jd.

K-1's, are you keeping your citizenships?

35 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Cryssiekins said:

You don’t get to keep OHIP, unfortunately.  The day you leave the province with the intention of living somewhere else, you forego health insurance.  For that, you do have to live there.  Your partner can add you to their insurance, even without a SSN. It’s a bit of a pain in the butt to deal with insurance and banks while you don’t have a SSN, but they have to.  My calls usually involved supervisors and higher, as it’s not a common thing they do, but it can be done.  (I had massive issues with SSA when I got here, so my advice double check the details on your i94 [spelling of your name especially] before you leave customs).

Also, for taxes:  the first time you file while in the US, I found it easier to use a service to assist as I had a mix of Canadian and US income, and there was an additional form to be declared a US resident for tax purposes.  After that, you just file with the US.  CRA, to my knowledge, does not require you to file a nil report, unless you have income (from a rental property, etc).

See that's what I thought! My parents kept hounding to keep renewing my OHIP when needed but it didn't make sense for me to keep it if I'm not even a resident in Canada anymore. Thank you for clearing that up for me!

So my fiance can definitely put me on his insurance right away then, we always thought we had to wait until I get the SSN.

Thank you so so so much for this, you are so helpful ❤️ 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, donjamie said:

See that's what I thought! My parents kept hounding to keep renewing my OHIP when needed but it didn't make sense for me to keep it if I'm not even a resident in Canada anymore. Thank you for clearing that up for me!

So my fiance can definitely put me on his insurance right away then, we always thought we had to wait until I get the SSN.

Thank you so so so much for this, you are so helpful ❤️ 

It seems silly for everything that needs to be considered, especially bc I literally only moved 20 minutes away, but that silly invisible line in Lake Erie makes a big difference.  

The first few months sorting everything out is a real headache (if you’re bringing a car, for example) but eventually, things are done and then you can relax.

My Canadian Doctor is awesome and is a Doctor to help people vs for the paycheque, so she still sees me (virtually) as I have a condition that requires regular medication, which, even without a benefit is cheaper in Canada ($20/CAD for 60 days) than in the US with our insurance ($50/USD for 30 days).  She just doesn’t bill OHIP for the renewals, and in turn, I make an annual donation to her foundation that helps people in third world countries.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife and I both agree that US Citizenship for her makes alot of sense.  Just the ability to travel as a US Citizen is probably the biggest draw for her.  

As far as the healthcare, I added my wife the day after we were married.  No SSN required.  We didn't actually apply for her SSN until after she received her EAD.  We live in MD, so not sure if laws are different state to state.  I do know that marriage is a qualifying life event, so you do not have to wait until open enrollment.  

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Cryssiekins said:

It seems silly for everything that needs to be considered, especially bc I literally only moved 20 minutes away, but that silly invisible line in Lake Erie makes a big difference.  

The first few months sorting everything out is a real headache (if you’re bringing a car, for example) but eventually, things are done and then you can relax.

My Canadian Doctor is awesome and is a Doctor to help people vs for the paycheque, so she still sees me (virtually) as I have a condition that requires regular medication, which, even without a benefit is cheaper in Canada ($20/CAD for 60 days) than in the US with our insurance ($50/USD for 30 days).  She just doesn’t bill OHIP for the renewals, and in turn, I make an annual donation to her foundation that helps people in third world countries.  

I’d keep it quiet if your canadian doctor was practicing virtual medicine in the US

Timeline
59 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

I’d keep it quiet if your canadian doctor was practicing virtual medicine in the US

Good point, though not sure it’s technically a problem - it’s basically just signing off when the Canadian pharmacy faxed her office to renew the prescription, and I would pick it up in Canada on my next drive over.

Timeline

I'm going to get US citizenship as I don't want to deal with USCIS for the rest of my life haha. Being able to vote is another pro. Also certain jobs like with the federal government require US citizenship, if that's something you're interested in.

Dual offers advantages for both sides along with responsibilities as others have mentioned. Personally I'm keeping mine for our future kids since I wasn't born in Canada and we want them to have an option. It also gives my husband an option to move back north with me, should we ever decide to.

Re: Canadian federal elections, you can vote as long as you remain a citizen -- your vote will count towards the riding of your last Canadian residence so you choose from the reps there. I voted by mail in early October but didn't receive any notification of receipt, not sure if that's the norm.

I'm guessing OHIP is like BC's MSP which was $37.50/month for me so that was cut off right when I left lol.

Edited by Nashvan

I will apply for US citizenship but definitely keep my Luxembourg citizenship for several reasons. 

1. The more options for different places to live and work, the better. (Luxembourg is part of the EU so a ton of options there)
2. Even though I was born in Luxembourg, I got citizenship through naturalization (no birthright citizenship). I had to apply to get it. 

3. My passport is so rare, I still have airport staff  jokingly telling me they didn’t think Luxembourg was a real country (It is. And yes - Luxembourgish is a real language too.)
4. This is not a serious point, but I could add a fourth citizenship to my “Lists of Countries I’ve been a Citizen of at some point”. (So far: Germany, Spain, Luxembourg.)

