3,047 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Kenya
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Stillwinning!!!😊 said:

WOW! Wasn't that the IO who you said was a bit feisty? LOL..I hope it wasn't deliberate!💁 just kidding..😀 at least you have your card in your hands, it'll work the same..😉

Yes i will try and file the I90 and write a letter that I made changes At the interview to waive the filing fee. 

36 minutes ago, sabina4 said:

hi/ if i want to contact my congressman so he can then contact uscis, are there any options besides this page i found? https://ziplook.house.gov/htbin/findrep_house

for the ones who contacted their congressman, how did you contact him ?

thanks

Mine helped me a lot. Found her online based on my zip code, sent an e-mail via her website and her office got back to me the next day! 

08/2017 - Married USC

09/2017 - Application for I-485, I-765, I-131

12/2017 - Approval  I-765, I-131

09/2018 Renewal application for I-765, I-131

04/2019 - I-485 interview scheduled 

04/2019 - I-485 denied, husband withdrew

05/2019 - Application for  I-360, I-485, I-765, I-131 

12/2019 EAD, AP approval

07/2020 EAD, AP renewal sent to Vermont

10/2020 EAD, AP Approval

11/2020 VAWA I-360 Approved (C31 produced)

01/2021 I-360 status changed to case approved

03/2021 - I-693 deficient notice from national benefit center

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hello,   in what way this new rule can impact ?

USCIS Expands Guidance Related to Naturalization Requirement of Good Moral Character

Release Date: Dec. 13, 2019 

WASHINGTON— Today, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services expanded its policy guidance (PDF, 290 KB) regarding unlawful acts that may prevent an applicant from meeting the good moral character (GMC) requirement for naturalization. The commission of, or conviction or imprisonment for, an unlawful act, during the statutory period for naturalization, may render an applicant ineligible for naturalization should the act be found to adversely reflect on moral character.  

Previously, the USCIS Policy Manual did not include extensive information on unlawful acts. This update to the Policy Manual provides additional examples of unlawful acts and instructions to ensure USCIS adjudicators make uniform and fair determinations, and further identifies unlawful acts that may affect GMC based on judicial precedent. This update does not change the impact of an unlawful act on USCIS’ analysis of whether an applicant can demonstrate GMC. Adjudicators in the field receive extensive training to apply the law on GMC and unlawful acts regulation. They are aware of which unlawful acts could bar an applicant from naturalization and are not limited by the examples listed in the Policy Manual. 

On Dec. 10, USCIS issued separate policy guidance in the USCIS Policy Manual about how two or more convictions for driving under the influence or post-sentencing changes to criminal sentencing might affect GMC determinations.

“In the Immigration and Nationality Act, Congress determined that good moral character is a requirement for naturalization,” said USCIS Deputy Director Mark Koumans. “USCIS is committed to faithfully administering our nation’s lawful immigration system, and this update helps to ensure that our agency’s adjudicators make uniform and fair decisions concerning the consideration of unlawful acts on good moral character when determining eligibility for U.S. citizenship.” 

Under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), an applicant for naturalization must establish GMC. Although the INA does not directly define GMC, it does describe certain acts that bar establishing GMC of an applicant. Examples of unlawful acts recognized by case law as barring GMC include, but are not limited to, the following: 

• bail jumping;
  • bank fraud;
  • conspiracy to distribute a controlled substance;
  • failure to file or pay taxes;
  • false claim to U.S. citizenship;
  • falsification of records;
  • forgery uttering;
  • insurance fraud;
  • obstruction of justice;
  • sexual assault;
  • Social Security fraud;
  • unlawful harassment;
  • unlawful registration to vote;
  • unlawful voting; and
  • violation of a U.S. embargo.

In general, applicants must show they have been, and continue to be, people of GMC during the statutory period before filing for naturalization and up until they take the Oath of Allegiance. The statutory period is generally five years for permanent residents of the United States, three years for applicants married to a U.S. citizen, and one year for certain applicants applying on the basis of qualifying U.S. military service.

USCIS officers must continue to perform a case-by-case analysis to determine whether an act is unlawful and adversely reflects on an applicant's good moral character. They must also determine whether there are extenuating circumstances. An extenuating circumstance must pertain to the unlawful act and must precede or be contemporaneous with the commission of the unlawful act. Training for adjudicators will be updated to reflect this expanded guidance.

For more information on USCIS and its programs, please visit uscis.gov or follow us on Twitter (@uscis), Instagram (/uscis), YouTube (/uscis), Facebook (/uscis), and LinkedIn (/uscis).

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
1 hour ago, AJJU said:

Hello,   in what way this new rule can impact ?

USCIS Expands Guidance Related to Naturalization Requirement of Good Moral Character

Release Date: Dec. 13, 2019 

WASHINGTON— Today, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services expanded its policy guidance (PDF, 290 KB) regarding unlawful acts that may prevent an applicant from meeting the good moral character (GMC) requirement for naturalization. The commission of, or conviction or imprisonment for, an unlawful act, during the statutory period for naturalization, may render an applicant ineligible for naturalization should the act be found to adversely reflect on moral character.  

Previously, the USCIS Policy Manual did not include extensive information on unlawful acts. This update to the Policy Manual provides additional examples of unlawful acts and instructions to ensure USCIS adjudicators make uniform and fair determinations, and further identifies unlawful acts that may affect GMC based on judicial precedent. This update does not change the impact of an unlawful act on USCIS’ analysis of whether an applicant can demonstrate GMC. Adjudicators in the field receive extensive training to apply the law on GMC and unlawful acts regulation. They are aware of which unlawful acts could bar an applicant from naturalization and are not limited by the examples listed in the Policy Manual. 

On Dec. 10, USCIS issued separate policy guidance in the USCIS Policy Manual about how two or more convictions for driving under the influence or post-sentencing changes to criminal sentencing might affect GMC determinations.

