homesick_american

We bought flags today

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

We bought a Yorkshire flag (white rose on blue background) and a cross of St George today...proper outdoor 3'x5' flags. I got them because I figured they'd be hard to find in the USA.

Do any of the Brits here fly their home flags in the USA? We're planning to fly the Yorkshire flag on Yorkshire Day...confuse the neighbors. :lol:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
We bought a Yorkshire flag (white rose on blue background) and a cross of St George today...proper outdoor 3'x5' flags. I got them because I figured they'd be hard to find in the USA.

Do any of the Brits here fly their home flags in the USA? We're planning to fly the Yorkshire flag on Yorkshire Day...confuse the neighbors. :lol:

UK flags are quite easily obtainable online in the US.

Be careful how you fly your UK flags. They cannot be flown without the US flag being flown. The order in which you fly them is regulated as is the relative sizes.

I got it wrong and one of the neighbors called the local PD. My RAF flag which I flew on Memorial Day was bigger than the US one.

It was all rather light hearted as my wife used to work for the local PD and we know most of them including the one that came. But I was very politely told to remove my RAF flag or fly a US flag of the same size which fortunately I did have.

http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

We fly the Northern Ireland flag here, along with the American flag.

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Be careful how you fly your UK flags. They cannot be flown without the US flag being flown. The order in which you fly them is regulated as is the relative sizes.

I got it wrong and one of the neighbors called the local PD. My RAF flag which I flew on Memorial Day was bigger than the US one.

It was all rather light hearted as my wife used to work for the local PD and we know most of them including the one that came. But I was very politely told to remove my RAF flag or fly a US flag of the same size which fortunately I did have.

Who has enough time in the day to call the police over a RAF flag being bigger than the US flag??!!! Some people have way to much time on their hands!!!!!! I cant believe it! :blink::wacko:

OUR K-1 VISA JOURNEY

K1 Application

12-01-2006 I-129F sent priority USPS to CSC ... the real journey begins! (Day 1)

12-06-2006 NOA1 (Day 4)

03-05-2007 NOA2 - YAY!! (Day 89))

05-04-2007 INTERVIEW!!!!!! - APPROVED! (Day 149)

05-10-2007 Visa received (Day 155)

05-17-2007 ARRIVED IN PHOENIX (Day 162)

05-25-2007 Applied SSN

06-04-2007 Received SSN in the mail

06-14-2007 Passed driving test and now have my license

07-12-2007 MARRIED

07-24-2007 Changed name with SSA

AOS

05-31-2007 Appointment with Civil Surgeon for I-693A

07-16-2007 AOS sent to Chicago (received 07-18) (Day 1)

07-27-2007 NOA1 date (received 8/1) (Day 9)

07-30-2007 Check cashed (Day 12)

08-14-2007 Biometrics (Day 28)

11-29-2007 INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!! (Day 131) APPROVED

12-11-2007 Greencard Received

ROC

09-01-2009 I-751 sent to VSC (received 09-03) (Day 1)

09-04-2009 NOA Date (received 09-14) (Day 4)

09-08-2009 Check Cashed (Day 8)

10-05-2009 Biometrics @ Jackson MS (received 09-24) (Day 35)

01-08-2010 10 Year Greencard approved

01-19-2010 10 Year Greencard received

glitterfy011155737dkj7.gif glitterfy011545702wxh7.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Who has enough time in the day to call the police over a RAF flag being bigger than the US flag??!!! Some people have way to much time on their hands!!!!!! I cant believe it! :blink::wacko:

My idiot neighbor across the road, who has a disability (apart from his brain) and has nothing to do all day. I felt rather sorry for the officer who thought it was all to too stupid but whose hands were tied and he had to ask me to comply.

Just wait to the neighbor sees the monster size Union Jack I have. It used to fly over the EMI record factory in Hayes. Roll on July 4th :devil:

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

A Yorkshire Flag would be a fantastuc idea, may I ask were you bought it ?

I could also wear my " It's never Dull in Hull " T Shirt on the day I fly it !

:)

16/5/2002 Met on Line through YAHOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!

26/9/2002 Travelled to Montana and met in person - decided this is for real !

