Xiaoni

Renew driver license with EAD in CA

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi there, need some help about renewing my driver license in CA.

I'm K1 visa holder, entered US in June 2019 and filed AOS in August 2019.

I got a temporary driver license in August 2019 after passing driving test, but since I-797 was going to be expired (I guess), I never received a formal one.

Last week I received my EAD, can I use my EAD to ask for a valid driver license? What documents I should bring to DMV?

Thanks soooo much for any input for my case!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Xiaoni said:

I got a temporary driver license in August 2019 after passing driving test, but since I-797 was going to be expired (I guess), I never received a formal one.

Last week I received my EAD, can I use my EAD to ask for a valid driver license? What documents I should bring to DMV?

Look at the California dmv website .  Everything should be listed 

YMMV

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You should ask a Moderator to move your posting to the Moving to the US and Your New Life in America forum, such topics are discussed at that forum. These types of topics are routinely discussed at that forum, consider taking some time to review some recent threads at that forum for possible similar responses.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, Pitaya said:

You should ask a Moderator to move your posting to the Moving to the US and Your New Life in America forum, such topics are discussed at that forum. These types of topics are routinely discussed at that forum, consider taking some time to review some recent threads at that forum for possible similar responses.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Is that another forum? I tried to search similar topics in visajourney but couldn't get the answer.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, Xiaoni said:

Is that another forum? I tried to search similar topics in visajourney but couldn't get the answer.

Yes, that other forum has a lot of info from folks dealing with similar issues from all of the states, since every state has their own particular nuances regarding obtaining DL and ID cards. Just let your fingers do the walking.  Here is one that I found from last week by just reviewing a couple of previous pages of postings in that aforementioned forum: 

This one may not be exactly what you need, however there are quite likely several more related to Cali. DMV matters. What info does the Cali. DMV site provide: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/dmv/dl ?

Good luck on your immigration journey and using this very informative DIY site. 

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline
11 hours ago, Xiaoni said:

I got my driver's permit today. I went to my DMV in Colorado after I got my EAD. I already had passed the written test in August but didn't get the driver's permit since my I-94 was expired and they didn't verify me on the save system.

When I went today the lady asked for my I-797 notice. When I told her that I have received my EAD card, she asked me to show it. I showed the EAD card and she said that since I do not have my permanent residency card yet the EAD card trumps other proofs or documents at this point of time and for permanent license I can show the EAD card. So I guess in ur case too u can use ur EAD card will suffice as proof for a driving license unless ur local DMV has different rules.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.