Tensigh

When did DCF change for Japan

23 posts in this topic

A long time ago you could do DCF at any post.  Then it was changed to only consulates with a USCIS office.  I don't remember Japan ever having an USCIS field office.

You can do DCF under exceptional circumstances.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Thanks for the answer. What I'm trying to find out is exactly when Americans who married Japanese had to submit their I-130s in the US as opposed to submitting them to the embassy in Tokyo.

Back in 1998 a friend of mine got married to a Japanese. He submitted everything to the US embassy in Tokyo and their visa got approved lightning fast (like less than 3 months). Not only their I-130 but every doc was sent to the US embassy in Tokyo and apparently it was all processed there which greatly sped up the process. When my wife and I submitted ours in 2017, we had to submit our I-130 to the US and that process alone took 4-5 months and the entire process took over a year. We had to submit EVERYTHING to the US despite previously people applying in Japan. 

It looks like it changed in 2011 based on what I've seen from the USCIS site archives but I'm trying to find out specifically when it changed for Japan. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Tensigh said:

Thanks for the answer. What I'm trying to find out is exactly when Americans who married Japanese had to submit their I-130s in the US as opposed to submitting them to the embassy in Tokyo.

Back in 1998 a friend of mine got married to a Japanese. He submitted everything to the US embassy in Tokyo and their visa got approved lightning fast (like less than 3 months). Not only their I-130 but every doc was sent to the US embassy in Tokyo and apparently it was all processed there which greatly sped up the process. When my wife and I submitted ours in 2017, we had to submit our I-130 to the US and that process alone took 4-5 months and the entire process took over a year. We had to submit EVERYTHING to the US despite previously people applying in Japan. 

It looks like it changed in 2011 based on what I've seen from the USCIS site archives but I'm trying to find out specifically when it changed for Japan. 

DCF has been a faster route for spousal visas in the past......but times have changed........soon, everyone will be on a level playing field..It will take a year or longer for everyone.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, Tensigh said:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Laws/Memoranda/2012/May/DOS-I130May1412.pdf

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

@Paul & Mary Thanks for that. I came across that yesterday but after that there were still some embassies that did DCF. I'm trying to find when Japan specifically stopped but at least I can say 2011-2012 was when it generally stopped. Thanks for the lead. 

@missileman I think that's the goal - make EVERYONE wait and suffer as opposed to letting some countries process applications sooner. That seems appropriate given the year that this decision was made. 

Edited by Tensigh

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Tensigh said:

@missileman I think that's the goal - make EVERYONE wait and suffer as opposed to letting some countries process applications sooner. That seems appropriate given the year that this decision was made. 

I don't think the goal is to make people suffer.......Personally, I see no reason out-of-country couples should be treated differently from the rest of us.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why does it matter? Or are you writing a history?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

@missileman The difference with being overseas is twofold:

1. If you're an American returning to the U.S. you often have to live apart waiting for a visa and you can't time when you move back. If you're applying in the U.S., you're already there and in many cases, your future spouse is. 

2. In many countries (like Japan), illegal immigration isn't a problem. So it's really unfair lumping together applications from countries like South Korea or Japan where illegal immigration is virtually non existent with everyone else.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Most people on this site are not living together.

Why is the level of undocumented in Japan significant?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 hours ago, Tensigh said:

@Paul & Mary Thanks for that. I came across that yesterday but after that there were still some embassies that did DCF. I'm trying to find when Japan specifically stopped but at least I can say 2011-2012 was when it generally stopped. Thanks for the lead. 

The general inability to do DCF at any post came when that memo was enacted. I don't have a specific date, but the date on the memo would be quite close.

USCIS has field offices across the world. Per that memo, those USCIS field offices could still do DCF as a general rule-of-thumb. Japan never fell into this provision IIRC. So they stopped the same time most other countries stopped.

Exceptional circumstances allow DCF to be done at any post.

I disagree that the goal is to make people suffer.

25 minutes ago, Tensigh said:

2. In many countries (like Japan), illegal immigration isn't a problem. So it's really unfair lumping together applications from countries like South Korea or Japan where illegal immigration is virtually non existent with everyone else.

Why should Japan be treated as special? The law (and policies) have no provision for immigrants from one country being given preference over another (barring oversubscription caps in certain categories, but that's a different thing altogether and applies equally across countries).

Let alone what illegal immigration has to do with an immigrant visa...there are no immigrants coming to the US with intent to overstay/work w/o authorization/etc.

What you noted makes sense for non-immigrant visas (NIVs), and the VWP exists for that reason. Even w/o the VWP, countries with little abuse have lower refusal rates anyway. But it has absolutely nothing to do with immigrants...only non-immigrants.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

21 minutes ago, Tensigh said:

1. If you're an American returning to the U.S. you often have to live apart waiting for a visa and you can't time when you move back. 

If you have a job offer you apply under exceptional circumstances.  This can be done in any country, even those without USCIS offices.

23 minutes ago, Tensigh said:

If you're applying in the U.S., you're already there and in many cases, your future spouse is.

If the foreign spouse is in the US you can file I-130 with AOS.   

25 minutes ago, Tensigh said:

In many countries (like Japan), illegal immigration isn't a problem.

So you suggest that in 2012 they should have implemented a two tier system for countries with less immigration issues?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
5 hours ago, Tensigh said:

The embassies or more specifically the consulates that still have a USCIS field office allowed DCF.  Japan to my knowledge never had a USCIS field office as they were covered by the office in Seoul.  That office closed permanently last September.

I think some consulates do DCF for exceptional circumstances, but YMMV.

Edited by Bill & Katya

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
59 minutes ago, Tensigh said:

@missileman The difference with being overseas is twofold:

1. If you're an American returning to the U.S. you often have to live apart waiting for a visa and you can't time when you move back. If you're applying in the U.S., you're already there and in many cases, your future spouse is. 

The process is somewhat faster for low fraud countries already.

In high fraud countries, people are put in administrative processing for many weeks(some lasting over an year) after the interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.