LNDBOI

US Embassy Interview Review - CR1 / IR1 Spouse Visa

7 posts in this topic

Hi all, I had my interview yesterday, and it was a success! I've written the below to help anyone who is an anxious as I was.

Arrived at 8:40am for a 9am interview. I waited in a queue outside for about 20 minutes, with very little cover, so bring an umbrella if it looks like rain. The entry for visa services is well sign posted. I presented my passport and DS-290 to proceed. 

Ushered through airport-style security - no laptops or bags larger than a big backpack allowed in. 

Then I was into the main building to a large waiting area. My appointment was at 9:00am and the queue was a bit slow, I'd reccommend arriving 30 to 40 mins early, as the queue was much bigger when I left.

I was called to two seperate desks to speak to two different people. The first was all business and paperwork, the second was personal questions and relationship details. Across both desks I was asked for:

• Passport
  • Courier confirmation
  • Original birth certificate
  • Original marriage certificate
  • Police certificates for 2 countries lived in
  • 1 US sized passport photo, scanned and returned immediately
  • Court record for a drunk driving conviction in 2002*
  • Verbal confirmation of medical exam, as results hadn't reached the embassy yet - I had written confirmation but it wasn't required **

I was asked a few relationship questions, some of which seem to be relevant to wether I would be issued a conditional or non-conditional visa:

• How long have you been married?
  • When was your wedding anniversary?
  • Where did you meet? 
  • Has she ever lived in London?
  • What does she do for work?

Things I was not asked for, but that you should obviously bring anyway:

• Any copies of original documents
  • Any financial information, or the affidavit of support (I-864)
  • Anything related to the new rule that new immigrants must prove their ability to get medical insurance. Not sure what's up with this, but it was never mentioned at any time in my entire visa process to this point. We first applied in July 2018, so it could be relevant for later applications.

Timeline for a 9am appointment:

• 8:40am arrival at security
  • 9:05am arrive at the waiting room for the interview
  • 10am process completed & leaving the building

Overall it was relaxed and easy. As others have said before, I got the impression that once you reach the interview stage, you're mostly already approved. Just show the right paperwork & answer honestly and there's nothing to worry about.

Good luck to everyone else!

* I was worried this would be a problem. My police checks mentioned it, and so it was raised in the medical exam. The nurse asked questions to determine if I have a history of alcohol problems, which I don't. No questions were asked about it at the embassy interview. It was not a problem whatsoever. 

** The medical exam was completed but not yet delivered to the embassy, as I still needed to get another MMR booster (I did already have one, but there was no official record of it. They won't just take your word for most vaccines, you need to present proof. Much of mine wa). I'd had it when I was younger, but had no record of it, so it needed to be redone. This was completed the day before the embassy interview at a separate, private clinic, and proof was emailed to the medical clinic, who then forward their approval to the embassy. None of this was treated as a problem.

20 hours ago, LNDBOI said:

Hi all, I had my interview yesterday, and it was a success! I've written the below to help anyone who is an anxious as I was.

Arrived at 8:40am for a 9am interview. I waited in a queue outside for about 20 minutes, with very little cover, so bring an umbrella if it looks like rain. The entry for visa services is well sign posted. I presented my passport and DS-290 to proceed. 

Ushered through airport-style security - no laptops or bags larger than a big backpack allowed in. 

Then I was into the main building to a large waiting area. My appointment was at 9:00am and the queue was a bit slow, I'd reccommend arriving 30 to 40 mins early, as the queue was much bigger when I left.

I was called to two seperate desks to speak to two different people. The first was all business and paperwork, the second was personal questions and relationship details. Across both desks I was asked for:

• Passport
  • Courier confirmation
  • Verbal confirmation of medical exam, as results hadn't reached the embassy yet - I had written confirmation but it wasn't required **

I was asked a few relationship questions, some of which seem to be relevant to wether I would be issued a conditional or non-conditional visa:

• Where did you meet? 

• Anything related to the new rule that new immigrants must prove their ability to get medical insurance. Not sure what's up with this, but it was never mentioned at any time in my entire visa process to this point. We first applied in July 2018, so it could be relevant for later applications.

Overall it was relaxed and easy. As others have said before, I got the impression that once you reach the interview stage, you're mostly already approved. Just show the right paperwork & answer honestly and there's nothing to worry about.

* I was worried this would be a problem. My police checks mentioned it, and so it was raised in the medical exam. The nurse asked questions to determine if I have a history of alcohol problems, which I don't. No questions were asked about it at the embassy interview. It was not a problem whatsoever. 

** The medical exam was completed but not yet delivered to the embassy, as I still needed to get another MMR booster (I did already have one, but there was no official record of it. They won't just take your word for most vaccines, you need to present proof. Much of mine wa). I'd had it when I was younger, but had no record of it, so it needed to be redone. This was completed the day before the embassy interview at a separate, private clinic, and proof was emailed to the medical clinic, who then forward their approval to the embassy. None of this was treated as a problem.

Was there a problem concerning the new insurance rule.

On 12/21/2019 at 6:28 PM, LNDBOI said:

• Passport
  • Courier confirmation

• Where did you meet? 

hey, thanks for sharing. Would you mind sharing when did you do your medical exam. as you mentioned that the Embassy did not receive your medical result when you interviewed. 

Additionally, I do not seem to see you have a timeline set up on this forum, would you mind sharing when you receive your visa? Many thanks.

32 minutes ago, QBHE said:

hey, thanks for sharing. Would you mind sharing when did you do your medical exam. as you mentioned that the Embassy did not receive your medical result when you interviewed. 

Additionally, I do not seem to see you have a timeline set up on this forum, would you mind sharing when you receive your visa? Many thanks.

I did my medical exam on the 12th of December, which should have been enough time for the embassy interview on the 20th. The medical place says to give 5 working days for the result to arrive at the embassy. However - I had all my vaccines but no record of the MMR booster when I was young, so I needed to get that re-done. They need proof of everything. 

I had a booster on the 18th, forwarded the evidence to the medical clinic on the 19th, and went to the embassy on the 20th. 

This isn't a problem, the embassy holds onto you passport and delays issuing the visa until the medical results arrive, even after you've had the interview. 

I would have shared my timeline but ours is a little warped, since we had to purposefully delay for a while halfway through, due to unforeseen circumstances. 

On 12/24/2019 at 10:42 PM, LNDBOI said:

I did my medical exam on the 12th of December, which should have been enough time for the embassy interview on the 20th. The medical place says to give 5 working days for the result to arrive at the embassy. However - I had all my vaccines but no record of the MMR booster when I was young, so I needed to get that re-done. They need proof of everything. 

I had a booster on the 18th, forwarded the evidence to the medical clinic on the 19th, and went to the embassy on the 20th. 

This isn't a problem, the embassy holds onto you passport and delays issuing the visa until the medical results arrive, even after you've had the interview. 

I would have shared my timeline but ours is a little warped, since we had to purposefully delay for a while halfway through, due to unforeseen circumstances. 

Thank you so much for the information!!! I am assuming you are still waiting for your visa to arrive? 

On 12/27/2019 at 1:56 AM, QBHE said:

Thank you so much for the information!!! I am assuming you are still waiting for your visa to arrive? 

Yes, still waiting! I uploaded my last docuement after the interview but just got the email saying it didn't upload correctly... So I need to check again. Lots seems to be going wrong at this point with various paperwork formalities but at least they're understanding and patient, and allow you to follow up afterwards! The time of year is definitely slowing things down right now, though. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.