KATERINA123

Can I still come if my husband doesn't want me to?

48 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline
1 hour ago, KATERINA123 said:

I know that this is not an immigration thing, but maybe you guys know how soon I can get a divorce? I read that we need to be separated for a year before filing?

He also said that he will take 50% of my money if we divorce and that I will get nothing because everything he has is not in his name.  I said he is an idiot for thinking that. 

I don't want anything from him, just for him to leave me alone.

Yeah whenever you do come in, don't let him know anything and have no communication at all. You should seriously change phone number/email address so he doesn't trace to you (and bug the hell out of you with giving you much stress and annoyance in life) but on your end you'll want to only update the USCIS/Your Embassy your new phone number/email and they generally do not give out that info. This will put you in a better place, and as soon you find a job (easiest one to start out with is the public related job like fast food, they are always hiring and people can always help you around with anything and tell you more!)

In the meantime, please take some time to check out this thread to prepare yourself.

You can do it very well and move on much easier like that. I would do the same if this situation happened to me. Good luck!

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [F]) [2018-2019]

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Sent packet: June 16, 2022 via USPS, USCIS Received Package: June 21
Notice in text (didn't get email nor text on other phone): June 24
Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
NOA 1 Mail: June 30, Biometric: Reused
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Naturalization N-400 [2023-2024]

Spoiler

Filed Online: July 28, 2023NOA: July 29, 2023
Service Center: NBC, application # starts with IOE#.
Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.
NOA as of 4/29/24 - Oath Ceremony scheduled for May 30th in Chattanooga, TN. Rescheduled as of May 2nd, 2024 by USCIS - new date is May 29th.
May 29th - Naturalized! Ta-da!

17 hours ago, KATERINA123 said:

I hope not LOL I am not a model

I was just reading this now

Well, it was pretty coincidental. I wish you the best on whatever you decide to do. I personally cannot give any advice in regards to the immigration visa because I don't have any experience with your specific situation. But I did went through divorce because my husband cheated. I was in the middle of removal of conditions so it was scary facing immigration in that regard letting them know I was going through divorce. But my 10 year green card was approved, and my life just changed for the better after i left my ex. My ex was also a blamer, he used really bad language with me when he was mad. 

So it may be hard, but it will get better.  Best of luck :)

AOS:

Sent AOS Package: Feb 2014

Received Green Card: September 2014

ROC:

Sent ROC Package: Sep 2016

Approved: Feb 2018 

N400:

Filed: 7/9/19 online

Bios: 7/29/19

Interview: 12/10/19

Oath: 01/07/2020

July 2019  N400 spread sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19rv0w-Ls_-225a0AqzhsTObXb2DcT07oACpdIHhn9dE/edit

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
8 hours ago, KATERINA123 said:

What is ToS??

Visajourney.com Terms of Service

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, WaterLeaf said:

and as soon you find a job (easiest one to start out with is the public related job like fast food, they are always hiring and people can always help you around with anything and tell you more!)

OP said she’s got a job lined up 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Lots of advice here to ponder

but aside from the immigration part,  he is your husband

that requires he needs to accept some responsibility as your spouse 

he can not just shovel you off by saying "don't want you anymore"

if you do come to the USA ,  do not sign divorce papers without seeing a lawyer here

he can serve papers to you if he wants a divorce thru the lawyer

If you are unable to come,  still do not sign papers he sends

i usually don't say anything when it comes to divorce but you gave up a job and sold everything to come to him

he now,  needs to understand how much this impacted you and your future and the pain it caused

on lighter side,   you are lucky you don't have to live with someone who blames others and can't accept his own issues

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Hijack post post removed along with one reply. Please do not post your own questions for your own case in other members threads.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Timeline
13 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM050412.html

This was given to Brian.  I did it.  9FAM and literal interpretation of 9FAM is not a TOS violation and never will be.

There is little to nothing that can be done once a visa has been issued in the passport, and even if rescinded the beneficiary has the right to appeal it.  It is not a matter of just cancelling the affidavit.  That can be done until the physical visa is issued just as it can be done during AOS up to the time the green card is issued.  After that, the rules change, the applicant is approved to immigrate, and the process is complete.

I think we agree more then we disagree... Im not comfortable with the wording 'the process is complete' (after issuance but before entry) because technically it can be revoked after issuance but before entry, so thats not process complete nothing can be done. It can still be revoked but it would need to be done before entry. After entry then I would consider it 'complete' and not able to be undone. Now Im not saying the process of getting a withdrawal acknowledged after issuance but before entry is simple! But it is possible and she does have 1 month + time until her scheduled entry so there is time for him to pursue a withdrawal. Right now she has been 'approved to immigrate' however until she actually does there is a way (and chance) for it to be stopped, so I am not comfortable presenting her with advice of you are 100% safe and nothing can happen to stop you.

