Game_blouses04

Something interesting happened today while at social security office with my wife

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

So my wife arrived here in virginia from  the phillipines 2 weeks ago. We tied the knot last week, and went to the social security office to get her a social security number today with my last name attached to hers. After a fun 3 hour wait our number finally  was called and everything went smooth. Something popped  up towards the end when she was trying to change wife's name to mine on the card though. She said she was having an issue because the immigration office was already in the process of something  regarding her name. She said it was probably the  EAD, or the permanent residency. 

We havent started  our AOS package at all....She mentioned it was something new they were doing and they didnt give them a heads  up about this new process that automatically starts to process K1 visa holders for EAD or AOS. I highly doubt it was the AOS because of the money and complicated procedure  involved with that.  I frequent  this board pretty often and havent seen anything regarding this. Does anyone know about it? Sorry for the wall of text..

Cheers

See the many threads on here advising to only apply for the initial SSN card in the maiden name.

Your fatal error was applying in the married name. There are very few SSA agents that know how to process/that they are allowed to process it and will spit various excuses when unable/unsure of how to.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

She mentioned it was something new they were doing and they didnt give them a heads up about this new process that automatically starts to process K1 visa holders for EAD or AOS.   Yeah, no.  Not a thing.  If only though, right?!  SSA employees are not generally expected to be well versed in immigration law.

The issue was applying for the SSN after the wedding.  

And it is recommended that you do file for AOS and EAD/AP ASAP,  just to get into the queue.  EAD/AP in particular is taking six months at the moment.  AOS can take 12-24 months, depending on local field office.

Edited by Jorgedig

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.