“In the Immigration and Nationality Act, Congress determined that good moral character is a requirement for naturalization,” said USCIS Deputy Director Mark Koumans. “USCIS is committed to faithfully administering our nation’s lawful immigration system, and this update helps to ensure that our agency’s adjudicators make uniform and fair decisions concerning the consideration of unlawful acts on good moral character when determining eligibility for U.S. citizenship.” 

Under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), an applicant for naturalization must establish GMC. Although the INA does not directly define GMC, it does describe certain acts that bar establishing GMC of an applicant. Examples of unlawful acts recognized by case law as barring GMC include, but are not limited to, the following: 

• bail jumping;
  • bank fraud;
  • conspiracy to distribute a controlled substance;
  • failure to file or pay taxes;
  • false claim to U.S. citizenship;
  • falsification of records;
  • forgery uttering;
  • insurance fraud;
  • obstruction of justice;
  • sexual assault;
  • Social Security fraud;
  • unlawful harassment;
  • unlawful registration to vote;
  • unlawful voting; and
  • violation of a U.S. embargo.

In general, applicants must show they have been, and continue to be, people of GMC during the statutory period before filing for naturalization and up until they take the Oath of Allegiance. The statutory period is generally five years for permanent residents of the United States, three years for applicants married to a U.S. citizen, and one year for certain applicants applying on the basis of qualifying U.S. military service.

USCIS officers must continue to perform a case-by-case analysis to determine whether an act is unlawful and adversely reflects on an applicant's good moral character. They must also determine whether there are extenuating circumstances. An extenuating circumstance must pertain to the unlawful act and must precede or be contemporaneous with the commission of the unlawful act. Training for adjudicators will be updated to reflect this expanded guidance.

For more information on USCIS and its programs, please visit uscis.gov or follow us on Twitter (@uscis), Instagram (/uscis), YouTube (/uscis), Facebook (/uscis), and LinkedIn (/uscis).

The main part is if you do not file your yearly income taxes.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

3 hours ago, sabina4 said:

hi/ if i want to contact my congressman so he can then contact uscis, are there any options besides this page i found? https://ziplook.house.gov/htbin/findrep_house

for the ones who contacted their congressman, how did you contact him ?

thanks

I called to the office and went there to drop some documents 

Hi all. I’m new here. I came into US with F1 visa and got married to my US citizen spouse after my program in school. Few months into the marriage my spouse became abusive and was always threatening to deport me back to my country and withdraw my adjustment of status application. The abuse was too much that we got separated and I returned back to school for my postgraduate studies. Then I got a letter that  the i485 was denied because he withdrew i130 saying the marriage was fraud. People aware of my situation asked me to file vawa, friends and relatives said they will give me written affidavits. Do I have to file a waiver form first or do I submit the vawa application and wait for the waiver request? Also do I file vawa only or do I file i485 with it? Please I need your advice. Thank you 

Hi Guys!!! Hope everyone is having a wonderful holidays time!!!

I would like to hear some comments from you...

just got this update in my case today... I really don’t know what it could be...

it is an update in my pending I485 that USCIS put on hold when I had my second interview based on marriage and I presented the Vawa filed notice... 

my point is... what they could need from a file that I got 2 interviews plus sent all Vawa package and it is already approved???

any idea??? Just came to my mind I-834w but I think they can request it during of after the interview... just guessing what they might need now... @sandraj @Stillwinning!!!😊 I am all ears 😊

F5F7B68F-576A-4B44-B37D-6796F568CEB3.jpeg

5 minutes ago, NeverGiveUp Nov17 said:

Hi Guys!!! Hope everyone is having a wonderful holidays time!!!

I would like to hear some comments from you...

just got this update in my case today... I really don’t know what it could be...

it is an update in my pending I485 that USCIS put on hold when I had my second interview based on marriage and I presented the Vawa filed notice... 

my point is... what they could need from a file that I got 2 interviews plus sent all Vawa package and it is already approved???

any idea??? Just came to my mind I-834w but I think they can request it during of after the interview... just guessing what they might need now... @sandraj @Stillwinning!!!😊 I am all ears 😊

F5F7B68F-576A-4B44-B37D-6796F568CEB3.jpeg

The only thing I can think of right now is i693!(medical update) The previous one should be expired by now...I was sent an RFE for that too. So be patient and confirm when you receive it.👍

5 minutes ago, Elisana said:

I received email from USCIS today saying they received my RFE and they are working in my case

Does anybody know how long it takes to send the decision please?

Thank you 

When did you apply?

Timeline

Hi guys, where do I file I-90 form? what office should I send it to? I spoke with a USCIS level 2 officer who advised I fill the form but she wasn't sure where to file it. Does anyone know? My name was wrongly written on my green card.

24 minutes ago, blujewel said:

Hi guys, where do I file I-90 form? what office should I send it to? I spoke with a USCIS level 2 officer who advised I fill the form but she wasn't sure where to file it. Does anyone know? My name was wrongly written on my green card.

You don't need to file form I-90 this form only to apply or renew your green Card.  This is a typographical error you need to do a E-Request to corrected, after you filled the information you need to sent the Card back and proof of your correct name how it show on your document. 

https://egov.uscis.gov/e-request/displayTypoForm.do?entryPoint=init&sroPageType=typoError 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, FeDaniela said:

You don't need to file form I-90 this form only to apply or renew your green Card.  This is a typographical error you need to do a E-Request to corrected, after you filled the information you need to sent the Card back and proof of your correct name how it show on your document. 

https://egov.uscis.gov/e-request/displayTypoForm.do?entryPoint=init&sroPageType=typoError 

Where do I send it to? Also do you know how long it takes to receive a new one?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.