19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I admitted I used marijuana once back in 2003 when i was in college. Which now you know you wish you didn't do if you're in the same situation. It prompted me to do a physical evaluation that now cost 2000 pesos and the miscellaneous fees of having to go back and forth the clinic. Its so stressful that i was bleeding due to it. Anyway, I did what i had to do, went in to do the physical evaluation. The doctor was very kind, relaxed and calm. Its basically just you telling a story of who you are on a personal level. Your family, background, job related, relationship related. It was about 15 minutes interview and i was done. The doctor said i can go back to the N room for instructions. I got there and the lady said i can't have the immunization until they get the results from the physical evaluation. They made me come back the next day. I went in the next day, got my immunization and results but not all of it since they said i did the evaluation they will forward it to the embassy. By the way, this happened three days before my visa interview. So imagine my stress. I kept on asking the lady in the Nroom if I'll have to reschedule my interview. She said there's still time. Fast forward to my interview, the consul never asked anything about my marijuana admission and me and my kids (k2) got our visas. 

It's a good thing it wasn't recently. As you know, the current administration in your country is on a shoot-to-kill drug war. I've read other reports of a 1 year USA ban for drug use. 

21 hours ago, Ktine said:

I admitted I used marijuana once back in 2003 when i was in college. Which now you know you wish you didn't do if you're in the same situation. It prompted me to do a physical evaluation that now cost 2000 pesos and the miscellaneous fees of having to go back and forth the clinic. Its so stressful that i was bleeding due to it. Anyway, I did what i had to do, went in to do the physical evaluation. ...

For most who process through USEM and admit to marijuana use are sent to a psychology session where you tell your story. We see those who are not regular users get a pass and go on to get their visas. This is just a hiccup in the process. Being honest is a good thing so don't beat yourself up that you did the right thing.  You should be find.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
22 hours ago, user555 said:

It's a good thing it wasn't recently. As you know, the current administration in your country is on a shoot-to-kill drug war. I've read other reports of a 1 year USA ban for drug use. 

Based from reading posts on here i don't they still do that one year ban. Probably from back 5-10yrs ago

3 hours ago, Ktine said:

Based from reading posts on here i don't they still do that one year ban. Probably from back 5-10yrs ago

The information provided on this website is not US law. In order to know the facts, please read the US law:

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid%3AUSC-prelim-title8-section1182&num=0&edition=prelim

aliens who are inadmissible under the following paragraphs are ineligible to receive visas, and ineligible to be admitted to the United States: who is determined (in accordance with regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Health and Human Services) to be a drug abuser or addict

How does the US define a drug abuser?

42 CFR §34.2(g)

Drug abuse. The non-medical use of a substance listed in section 202 of the Controlled Substances Act, as amended (21 U.S.C. 802) which has not necessarily resulted in physical or psychological dependence.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2010-title42-vol1/pdf/CFR-2010-title42-vol1-sec34-2.pdf

This means you don't have to be addicted to it and you don't have to have a pattern of use. One time is enough for the US government to declare a drug user ineligible to receive a visa. 

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9kxmay/i-got-banned-from-the-us-when-airport-security-found-my-coke-texts

A few months ago, this British tourist arrived in Los Angeles and was banned for ten years from the USA for admitting to drug use from a few years ago. 

5 hours ago, user555 said:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9kxmay/i-got-banned-from-the-us-when-airport-security-found-my-coke-texts

A few months ago, this British tourist arrived in Los Angeles and was banned for ten years from the USA for admitting to drug use from a few years ago. 

If you go to the Philippines sub-forum and puros through the history you will see this topic discussed where MANY have admitted to using and have had their psychologist meeting and were recommend to be adjudicated for their visa. I have yet to see anyone banned from the Philippines who have taken this path. Each embassy has the discretion to determine what will be their guidelines. 

