Southern_Belle07

Filing I-130 (US citizen and/or GC holder) for a child

24 posts in this topic

I can’t find the step by step process, but I am aware about filing fees and the form to submit, my question is, can someone tell me the step by step process after I-130 is approved? Child is 7 yrs old. 

Admins, if there’s a similar thread, please merge. Thank you!

It is the same for a child as for a spouse minus the I-130A.

After it is approved you upload the I-864 and other documents.

Edited by Paul & Mary

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

25 minutes ago, Southern_Belle07 said:

I can’t find the step by step process, but I am aware about filing fees and the form to submit, my question is, can someone tell me the step by step process after I-130 is approved? Child is 7 yrs old. 

Admins, if there’s a similar thread, please merge. Thank you!

Your heading says citizen or green card holder, which is it? It makes a difference.

1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

Your heading says citizen or green card holder, which is it? It makes a difference.

I wanted to know both in order to decide which is the best way to go. Need to gather all information as I am aware there will be differences hence my inquiry. 

Edited by Southern_Belle07
Addendum

1 hour ago, Southern_Belle07 said:

I wanted to know both in order to decide which is the best way to go. Need to gather all information as I am aware there will be differences hence my inquiry. 

Ok, i didn’t read the question as phrased like that. Well, the main difference is that the child of a citizen is an immediate relative, so there is a visa number immediately available and the entire process is much shorter (like 12-18 months shorter) compared to a LPR, where the petition is F2A. In both cases, the minor if having entered as LPR will automatically becomes a citizen when in the physical and legal custody of citizen parent; obviously this means though that the child of a citizen basically becomes a citizen on entry, whereas that of a LPR has to wait until the parent naturalizes. I don’t see any advantage to doing it the LPR over citizen route. If you are trying to compare, does this mean the child has a parent of each type, or does it mean the child has a LPR parent trying to figure out if she or he needs to naturalize first? (You can also file while LPR and then upgrade the petition if you naturalize while waiting.)

1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

Ok, i didn’t read the question as phrased like that. Well, the main difference is that the child of a citizen is an immediate relative, so there is a visa number immediately available and the entire process is much shorter (like 12-18 months shorter) compared to a LPR, where the petition is F2A. In both cases, the minor if having entered as LPR will automatically becomes a citizen when in the physical and legal custody of citizen parent; obviously this means though that the child of a citizen basically becomes a citizen on entry, whereas that of a LPR has to wait until the parent naturalizes. I don’t see any advantage to doing it the LPR over citizen route. If you are trying to compare, does this mean the child has a parent of each type, or does it mean the child has a LPR parent trying to figure out if she or he needs to naturalize first? (You can also file while LPR and then upgrade the petition if you naturalize while waiting.)

Wow. That I didn’t know! To answer your question, yes, I am LPR and my husband is USC. My question would be, after I-130 is approved, what’s next? Are we suppose to wait for our child to be interviewed in the local embassy, claim his visa, etc.?

1 hour ago, Southern_Belle07 said:

Wow. That I didn’t know! To answer your question, yes, I am LPR and my husband is USC. My question would be, after I-130 is approved, what’s next? Are we suppose to wait for our child to be interviewed in the local embassy, claim his visa, etc.?

The guides at top of page explain, go to the guides link and scroll down for children,

1 hour ago, Danova said:

Does this apply to adult child over 21yrs as well? 

A “child” in US immigration law is defined as an unmarried, under 21 child. Over 21 or married they become “adult sons and daughters”.  But they have to be under 18 as well to automatically gain citizenship from a parent.  The conditions are (note they must all be met simultaneously):

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-parents

Children of U.S. Citizens Residing in the United States

Children who were born outside the U.S. but now live in the U.S. may acquire citizenship under Section 320 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). A child born outside of the United States automatically becomes a U.S. citizen when all of the following conditions have been met on or after Feb. 27, 2001: 
  • The child has at least one parent, including an adoptive parent, who is a U.S. citizen by birth or through naturalization;
  • The child is under 18 years of age;
  • The child is a lawful permanent resident (LPR); and
  • The child is residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
7 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

In both cases, the minor if having entered as LPR will automatically becomes a citizen when in the physical and legal custody of citizen parent; obviously this means though that the child of a citizen basically becomes a citizen on entry, 

Does it apply to a stepchild of a U.S. citizen entering as CR-2?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
16 hours ago, Southern_Belle07 said:

What's next after USCIS approves your I-130 petition? The petition is sent to NVC (National Visa Center) for more processing where the I-864 is submitted buy the petitioner. And documents for Beneficiary are uploaded. For a 7 year old no police report will be needed. You will pay the $120 AOS fee and $325 IV fee. Once all is uploaded and DS-260 completed you will be reviewed and accepted of no issues then you are put in the Interview queue to wait to be assigned.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.