10/10/2002 Both returned to UK , Melissa travelled on Tourist Visa

19/5/2003 Got married in UK

7/7/2003 Melissa got LR in UK for 2 years

July 2005 Melissa got ILR in UK

2 Feb 2007 Filed I 130 with USCIS in London

2 Feb 2007 Requested Police Report

6 Feb 2007 Visa Card charged for I 130 petition

17 Feb 2007 Receive Police Certificate

10 May 2007 I 130 Approved !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16 May 2007 Received Packet 3

16 May Sent Off Packet 3 & Booked Medical for the 30th May

24 May 2007 Received Packet 4 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only 8 Daysssssss

19 June 2007 Interview & APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27 Aug 2007 Travel to JFK then on to SLC via Houston OMG what a trip !!!!!!

Really? Good grief! :blink:

Yeah, really; that's the first I've heard of that. DFW has enough Brits that I've seen England, Scotland, and Wales flags being flown on their own with no legal repercussions...not from flagpoles but attached to the front of private residences.

A Yorkshire Flag would be a fantastuc idea, may I ask were you bought it ?

I could also wear my " It's never Dull in Hull " T Shirt on the day I fly it !

:)

I got it in one of York's many many many tourist shops; this one was on Stonegate in the shadow of the Minster. :thumbs:

Flying non-USA flags I've found just serves to antagonize people, thus I gave up doing it years ago. I've also had similar trouble to Lansbury, and honestly I with all the hurt feelings and police involvement I just decided it wasn't worth the hassle. People can get funny about flags here.

I'd note that I doubt that I would have got similar hassle if I flew the Irish or Italian flag, rather than the Union Flag.

Flying non-USA flags I've found just serves to antagonize people, thus I gave up doing it years ago. I've also had similar trouble to Lansbury, and honestly I with all the hurt feelings and police involvement I just decided it wasn't worth the hassle. People can get funny about flags here.

I'd note that I doubt that I would have got similar hassle if I flew the Irish or Italian flag, rather than the Union Flag.

I've seen foreign flags flown all over cities in Texas, including the Union Jack, Cross of St George, the Welsh flag, the Scottish flag, and flags from virtually every Spanish-speaking country on Earth.

If someone has a problem with that, they can basically kiss my ###. I'll bet money that nobody says anything.

If you fly the St George's Cross (rather than the Union Flag) they I doubt that you'd get into any trouble (most probably wouldn't know what it is). People seemed to be particularly pissed off by my flying of the Union Flag itself.

That said, perhaps people are less touchy about these things in Texas than in California.

If you fly the St George's Cross (rather than the Union Flag) they I doubt that you'd get into any trouble (most probably wouldn't know what it is). People seemed to be particularly pissed off by my flying of the Union Flag itself.

That said, perhaps people are less touchy about these things in Texas than in California.

You mean more worldly and tolerant. :yes:

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I actually believed that the Texas flag could be flown at the same height as the American flag and that we had other special rules about flags. I guess it's a good thing I looked it up first before opening my mouth! :

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/texasflag.asp

One part that sticks out is this part though:

"...flag codes are advisory guidelines about how flags should be displayed and respected, not enforceable rules mandating how they must be displayed and respected — the codes prescribe what is proper, not what is legal. (Or, in the words of the federal government: "The Flag Code does not prescribe any penalties for non-compliance nor does it include any enforcement provisions, rather it functions simply as a guide for voluntary civilian compliance.") The federal flag code does not authorize the government to dispatch G-men or police to arrest persons who allow their flags to touch the ground, display flags upside-down or backwards, or fail to destroy old flags "in a dignified way." ..."

I wouldn't worry about it though, When I lived in Chicago I hardly ever saw American flags but you could tell what nationality a neighborhood was cos there were hundreds of foreign flags everywhere. I bet some busybody with loads of time on their hands would have a field day there!

Life long Texan, living in Hull, UK. How did this happen?

11 January - We met online and became friends

4 February - Became a couple

17 March - I went to Hull to meet the guy

20 March - First "I love you"

25 March - I go home :(

16 November - He comes to visit me in Texas

25 November - he leaves back home :(

14 December - ENGAGED! <3

1 March- I fly off to see my babe in Hull

4 April - I go home :(

9 October - He comes back to Texas!!!!

13 October - WEDDING!!!

22 October - He goes back to England and I continue to wait for my settlement visa.

13 December 2007 - Move to England

Now the wait begins, I will become a citizen then we will DFC back to the US.

the-british-are-comming-small.jpg965-smaller.jpg

Our slide show .......... Our page on TheKnot.com

.png

I wouldn't worry about it though, When I lived in Chicago I hardly ever saw American flags but you could tell what nationality a neighborhood was cos there were hundreds of foreign flags everywhere. I bet some busybody with loads of time on their hands would have a field day there!

I'm not worried about it in the slightest. :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.