praisejourney

RFE Personal Letter Requirements

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you are requested to write personal letters relating to an RFE item, does everything in the personal letter have to be verified with supporting documents? For example, if you say "my friends say I am a terrific guy", do you have to supply proof of that? If not, is there a preferred declaration that should be made on it like, "I certify that the personal letter is true to the best of my knowledge?"  Or is a personal letter just that, an informal letter where truth is implied?  Thank you so much!

Edited by praisejourney

19 minutes ago, praisejourney said:

If you are requested to write personal letters relating to an RFE item, does everything in the personal letter have to be verified with supporting documents? For example, if you say "my friends say I am a terrific guy", do you have to supply proof of that? If not, is there a preferred declaration that should be made on it like, "I certify that the personal letter is true to the best of my knowledge?"  Or is a personal letter just that, an informal letter where truth is implied?  Thank you so much!

It'd be helpful if you post the rfe letter itself. Personal statements/affidavits are not the best evidence. We'd be able to advise you better if we know what USCIS is asking for exactly.

It's hard to say much without knowing what they are actually asking for in the RFE.

generally, it is suggested to provide any relevant supporting evidence when available. Affidavits carry very little weight.

With your example, somebody saying you're a terrific guy is not something that is material to the petition. Whether somebody is a proud racist or a distinguished saint does not impact the petition. As such, no supporting evidence of that claim is relevant.

If there was another example like the RFE asking for evidence of meeting in person within the past 2 years, a friend providing an affidavit that they met with you and your fiance/fiancee at xyz on x/y/zzzz may have more weight than the above (which would have 0 weight). I would still call the affidavit itself pretty weak, but supporting evidence like hotel receipt(s) at xyz on that date is at least relevant to the claim. I'd still say to focus on the evidence and not a letter/affidavit, though.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
4 hours ago, billding said:

It'd be helpful if you post the rfe letter itself. Personal statements/affidavits are not the best evidence. We'd be able to advise you better if we know what USCIS is asking for exactly.

All the RFE says is, "

• Personal Letters regarding the separation"
  • Affidavits from friends and relatives

Thank  you so much for your help.

Timeline
4 hours ago, geowrian said:

It's hard to say much without knowing what they are actually asking for in the RFE.

generally, it is suggested to provide any relevant supporting evidence when available. Affidavits carry very little weight.

With your example, somebody saying you're a terrific guy is not something that is material to the petition. Whether somebody is a proud racist or a distinguished saint does not impact the petition. As such, no supporting evidence of that claim is relevant.

If there was another example like the RFE asking for evidence of meeting in person within the past 2 years, a friend providing an affidavit that they met with you and your fiance/fiancee at xyz on x/y/zzzz may have more weight than the above (which would have 0 weight). I would still call the affidavit itself pretty weak, but supporting evidence like hotel receipt(s) at xyz on that date is at least relevant to the claim. I'd still say to focus on the evidence and not a letter/affidavit, though.

All the RFE says is, "

• Personal Letters regarding the separation"
  • Affidavits from friends and relatives

Any advice?

What separation? This is the K1 visa forum and both your timeline and profile suggest this.  

It's much simplier to post the ENTIRE RFE with just your private information redacted. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
18 minutes ago, NikLR said:

What separation? This is the K1 visa forum and both your timeline and profile suggest this.  

It's much simplier to post the ENTIRE RFE with just your private information redacted. 

They need a personal letter talking about why we separated for a general waiver request for multiple filings.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
24 minutes ago, praisejourney said:

They need a personal letter talking about why we separated for a general waiver request for multiple filings.

Write a letter explaining what happened, add a sentence at the end of the letter that everything you say is truthful, under penalty of perjury, and sign it.  Get friends and relatives to write letters, ending with the same statement, verifying that your relationship is genuine and that they have first-hand knowledge of it, or first-hand knowledge of your prior separation that seems to be the focus of the waiver you need to move forward.  These signed letters with the statement at the end are affidavits.  Send them exactly what they are asking for as soon as possible.  Good luck!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Write a letter explaining what happened, add a sentence at the end of the letter that everything you say is truthful, under penalty of perjury, and sign it.  Get friends and relatives to write letters, ending with the same statement, verifying that your relationship is genuine and that they have first-hand knowledge of it, or first-hand knowledge of your prior separation that seems to be the focus of the waiver you need to move forward.  These signed letters with the statement at the end are affidavits.  Send them exactly what they are asking for as soon as possible.  Good luck!

Thanks Carmel. That is awesome! Is it ok to say, "everything is truthful to the best of my knowledge, under penalty of perjury.

18 hours ago, praisejourney said:

For example, if you say "my friends say I am a terrific guy", do you have to supply proof of that?

"Proof" isn't a word that can be used in this context.  It is a subjective judgement.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I would get signed affidavits from witnesses or friends.  If ex spouse is cooperative, get leases, or closing of accounts like bank etc to build a case of separation.

=============
5/20/2019 - I129 Submitted

5/22/19 - NOA1

*~*~*procedural question moved from “progress reports” to “process and procedures”*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

For the multiple filer waiver, they are pretty much just looking for a letter describing the circumstances. The affidavits and such are all secondary, and supporting evidence isn't a significant factor. The main thing is a description of the past filings, what happened, and actually requesting the waiver.

Best wishes.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.