Ivoryguy36

Transferring PHP to US bank accounts

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My Filipino fiance is currently still in PI.  We've just started the K-1 process.

Her brother is about to gift a fairly large sum of money to her in pesos.  She will likely be transferring most of the money to the US.

Need advice from someone who has been through this before about the best way to avoid scrutiny (from either government) and to get the best exchange rate and lowest fees.

For example, what kind of account should she open?  Would it be best to open an account in USD?

What government pitfalls should we watch out for? (taxes, restrictions, etc.)

Do we need to transfer the funds in steps?  How much each time?

Is there a bank that is more suited to these types of transactions?

Thanks for any advice or referrals.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

1.  She opens a bank account in the US after arriving.

2.  She transfers money to the new account by bank wire.

Bank transfers are not taxed by the US....just pay the small bank transfer fees.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

***Topic moved to the Philippines regional discussion area****** 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Open the account in PI.   Deposit the funds.  Dollar denominated is easier, one less step of currency conversion.

Then wire transfer the balance into a US account.

That is what we did.  It took a few days to go thru.  Do it a few weeks before leaving if possible.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline

Agreed - BDO has dollar accounts.  If I recall it's about $35 to transfer in dollars vs about $130 to transfer in pesos.  The amount transferred doesn't matter, it's a flat rate.  Transfers of 10K or greater have to be reported to the US Government.  

On a side note - Even if you come into the bank with cash money in pesos and they convert it to dollars for you - there is about a 2 week delay between their acceptance of the deposit until it appears in your dollar account. 

Transfers are generally next business day if done before noon.  

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, Ivoryguy36 said:

My Filipino fiance is currently still in PI.  We've just started the K-1 process.

Her brother is about to gift a fairly large sum of money to her in pesos.  She will likely be transferring most of the money to the US.

Need advice from someone who has been through this before about the best way to avoid scrutiny (from either government) and to get the best exchange rate and lowest fees.

For example, what kind of account should she open?  Would it be best to open an account in USD?

What government pitfalls should we watch out for? (taxes, restrictions, etc.)

Do we need to transfer the funds in steps?  How much each time?

Is there a bank that is more suited to these types of transactions?

Thanks for any advice or referrals.

Opening a bank acct, PHP, and deposit the funds is the 1st step.   Doubt she will be able to open a USD acct  (there are restrictions, have to check with the bank you choose)    

Next would be a wire transfer to a U.S. bank account.  As for exchange rate check with the bank, usually they are pretty good rates.   Wire transfer costs were $55 last time we did it.    No limit on the amount transferred

There shouldn't be any issues, government-wise with completing the wire transfer.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

Opening a bank acct, PHP, and deposit the funds is the 1st step.   Doubt she will be able to open a USD acct  (there are restrictions, have to check with the bank you choose)    

Next would be a wire transfer to a U.S. bank account.  As for exchange rate check with the bank, usually they are pretty good rates.   Wire transfer costs were $55 last time we did it.    No limit on the amount transferred

There shouldn't be any issues, government-wise with completing the wire transfer.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I think you have to have a US Social Security number or ITIN to open an account in the US.  You have to have a US address (and proof) to get an ITIN.  Sounds pretty hard to do before you get to the country.  If she wires the money, she'll have to do it before she leaves the Philippines and she'll have to send it to my account before she gets here.  I can think of a few reasons this could get complicated.  

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Ivoryguy36 said:

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I think you have to have a US Social Security number or ITIN to open an account in the US.  You have to have a US address (and proof) to get an ITIN.  Sounds pretty hard to do before you get to the country.  If she wires the money, she'll have to do it before she leaves the Philippines and she'll have to send it to my account before she gets here.  I can think of a few reasons this could get complicated.  

She can deposit it into your account, and then later you transfer it.   Nothing complicated with that.      Simply add her name to your acct once she is in there (<< this is good for ROC a couple years down the line), and open her own acct while at it, if wanted.  

