emeline29

Moving during the AOS process

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

When I first applied for AOS I lived in Georgia. I had my biometrics completed in Atlanta on September 25th. We moved to Colorado on November 8th. I filed a change of address form (AR-11) online the same day. Got an email confirmation so I assumed all was good. I reached out to USCIS about 2 weeks ago to determine if the address change had been successful and they said they wouldn’t know until after 30 days and to contact them again after this. 

Today I received a notification that my case had been scheduled for interview. I spoke to USCIS online and they said it was scheduled for Atlanta, Georgia. I said I had lodged a change of address form over 30 days ago and she said it should have been processed by now. I gave the agent my confirmation number and she said my number was invalid and not appearing in the system. I have a screenshot showing confirmation that I lodged a change of address request but she says they never received it. I’ve attached a photo of this screenshot. 

The agent lodged another request on my behalf and I asked what I was meant to do about my Atlanta appointment. The notice will be mailed to my old address in GA (despite us having mail forwarding in place) so I will have no idea my appointment is. I’m under the impression I won’t be able to attend this appointment anyway because I now live in Colorado. The agent said I do nothing and hope that my change of address is processed (again, this takes 30 days) before my interview appointment is scheduled. If it is not processed by then I will be a “no show”. I called USCIS because I wasn’t satisfied with this and he wasn’t overly helpful either. He said there was nothing they could do and to call in 15 days when I hadn’t received my notice of interview. Which obviously I won’t get because I don’t live in Georgia anymore. 

I feel so upset and frustrated. I don’t know what to do. If anyone has any advice I’d gladly take it because I’m so confused about what I should be doing 🙁

01C9DFCD-BB52-46A2-9CA1-A7D887E78124.jpeg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

It sounds like USCIS dropped the ball. It was good thinking by you for taking those screen shots. I would advise you keep pushing for an AOS interview appointment in Colorado. Be advised that you don't have any idea when that will be, i.e., how fast/slow the Denver local field office (LFO) may be for AOS adjudication. Additionally, you will likely be placed at the bottom of the pile at your new LFO.  Be sure to post a proper COA with USCIS and USPS, trying to leave the bureaucrats no  good excuse for mis-shipping your mail. Though sadly, keep in mind, even if it is their error, you will likely be the one jumping through the hoops. After seeing some of their "marvelous" work, I have to wonder if the scheduling minions in Alexandria VA have any concept of the distances between say Atlanta and Denver, or if one word is just down the list from the other?? :blink:

Good luck on your immigration journey. 

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

try to find out when your interview is and reschedule it. you don't wanna be a no show.

AOS/EAD/AP ->: 11/29/18 - NOA1: 12/04/18

Biometric NOA:  12/14/18  Biometric Appt: 12/26/18

Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview: 1/16/19

EAD/AP approval: 3/18/19

AOS Interview Appt: 6/4/19

AOS Interview: 7/10/19

AOS Approved: 7/23/19

GREEN CARD IN HAND: 7/26/19

"It's true, we don't have it as easy as ordinary couples. But this is no ordinary love"

Timeline
7 hours ago, Lebanese23 said:

try to find out when your interview is and reschedule it. you don't wanna be a no show.

This^^^  Very true! :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

So after what felt like hours on the phone to USCIS I finally had a tier 2 agent call me back. She said my interview hadn’t been scheduled for Atlanta GA, but Charleston SC. Charleston is just as close to where I used to live in GA and they must be somewhat quiet so they moved my case there instead. 

The agent said I am allowed to attend that interview appointment even though I no longer live in GA. So looks like my interview is January 28th!

Thanks for your replies, it’s been a rather confusing few days!

Edited by emeline29

Timeline

Well it sounds like you will be headed to "Chucktown" near the end of January. If it is any consolation, you should encounter nicer weather in South Carolina than in Denver at the end of January. I lived in CO for over ten years, and ran into some pretty nasty snowstorms during the winter months.

Have a safe trip, and a good and successful interview.

Edited by Pitaya

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.