Amber and Shawn

i-765 Q's: New Social security card?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

1.So i applied for a social security card under my maiden name, if i marked Yes on Part.2 no.14 in form i-765 will SSA send me a new social security card under my married name? or is that meant only for people who has not applied for one?   

2.  Do I need to pay a separate fee for EAD and AP (just wanted to clarify, I've seen that it is not needed when filing it together with AOS Packet)

3. Will I be in "trouble" if the packet does not reach their mailbox before my visa expires?

Thanks!

image.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Few more questions;

4. Do i need multiple copies of the supporting documents in AOS packet to be put in EAD and AP packets aswell, i seen people have cover letters and 3 different packet when they send in their AOS

5. is 2 months for now on "intended travel date" in AP form too soon? or does it not matter

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, Amber and Shawn said:

1.So i applied for a social security card under my maiden name, if i marked Yes on Part.2 no.14 in form i-765 will SSA send me a new social security card under my married name? or is that meant only for people who has not applied for one?  You have everything so confused, and you failed to mention the validity time left on your I-94. You should likely consider going in to your local SSA office and see if they will let you apply for a new SS card in your married name, you may now have to wait until you have a EAD or GC. SSA offices are notoriously finicky. Save time fill out SS-5 prior to going to SSA office.  See links below. 

2.  Do I need to pay a separate fee for EAD and AP (just wanted to clarify, I've seen that it is not needed when filing it together with AOS Packet)  You just answered your own question, see link below.

3. Will I be in "trouble" if the packet does not reach their mailbox before my visa expires? Your K1 visas was a one-way, one-time visa, it was invalidated by the CBP officer at your US entry point. As is mentioned on this forum almost daily, is that your legal stay is determined by your I-94. When that expires you are out of status. Hence that is why the general recommendation is to file your AOS/EAD/AP as soon as possible after you marry.  

Thanks!

image.png

1 hour ago, Amber and Shawn said:

Few more questions;

4. Do i need multiple copies of the supporting documents in AOS packet to be put in EAD and AP packets aswell, i seen people have cover letters and 3 different packet when they send in their AOS.  see  answer below

5. is 2 months for now on "intended travel date" in AP form too soon? or does it not matter  Be realistic, AP processing right now is taking 5-6 months, look at VJ filled-in example for more info, see links below.

The common questions that you are asking are routinely discussed at the respective forums that I will provide links for you. You should review these forums for answers to your routine questions. This is a Do-It-Yourself (DIY) site, you need to do your own research, and then ask questions, if necessary. :thumbs: You will find people here are glad to help you, but not do your research for you.

SSN questions such as yours are routinely discussed at the SSN and the K1/K3 AOS forums. https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/156-social-security-numbers/  , https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/7-adjustment-of-status-green-card-from-k1-and-k3-family-based-visas/ , https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

Regarding concurrent filing of AOS/EAD/AP applications, see Special Instructions tab at this link: https://www.uscis.gov/i-485

I have seen some people file each application, AOS/EAD/AP, with separate supporting documentation, and I have seen some people file just one set of supporting documentation for AOS/EAD/AP. That topic has be a subject of discussion before. BTW, we successfully filed our AOS/EAD/AP applications with one set of supporting documents. YMMV.

Check out the K1/K3 AOS forums for recent discussions about validity of Form I-94: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/7-adjustment-of-status-green-card-from-k1-and-k3-family-based-visas/ .

Check out the VJ stats for estimated processing times: https://www.visajourney.com/times/ .

Check out VJ filled out examples of common immigration forms, some are outdated, but can get the general idea: https://www.visajourney.com/forms/examples/ 

Good luck on your immigration journey and Happy Holidays!!

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

The above has answered everything in details, i'm just gonna answer on #1 cuz it was similar to mine.

1. Just mark Yes and YES, even if you already applied for it. Just in case you never get it now(SSA are incompetent, it might take weeks or you may never get one while you're waiting for EAD)

just make sure you apply for AOS/EAD using your Married name. so when you do go back to SSA for after getting your AOS/EAD, they will put your married name on your SS card.

If by any chance you do get your SS card in your Maiden name, then you can return to SSA and update your last name using your marriage certificate and EAD/GC whichever you get first.

AOS/EAD/AP ->: 11/29/18 - NOA1: 12/04/18

Biometric NOA:  12/14/18  Biometric Appt: 12/26/18

Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview: 1/16/19

EAD/AP approval: 3/18/19

AOS Interview Appt: 6/4/19

AOS Interview: 7/10/19

AOS Approved: 7/23/19

GREEN CARD IN HAND: 7/26/19

"It's true, we don't have it as easy as ordinary couples. But this is no ordinary love"

On 12/23/2019 at 11:29 AM, Lebanese23 said:

The above has answered everything in details, i'm just gonna answer on #1 cuz it was similar to mine.

1. Just mark Yes and YES, even if you already applied for it. Just in case you never get it now(SSA are incompetent, it might take weeks or you may never get one while you're waiting for EAD)

I just put yes and yes even though i already have a SS card and number as i agree with the poster it is a bit confusing, and i think putting yes wont hurt as they will understand my situation if its necessary

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.