Joe98

Concerns with my k1 visa petition

8 posts in this topic

This might be my last posting for a while, maybe. I'm not here to ask questions but to voice my concerns. I went to my lawyer today and signed the k1 visa petition and so forth because he wanted to get it sent out and so do I. My main concern is about the pictures. I brought him a lot of pictures during my previous visit before today so the paralegal could pick some out to be sent. I was under the impression that she would pick just a few out and I would write down the date and where they were taken. No, the lawyer just took all of them and put them in an envelope. Nothing written on them or anything put on a paper. He just stuffed them in an envelope. I wasn't happy about that but I didn't say anything. He also still insisted on sending the g325a with the petition. I told him that that was fine but from my research it was not needed and it wasn't listed on the checklist on the uscis website. But I agreed to go ahead and send it. I am honestly expecting to receive an rfe or more for the pictures. I could even get an rfe for the hand written letters of intent. I also hand wrote a declaration of how my fiancee and I met but he said it was already in the petition, just a small sentence. I might get very lucky and be approved just fine but I honestly feel more could be done with the pictures and things could have been prepared a little neater but I guess I will find out. He at least did say that it is part of his job and responsibility to deal with rfes if they are received. Like I said earlier, I guess I will find out what happens. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Joe98 said:

This might be my last posting for a while, maybe. I'm not here to ask questions but to voice my concerns. I went to my lawyer today and signed the k1 visa petition and so forth because he wanted to get it sent out and so do I. My main concern is about the pictures. I brought him a lot of pictures during my previous visit before today so the paralegal could pick some out to be sent. I was under the impression that she would pick just a few out and I would write down the date and where they were taken. No, the lawyer just took all of them and put them in an envelope. Nothing written on them or anything put on a paper. He just stuffed them in an envelope. I wasn't happy about that but I didn't say anything. He also still insisted on sending the g325a with the petition. I told him that that was fine but from my research it was not needed and it wasn't listed on the checklist on the uscis website. But I agreed to go ahead and send it. I am honestly expecting to receive an rfe or more for the pictures. I could even get an rfe for the hand written letters of intent. I also hand wrote a declaration of how my fiancee and I met but he said it was already in the petition, just a small sentence. I might get very lucky and be approved just fine but I honestly feel more could be done with the pictures and things could have been prepared a little neater but I guess I will find out. He at least did say that it is part of his job and responsibility to deal with rfes if they are received. Like I said earlier, I guess I will find out what happens. 

Pictures are secondary evidence and do not prove meeting within the past two years.  Many have been approved with no pictures.   

G325a while not needed, including won't harm you. 

The circumstances of meeting can merely be a couple of sentences.  No long love story required 

You may be just fine 

YMMV

Just curious as to why you’re using a lawyer for a K-1?  Generally totally unnecessary, and they often screw things up.

Pics are not required for the petition.  We sent none and had no problems.

good luck.

My experience is the same as @Jorgedig and @payxibka opined. No pictures and no long love story. Were passed with no problems.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

What exactly did your lawyer do, for the money you paid?

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

This post is in regards to the question posted to me by sarge2155. First I will not comment on the price of my lawyer since I don’t feel it is necessary to do so. Also, this might not quite answer your question about what my lawyer did for me, but for me personally the instructions for the petition were rather confusing for me even after I read through them several times. And I realize this website is a free resource and so forth but there are times when I have asked a question here and there and was actually told to just read the instructions when once again I had specified that they were confusing. So not everyone’s answers to some of my questions were very helpful. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has used a lawyer and I really needed some piece of mind. Sarge2155, you probably did your paperwork on your own and I am happy for you. I just ask that you respect my decision to use a lawyer for this matter. I originally wasn’t going to post anything else for a while but I felt I needed to address the question imposed on me by sarge2155. Although I don’t think he was trying to put me down for using a lawyer for my k1 visa petition, it did sound like he was questioning my intelligence for paperwork. I’m not trying to start an argument or anything, but no one needs to question someone’s decision to use a lawyer for this process or the price for the service. I’m guessing sarge2155 will most likely comment back to my posting and his comments will probably be unfavorable, but I am done with comments and questions for the time being until my paperwork gets through the uscis.

32 minutes ago, Joe98 said:

This post is in regards to the question posted to me by sarge2155. First I will not comment on the price of my lawyer since I don’t feel it is necessary to do so. Also, this might not quite answer your question about what my lawyer did for me, but for me personally the instructions for the petition were rather confusing for me even after I read through them several times. ....

Most of us here have seen what a lawyer can do to ones submitted "packages". The outcome sometimes have been fought with wrong documents, no documents, no communication and there are many more. We hope you understand our questioning your decision to use a lawyer. Of course your's may do a good job for you. 

We also can recommend that the more involved you are with the process the more you can follow-up on just what it is your lawyer is relaying to you and what he/she is actually submitting on your behalf. Remember, if you are denied it's not their fault it's yours because you supposedly reviewed all the documents and signed off. Just saw a couple get denied because a "married before" box was ticked and he was never married before. CO at the interview said tough you signed the application. So, I advise you to get connected with the process and not sit on the side lines afraid to ask another question.  Here are some links for you to study. The best step by step guide for the Philippines is from our friend @Hank_. You'll find his website very helpful. I might add connecting over in the sub-forum for the people processing the PH is also linked below. Good luck.

Link to the Embassy Letter/P3/Checklist

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_gN0SjyLEdkLj1WR7QuBDDJumcvByyGX/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yt5aVD7vlHG-dgnzzKW_5ijRYpkrV5km/view?usp=sharing

Embassy letter for a non-immigrant K=1

https://ph.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/fiancee-visa/the-interview/

Hank's website

http://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/k-1-visa-application.html

Additional information can be found here:

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ph/index.html?firstTime=No

Also, there is a sub-forum for the Philippines here on VJ that you should be a part of. It's a good place to read what others are experiencing which will only prepare you for your interview.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

Manila US Embassy states that a scanned copy of the signed I-134 is fine, if you don't have the original.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Joe98 said:

This post is in regards to the question posted to me by sarge2155. First I will not comment on the price of my lawyer since I don’t feel it is necessary to do so. Also, this might not quite answer your question about what my lawyer did for me, but for me personally the instructions for the petition were rather confusing for me even after I read through them several times. And I realize this website is a free resource and so forth but there are times when I have asked a question here and there and was actually told to just read the instructions when once again I had specified that they were confusing. So not everyone’s answers to some of my questions were very helpful. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has used a lawyer and I really needed some piece of mind. Sarge2155, you probably did your paperwork on your own and I am happy for you. I just ask that you respect my decision to use a lawyer for this matter. I originally wasn’t going to post anything else for a while but I felt I needed to address the question imposed on me by sarge2155. Although I don’t think he was trying to put me down for using a lawyer for my k1 visa petition, it did sound like he was questioning my intelligence for paperwork. I’m not trying to start an argument or anything, but no one needs to question someone’s decision to use a lawyer for this process or the price for the service. I’m guessing sarge2155 will most likely comment back to my posting and his comments will probably be unfavorable, but I am done with comments and questions for the time being until my paperwork gets through the uscis.

Judging by your initial posting I am not sure your got that "peace of mind" you were seeking.     (sadly) Most lawyers, honestly, are not very good at completing the visa petition, which is scary ...   

I hope all goes well for you and you do not receive an RFE.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.