Z&W

W2 and tax return goes together in same pdf file?

18 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Z&W said:

Hello,

I am wondering where should I upload W2 when submitting Tax return to NVC.

Should I attach W2 together in same pdf file with tax return or should I upload W2 separately?  

Seperatly under additional docs

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Tbh i dont see why you wouldnt upload them together.  A w2 is part of a tax return.  Without a w2 or 1099 or schedule c etc... there is no proof of income and the tax return is incomplete

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

33 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Tbh i dont see why you wouldnt upload them together.  A w2 is part of a tax return.  Without a w2 or 1099 or schedule c etc... there is no proof of income and the tax return is incomplete

I had also thought the same but I saw on Facebook thread where I864 AOS got rejected when he submitted the supporting documents same in one pdf. 
NVC wanted only AOS under Affidavit of support and supporting documents under additional docs.. 

Edited by Z&W

47 minutes ago, Z&W said:

I had also thought the same but I saw on Facebook thread where I864 AOS got rejected when he submitted the supporting documents same in one pdf. 
NVC wanted only AOS under Affidavit of support and supporting documents under additional docs.. 

well that makes sense.  It doesn't make sense to upload the w2 separate from the tax return. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Don't! One of our files got rejected because of that. Upload them in different files. If you're sending form 1040 or your itr then place that on the required docs. You can upload your w2 in additional docs. As for the delay, we have been delayed for almost 2 months now, just because of that mistake. Hope you don't wait as long.

4 hours ago, Don and Demi said:

Don't! One of our files got rejected because of that. Upload them in different files. If you're sending form 1040 or your itr then place that on the required docs. You can upload your w2 in additional docs. As for the delay, we have been delayed for almost 2 months now, just because of that mistake. Hope you don't wait as long.

Agree’d I’ve seen several threads with rejections saying similar.... document to go under its own heading... eg transcrips under its own title, W2’s their own title and so on.. 

AOS Journey

• NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021

5 hours ago, NikLR said:

I’m not entirely sure if it is or isn’t part of the return to be honest.. but irs website does issues them separately from the transcripts..

after seeing people post their rejections about combining files.

It appears that uploading multi year docs of the same type eg transcrips (2016-18) under one tab is fine.. but not one year combined docs eg 2018 transcrips & W2.. their specifying seperatly under required document type heading. 

AOS Journey

• NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021

So uploading the tax return for 2018 and w2 on the same doc leads to rejection? That sucks, guess I should have went to "additional". Guess im waiting 6 weeks to hear that I need to upload separate and or other things, then 2 months more according to most people. I already submitted so nothing I can do but wait for them to say re upload separate

4 hours ago, Duke & Marie said:

I’m not entirely sure if it is or isn’t part of the return to be honest.. but irs website does issues them separately from the transcripts..

after seeing people post their rejections about combining files.

It appears that uploading multi year docs of the same type eg transcrips (2016-18) under one tab is fine.. but not one year combined docs eg 2018 transcrips & W2.. their specifying seperatly under required document type heading. 

But a w2 isnt needed with a tax return transcript, it's needed with a tax return. 

4 hours ago, NikLR said:

But a w2 isnt needed with a tax return transcript, it's needed with a tax return. 

Was for example purpose only.. 

just know, I got asked for both transcripts and w2, and had to upload seperatly..

i think is hit hit and miss based on mood too much these days, I just wish they’d make their minds up

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021

The website still allows me to upload additional documents to my AOS, since I already submitted the tax return with w2 attached in the required section, it won't let me change that but the additional section shows I can upload more even though everything else submitted, should I upload the w2 again and submit in the separate section?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 12/6/2019 at 8:24 AM, NikLR said:

Because Return is the from 1040. the emtpy form 1040 does not contains w2 so why would it be considered part of return.

W2 is a seperate form that is provided as evidence for the 1040 along with other docs.

On 12/10/2019 at 12:17 PM, Questionsforall said:

The website still allows me to upload additional documents to my AOS, since I already submitted the tax return with w2 attached in the required section, it won't let me change that but the additional section shows I can upload more even though everything else submitted, should I upload the w2 again and submit in the separate section?

yes. should be fine.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.