is double that so over $100k. 

I'll try to lay it down as simply as possible for a way for this to work...

1) You need a solid plan for financial sponsorship. This means either a considerable hike in your incomes, a whole lot of assets, or a strong joint sponsor.

2) Your parents will then need to actually reside in the US. They can take trips abroad, even extended trips. Trips in excess of 6 months (or multiple trips with a short period back in the US between) should get a re-entry permit to be safe in this case IMO. But plan for them to actually live in the US the majority of the time.

3) You will need a plan for financial sponsorship of your siblings when the time comes. I'm going to assume (let me know if it's incorrect) that they are in or near retirement age, so they likely won't meet the requirements on their own at that time. You would still be on the hook for them via your I-864s for them, so you being a sponsor seems unlikely unless there is a considerable change in your financial circumstances.

11 minutes ago, zafi said:

they would be coming back after every 12-18 months to keep their green cards intact.

That's not how it works. That is a plan to have their permanent residency revoked due to abandonment of permanent residency.

in total 4 siblings.how to count income for sponsoring someone for green card.some says it should be above 250% federal poverty level so any upcoming changes in laws might not effect your petitions or cases?

Your household size + the # number of people being sponsored or have been sponsored with an active I-864 still. Then check the I-864p (https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p) for the income level for your household size (125% of the FPL). This is a bare minimum for consideration. under = no visa. Above = can be considered. The CO makes a public charge decision based upon a totality of the circumstances. Being anything near the borderline is a very bad sign.

The 250% is to be considered a "very positive factor" in the new public charge rules. Those are not in effect at this time due to court order...nobody knows if they will ever go into effect.

Focus less on a hard number and more on what is practical for them to live on.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can file for siblings, in the mean time work on increasing your income.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

It doesn’t work like that. They can get maximum 5 years worth of re-entry permits to protect their green cards, or they live in the US. Touching down once a year does not keep their green card intact. They will clearly be living somewhere else and deemed to have abandoned their green cards. This plan is not going to work without your parents living in the US. 

Under current rules you are already nowhere near being able to sponsor parents plus siblings.  Household of 8 currently requires minimum $54287, you make not much more than half that.  And yes by the time the siblings immigrate, if they ever do, it could be the 250% which is double that so over $100k. 

I saw this and have a question. We know of a couple in Pakistan who got a green card through sponsorship from their son, who is a citizen. All they do is fly back and forth. The man still works at his job in Pakistan. Their main residence  is in Pakistan, but all they do is visit back and forth. How do they maintain a green card?

Edited by Love To Teach

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.