Based on my understanding of how it works she would most likely know its being canceled before she starts to travel- the consulate would contact her to come back in so they could cancel her visa. But if they are unable to or by some odd chance of timing they are taking action while she is enroute or she avoids responding to their requests to come in,  they could alert CBP and theoretically grab her at a layover or at entry point to cancel it.  Very slim chance that happens but since it is possible she should be aware of such. 

And as a side note- I think its not so much of a TOS issue as it is a moral issue. Many people feel if a couple divorces the alien should not be allowed to ROC quoting the purpose of residency is for family unity so if they are not going to be with the US spouse they shouldnt have residency. Obviously ROC is allowed for those that divorce. And its similar in this case. Once the CR/IR visa is issued the alien is allowed to use it regardless of what the relationship status is. Many people may not like that and find it morally reprehensible but because it is allowed under policy we should not be withholding applicable information just because we dont agree with it.  Fortunately theres not much of that going on in this thread but I have seen it in other threads..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Katarina,

I would make sure that you secure all the documents you may need. Do you guys have a shared account? Do you share bills? Can you get your hands on such copies? You may also need the tax reports.

He filled out an affidavit of support for you. Based on that, unless you guys had a sponsor, you know what he is earning.

All in all, dogs that bark do not necessarily bite when it comes to division of assets. The more noise he is making right now the less concerned I am. I don't think he thought this was coming. It doesn't sound like he had a plan in place and was meticulously executing that. And to hear him say that you need to pay him etc sounds more desperate than anything.

If I were you, I would disengage and ignore any discussion about finances. If possible, I would book a quick weekend trip to the US and activate your GC, change your address, find a place to stay and contact a lawyer.

1 minute ago, R&OC said:

Katarina,

I would make sure that you secure all the documents you may need. Do you guys have a shared account? Do you share bills? Can you get your hands on such copies? You may also need the tax reports.

He filled out an affidavit of support for you. Based on that, unless you guys had a sponsor, you know what he is earning.

All in all, dogs that bark do not necessarily bite when it comes to division of assets. The more noise he is making right now the less concerned I am. I don't think he thought this was coming. It doesn't sound like he had a plan in place and was meticulously executing that. And to hear him say that you need to pay him etc sounds more desperate than anything.

If I were you, I would disengage and ignore any discussion about finances. If possible, I would book a quick weekend trip to the US and activate your GC, change your address, find a place to stay and contact a lawyer.

We share nothing, I refused to open an account with him because he is reckless with money.

I do have his tax reports because I am the one who has the password to his IRS account, he is too lazy to take care of thing, I used to do his taxes.   

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
3 minutes ago, KATERINA123 said:

We share nothing, I refused to open an account with him because he is reckless with money.

I do have his tax reports because I am the one who has the password to his IRS account, he is too lazy to take care of thing, I used to do his taxes.   

Then secure copies of everything in case passwords are changed. And just keep a file safe somewhere.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Well we know the OP has assets, well the cash results anyway, unclear about her husband. Anyway as others have said an equitable distribution would be a matter for the Courts and to some extent depends on the State involved.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline
4 hours ago, Russ&MaryAnn said:

OP said she’s got a job lined up 

My bad.

Questionably, does the guy know where is she going to work at? Something she may have to consider for safety reasons.

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [F]) [2018-2019]

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Sent packet: June 16, 2022 via USPS, USCIS Received Package: June 21
Notice in text (didn't get email nor text on other phone): June 24
Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
NOA 1 Mail: June 30, Biometric: Reused
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Naturalization N-400 [2023-2024]

Spoiler

Filed Online: July 28, 2023NOA: July 29, 2023
Service Center: NBC, application # starts with IOE#.
Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.
NOA as of 4/29/24 - Oath Ceremony scheduled for May 30th in Chattanooga, TN. Rescheduled as of May 2nd, 2024 by USCIS - new date is May 29th.
May 29th - Naturalized! Ta-da!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
19 minutes ago, WaterLeaf said:

My bad.

Questionably, does the guy know where is she going to work at? Something she may have to consider for safety reasons.

It doesn’t matter. Finding one isn’t that difficult in the US. They will probably encounter each other during divorce anyway. She will have to involve cops if she gets threatening approach from him.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, arken said:

It doesn’t matter. Finding one isn’t that difficult in the US. They will probably encounter each other during divorce anyway. She will have to involve cops if she gets threatening approach from him.

Well her job/income is part of the discovery process.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.