This basically is a can that should be kicked down the road because it has NO validity here. Maybe my friend @Hank_ can add more as he has been here longer then I and has experience helping others get their visa from the Philippines.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 11/29/2019 at 11:14 AM, Ktine said:

I admitted I used marijuana once back in 2003 when i was in college. Which now you know you wish you didn't do if you're in the same situation. It prompted me to do a physical evaluation that now cost 2000 pesos and the miscellaneous fees of having to go back and forth the clinic. Its so stressful that i was bleeding due to it. Anyway, I did what i had to do, went in to do the physical evaluation. The doctor was very kind, relaxed and calm. Its basically just you telling a story of who you are on a personal level. Your family, background, job related, relationship related. It was about 15 minutes interview and i was done. The doctor said i can go back to the N room for instructions. I got there and the lady said i can't have the immunization until they get the results from the physical evaluation. They made me come back the next day. I went in the next day, got my immunization and results but not all of it since they said i did the evaluation they will forward it to the embassy. By the way, this happened three days before my visa interview. So imagine my stress. I kept on asking the lady in the Nroom if I'll have to reschedule my interview. She said there's still time. Fast forward to my interview, the consul never asked anything about my marijuana admission and me and my kids (k2) got our visas. 

Your situation is not uncommon ... not an everyday thing, but not uncommon.   I know of a fair number that have been through what you have, it is not an problem with the embassy, the visa is issued and  it never comes up again in the USA either.

I know some that were all stressed, even for AOS later in the USA ... but it was not brought up again .. eventually they relaxed.    :)  

Do  you have CFO-GCP completed for yourself and, depending on the age, your children they will need CFO-PDOS (at a minimum they will have to be registered) to receive the sticker to exit?

https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/cfo.html

Philippines forum  https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 11/30/2019 at 12:03 AM, user555 said:

That is a bit over the edge ...  doubt "Dirty Roddy" is shooting a person for smoking a joint.     :lol:   

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

This article says about 9% of drugs seized are marijuana. The PH administration said 5,000 people were killed in the past two years because of drugs. A human rights group says it's closer to 12,000. Let's just say it is 7,000. 9% of that is 630 people. 630 people have been killed due to marijuana use. Let's say half of those are dealers and the the final 50% is split between heavy users and recreational (or one time) users. That could be 157 people who have been murdered for marijuana use.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/asian-journal-of-law-and-society/article/governing-through-killing-the-war-on-drugs-in-the-philippines/878BFFB53E2705BEFD2373CDAC3E84F4/core-reader

I can't find the year on this, but drug bans still occur. 

http://asianjournalusa.com/illegal-drug-use-will-disqualify-you-from-getting-an-immigrant-visa-p8814-162.htm

Just because you haven't seen it in this forum doesn't mean it never happens. How many people do you think fill out the application themselves AND join this forum? How many people pay lawyers or groups to fill out the paperwork for them? I've looked at the stats and this forum is a small drop in the bucket compared to the total number of applications submitted to the US government. 

This lady's green card/adjustment of status interview next year might be as equally as stressful as her medical evaluation. You can include stories about other other people on the forum, but the US law still clearly states the definition of drug abuse. It may go against our personal opinion of what it should mean, but the law is the law. 

7 hours ago, user555 said:

This article says about 9% of drugs seized are marijuana. The PH administration said 5,000 people were killed in the past two years because of drugs. A human rights group says it's closer to 12,000. Let's just say it is 7,000. 9% of that is 630 people. 630 people have been killed due to marijuana use. Let's say half of those are dealers and the the final 50% is split between heavy users and recreational (or one time) users. That could be 157 people who have been murdered for marijuana use.

Why are you trying to be the bogeyman? In the grand scheme of things the applicant, based her posting and some of us that have been here for many years should not have a problem. So let's put this to rest and say that you have your view point and we have ours. OP can choose what she want to follow.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, user555 said:

Why are trying to paint me as a bogeyman?

Because a boogyman plays on irrational fears. Thats kind of what you are doing....

Look there are official policies and then there is the practical application of said policies. In the official policies it allows for both a mandatory ban and the option of the Dr (by sending you to a psych dr typically) but an option for the Dr to make the determination you are not a drug user and subject to the ban. In the PI it is common practice for the Drs to do such. In other places it is common practice for them to not do such. 

16 hours ago, Villanelle said:

Because a boogyman plays on irrational fears. Thats kind of what you are doing....

Look there are official policies and then there is the practical application of said policies. In the official policies it allows for both a mandatory ban and the option of the Dr (by sending you to a psych dr typically) but an option for the Dr to make the determination you are not a drug user and subject to the ban. In the PI it is common practice for the Drs to do such. In other places it is common practice for them to not do such. 

Well said. Thanks for chiming in. :thumbs:

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

18 hours ago, Villanelle said:

I'm stating facts. The boogeyman doesn't exist in real life. If you're offended by the laws put in place, I cannot help you with that. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.