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Note not sure how much you consider a large sum.  But there is a donor's tax in the Philippines for amounts in excess of 250K pesos doesn't matter the relationship between the donor and the receiver.    My wife maintains a BDO account in the Philippines even though she lives outside the Philippines and she could initiate a transfer from that account.   Also BDO has an association with Wells Fargo (Not sure of the details) so that might be something to look into.   You might want to consider Paypal ?   My wife and I have done it the other way from here to P.I. but she had bank accounts on both sides

Timeline

The donor tax only applies if between two or more people .. transfering money to yourself doesn't apply.    With that said the donor tax is nasty .. 30%

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, Hank_ said:

The donor tax only applies if between two or more people .. transfering money to yourself doesn't apply.    With that said the donor tax is nasty .. 30%

May or may not be relevant to you, but transferring of money to US citizen spouse is not subject to donor tax because of the unlimited marriage deduction. Transfer of money to non-US citizen spouse, however, is not covered by the unlimited marriage deduction.

Timeline
On 1/31/2020 at 11:11 AM, ADW & JOP said:

May or may not be relevant to you, but transferring of money to US citizen spouse is not subject to donor tax because of the unlimited marriage deduction. Transfer of money to non-US citizen spouse, however, is not covered by the unlimited marriage deduction.

I would like to know where you get this information.  Googling produced this website:

https://taxacctgcenter.ph/overview-of-donors-tax-in-the-philippines/

Which states nothing about marriage exemption except spouse can transfer up to 10,000 php without paying the tax.  

There is so much conflicting and outdated information out there that Google serves up, and many website articles have no date!

This donor tax is a huge concern.  This transaction is millions of pesos.  Her brother is intending to donate the funds to her from the proceeds of the sale of a house.  There is an attorney involved, so I hope the brother is being properly advised as he will be the one to owe the tax!

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Ivoryguy36 said:

I would like to know where you get this information.  Googling produced this website:

Which states nothing about marriage exemption except spouse can transfer up to 10,000 php without paying the tax.  

There is so much conflicting and outdated information out there that Google serves up, and many website articles have no date!

This donor tax is a huge concern.  This transaction is millions of pesos.  Her brother is intending to donate the funds to her from the proceeds of the sale of a house.  There is an attorney involved, so I hope the brother is being properly advised as he will be the one to owe the tax!

It's not a big deal if it's under 155000 USD annually, but it may be something to consider if you are buying property for example.

https://blog.massmutual.com/post/married-to-a-non-citizen-3-estate-planning-traps

Edited by ADW & JOP

Timeline
39 minutes ago, Ivoryguy36 said:

It appears that the TRAIN law that took effect on January 1, 2018 completely flattened the tax and removed the differentiation between relatives and strangers.  The donor tax is now a flat 6% of amounts over 250,000 php, and you owe the same for gifts to strangers or relatives INCLUDING spouses.  

The answer to the dilemma is that she has to transfer the money to herself only from a PHP account in her name to a USD account  at a US bank in her name.  Then no donor tax applies.  If my name is on the account, it could be considered a 50% gift triggering the tax.  Once the money is in the US, then US laws apply.

Timeline
31 minutes ago, Ivoryguy36 said:

It appears that the TRAIN law that took effect on January 1, 2018 completely flattened the tax and removed the differentiation between relatives and strangers.  The donor tax is now a flat 6% of amounts over 250,000 php, and you owe the same for gifts to strangers or relatives INCLUDING spouses.  

The answer to the dilemma is that she has to transfer the money to herself only from a PHP account in her name to a USD account  at a US bank in her name.  Then no donor tax applies.  If my name is on the account, it could be considered a 50% gift triggering the tax.  Once the money is in the US, then US laws apply.

I've not personally reviewed the TRAIN law and don't know who of the two of you is the US citizen spouse.

My understanding of the unlimited marriage deduction is money going towards the US citizen spouse is covered under the unlimited marital deduction but not the other way.

Here is another link, and I will quote the relevant passage here. The limit was 152000 in 2018 hence the difference in number.

Marital deduction

Transfer to US citizen spouse: unlimited marital deduction for gift and estate tax

Transfer to non-US citizen spouse: transfers of up to $152,000/year not subject to gift tax (for estate tax, no marital deduction unless assets are left to a QDOT)

Edit: I see where the misunderstanding is. I was specifically referring to US taxes, not the Philippines. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

Edited by ADW & JOP

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.