😆

I’ll be taking usc when the time comes and will be keeping my already dual citizenship... I know here in Aus we need to register to vote from overseas... there is also restriction on how long we can do that for whilst residing out of the country before we need to withdraw from voting (6 years)... we also get fined if fail to vote when registered, as its mandatory to Vote here.

id check any restrictions specific to Canada and or other counties relevant to those reading this thread. 

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

My husband wont be renouncing his UK citizenship. It will make it easier on him when we go visit his parents. He also wants to be able to pass his citizenship on to our kids. If we decide to move to the UK at any point (which I don't foresee, but who knows) it will make it just a bit easier on us. And if any of our kids decide they want to live abroad then they have an easier path to do so.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello! As I have been waiting for my NOA2 for my K-1 Visa I too have been thinking about this. I would like to keep my Canadian citizenship once/if I obtain US citizenship. Although, I am unsure about how this works when it comes to taxes, do you know?

Edited by dledingham

Still we rise, here and now

Timeline
18 hours ago, Cryssiekins said:

Oh wow, only 20 minutes away?! dang.

Yeah, I'm feeling the stress and on top of that a wedding to plan, I hope that time to relax comes soon Lol

Also, your doctor sounds AMAZING ❤️

Timeline
13 hours ago, Nashvan said:

I'm going to get US citizenship as I don't want to deal with USCIS for the rest of my life haha. Being able to vote is another pro. Also certain jobs like with the federal government require US citizenship, if that's something you're interested in.

Dual offers advantages for both sides along with responsibilities as others have mentioned. Personally I'm keeping mine for our future kids since I wasn't born in Canada and we want them to have an option. It also gives my husband an option to move back north with me, should we ever decide to.

Re: Canadian federal elections, you can vote as long as you remain a citizen -- your vote will count towards the riding of your last Canadian residence so you choose from the reps there. I voted by mail in early October but didn't receive any notification of receipt, not sure if that's the norm.

I'm guessing OHIP is like BC's MSP which was $37.50/month for me so that was cut off right when I left lol.

Lol that's true. Yeah I just realized I would only be eligible for OHIP if I lived in Ontario for at least 6 months out of the year. But doesn't really matter since my fiance will be adding me to his insurance.

My parents in Canada were just pushing me not to let it expire which didn't make sense to me and got me all confused because I know that once I moved I automatically forego those benefits...which I don't think they understood. BUT that's all cleared up for me thank goodness.

18 hours ago, Cryssiekins said:

Well I'm gonna summarize my understanding so far please correct me if I'm missing anything or incorrect about anything....

I actually don't need to do anything with my Canadian status since US and Canada allows for dual citizenship..

just gotta make sure I'm current with Canadian taxes up to the year I last worked..

no income in canada, no taxes to file..

when it comes to income, US/Canada has a pretty good trade agreement where I would only pay taxes in the country I receive income so theres no double taxation...

Now the only maintenance I would have to do, as I was told by my aunt who just got approved for a green card, is to not let my Canadian passport expire...which makes sense.

Edited by donjamie

Timeline
11 hours ago, leroyleviticus said:

I will apply for US citizenship but definitely keep my Luxembourg citizenship for several reasons. 

1. The more options for different places to live and work, the better. (Luxembourg is part of the EU so a ton of options there)
2. Even though I was born in Luxembourg, I got citizenship through naturalization (no birthright citizenship). I had to apply to get it. 

3. My passport is so rare, I still have airport staff  jokingly telling me they didn’t think Luxembourg was a real country (It is. And yes - Luxembourgish is a real language too.)
4. This is not a serious point, but I could add a fourth citizenship to my “Lists of Countries I’ve been a Citizen of at some point”. (So far: Germany, Spain, Luxembourg.)

Lol amazing, I did not know about most of the points you got there! You learn something new everyday!

Timeline
5 hours ago, Duke & Marie said:

I’ll be taking usc when the time comes and will be keeping my already dual citizenship... I know here in Aus we need to register to vote from overseas... there is also restriction on how long we can do that for whilst residing out of the country before we need to withdraw from voting (6 years)... we also get fined if fail to vote when registered, as its mandatory to Vote here.

id check any restrictions specific to Canada and or other counties relevant to those reading this thread. 

See, with Canada I always thought that once you move with the intent of living abroad I wouldn't be able to vote anymore but someone here actually mentioned that those laws have changed so I would still able to vote (granted that I use the last Canadian address, which is where my parents live, and register to vote obvi). As far as I know, we don't get fined if we don't vote..we just may or may not suffer the consequences of our voice not being counted Lolol

Timeline
2 hours ago, Issac said:

Hi please my name is Issac I really worried and I need your help my girlfriend lives in the state and want me to come stay with her but she doesn’t no how to go by the process please what do you think she should do?

Have her apply for the K-1 visa. It's quite a long process but it's worth it. Check out other forums where they guide and inform you about it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.