apellica

Clinics/Hospitals in Cebu similar to St. Lukes Clinic in Manila

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, apellica said:

I get that.  What we are trying to do is not substitute it for SLEC.  She can't avoid SLEC and that is perfectly fine.  We just want to know the type of results she would receive before she does it again in SLEC.

I might be overthinking things, but isn't getting denied at the interview also ends up being a waste of time and money (Plane tickets, Hotel stay, Clinic costs, Application Fees, etc...)?  If she gets denied, we have to pay most of that all over again.

I'm going to make something up for the sake of argument if you guys don't mind.  Let's say she has an interview in May 2020 and goes to SLEC during that same week.  She then gets tested for gonorrhea and it is positive.  She probably will be sent home to get it cured and then has to go back to SLEC and prove the results again causing further delays.  What we are hoping for, is if we caught it earlier (while we are in this long waiting period) we would have months to cure it and avoid any potential delays before the interview.

Tested positive for gonorrhea .. hmm.  If that happened it wouldn't be a reason for a denial  ... but if that were my situation it would give "pause"  as to WHY she has gonorrhea.    Now TB that is a different matter and there is nothing you can do at an outside clinic to remove that "surprise"

I will repeat .. you are overthinking things.   Relax.   

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
43 minutes ago, Commish10 said:

It is the place that the US embassy has contracted with probably because of its proximity, and that most people do their medical and interview within a day or 2 of each other. 

St. Luke's is one of the top rated hospitals in the Philippines, they are a Mayo Clinic affiliate.   The x-ray machines used at SLEC far except what you will find at the majority of hospitals and for sure clinics. (meeting CDC requirements is essential).

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
1 hour ago, Commish10 said:

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a few questions about SLEC.

Will I be allowed in with her and 3 yo daughter?

Her daughter has some type of minor heart condition that is monitored by a doctor monthly. Should we bring those records?

Thanks

That is a good question and I don't have an answer.  I know of many situations where a child was accompanied by a friend or family member, but the fiance of ...    ???     You will have to report back on this.

I would almost think they would try to keep mother and daughter close together.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
55 minutes ago, apellica said:

Is SLEC so advanced to compared to any other clinic in the country?  I feel like there just has to be other venues out there like St. Luke's.  It blows my mind that SLEC is so different than any other medical institute around....

Yes they are.    There are only two other hospitals that I know of that are the caliber of St. Luke's.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
27 minutes ago, Peter and Kat said:

Tuberculosis is tuberculosis, there is no grey area. Diagnostics are the same. Clinical practice guidelines are standard regardless of which country you go to. 

You are welcome to believe that if you wish

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

All, I appreciate all the comments and dialogue around this topic.  I will discuss this with my fiancee and see what she wants to do.  As others of suggested, we might just let things go and see what fate takes us.  We just hope everything works out ok.  The process is definitely taking a toll on us, even more so for her since she lives in a remote area and doesn't have the same conveniences as we do in the USA.

Thanks again!

event.png

1 hour ago, Peter and Kat said:

How far apart were the initial check up and the check up at SLEC? Was an initial xray done? The xray done at SLEC was as standard as any other xray. No special procedures were administered. She could have easily contracted it between that time period if she weren't careful enough. Tuberculosis is endemic in the Philippines that is why precautions are always necessary. 

Tuberculosis is tuberculosis, there is no grey area. Diagnostics are the same. Clinical practice guidelines are standard regardless of which country you go to. 

One week!!!!! She did not have TB, but it took 8 weeks for them to clear her, they say they saw a blur on her lung xray!!!! I beg to differ  the practices are not the same.  I am aware that TB  is common in the Philippines thus the over abundance of caution.

Edited by Sarge2155

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Timeline

My fiance just completed testing from an outside clinic and was given a certificate indicating she passed all test.  Now before all the wizards start criticizing me we just wanted some peace of mind the same as you do.  I think

it is worth the effort.  All this stuff about sputum is cause for alarm after you have spent all this time and money.

Timeline

As far as SPUTUM is concerned it all boils down to the x-ray     And an x-ray outside of SLEC isn't worth the radiation used to "take it".

Just an illusion ...

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
2 hours ago, PWB said:

My fiance just completed testing from an outside clinic and was given a certificate indicating she passed all test.  Now before all the wizards start criticizing me we just wanted some peace of mind the same as you do.  I think

it is worth the effort.  All this stuff about sputum is cause for alarm after you have spent all this time and money.

May I ask what clinic you went to and where was it located?

event.png

Timeline

apellica she went to a local clinic in Montalban which is just outside metro Manila.  Cost was very reasonable and the documentation response very quick.  I have some peace of mind knowing that she passed the sputum even those the results are not official.  I booked my ticket for the interview based on that.   This is a difficult process and I am disappointed that some of the so called experts don't have a better understanding of what couples are going through.  Best of luck to you.

Timeline
3 hours ago, PWB said:

apellica she went to a local clinic in Montalban which is just outside metro Manila.  Cost was very reasonable and the documentation response very quick.  I have some peace of mind knowing that she passed the sputum even those the results are not official.  I booked my ticket for the interview based on that.   This is a difficult process and I am disappointed that some of the so called experts don't have a better understanding of what couples are going through.  Best of luck to you.

Thank you very much and I appreciate the tip!  

event.png

19 hours ago, apellica said:

Hi all,

My fiancee and I are currently going through the K1-Visa process and one of the things we want to prepare for is the medical exam at St. Luke's Clinic.  She doesn't want any surprises and is trying to find a clinic that is equipped to do the same level of tests as St. Luke's.  My fiancee currently lives in General Santos.  The clinics/hospitals around her area are either just not properly equipped and/or won't provide her any tests without an referral.  I don't even know how difficult it is to get a referral there without having some known problem.  If you are feeling fine, some doctor's won't even waste there time. Generally, Filipinos don't have a dedicated doctor and just go the clinic/hospital when they are not feeling well.

She tried going to a local hospital and her company's insurance (MaxiCare) won't cover any of the physical exam or communicable tests.  She asked a lot of questions on what she can do and they couldn't help her or provide her some direction on how to obtain the tests, the costs, etc.  So, we are thinking she can go to Cebu (since she visits there often for family) and find a good place there that can do the tests for a fee.  In any case, she is looking into Chong Hua Hospital as an option.  Again, we just want to avoid any surprises that can cause an instant denial when she goes to the interview.  What are your thoughts?  Any advice or recommendations?  Is it expensive to get these tests done?

Tuberculosis is the only one that you really need to pay attention to. Get an xray or tests for that because as you know, it would take 6 months delays and everyday medications at st lukws for 6months! Better be treated asap. But im sure she is ok but i understand you. Tuberculosis test is the thing you need to do. In my opinion. 👌

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
18 hours ago, apellica said:

Thank you for the response.  She will try her best to find a place equipped to do that and is reputable.

go to the hospital, ask specifically for STD test, chlamydia, gonorrea...etc.

if she is positive, she will need to get cured for sure before getting the K1 visa.

STD test were also limited for my wife in Thailand, but a few asking around and it was clear what tests can be done in which hospital.

the medial is designed to filter our major illnesses before entering into the USA, as long as she is healthy overall you shouldn't worry. if there is any STD,  you clearly don't want her to carry that, right ?

and yes, out of pocket expense...think of it as part of the initial investment in your fiancee.

Edited by Zoltan K

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.