joetravelermary

Entering at POE on IR1 and then coming back to Canada

17 posts in this topic

I've heard some people have had success entering at a POE to get their visa stamped and then returning back to Canada to wrap things up before moving all of their stuff.

I'm thinking about buying a refundable or cheap airline ticket for Toronto just to go through US customs and then cancelling the flight and coming back to Canada. Has anyone done this before? Should I just drive to a land border crossing instead to do this? Cost is not a factor but time is, so I'd rather go to the nearby airport rather than drive to and from Buffalo or Queenston/Lewiston. Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

If you go through a POE and get your IV stamped you are an LPR and you have proof.  Last I heard, Pearson has US CBP pre-clearance so once you pass that you are officially in the US, so I believe it would work.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

How long after your activate your green card are you planning on actually moving?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I think you may have a few things to consider.

It's Preclearnce to board a flight to the US.  You've haven't actually entered the US, so you may have a problem.

Also, it's suspicious to check into a flight, go through preclearnce, and then miss the flight.  That may raise a red flag.  

You may want to call the Preclearnce office and check out your plan.  

1 hour ago, NikLR said:

How long after your activate your green card are you planning on actually moving?

Within 2 months

53 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Why do you want to do this? Why not just do it after you “wrap everything up” and actually move to the US? Is the visa about to expire?

I need to get SSN to start working for my employer in the USA so I want to land to get the process started.

1 hour ago, joetravelermary said:

Within 2 months

I need to get SSN to start working for my employer in the USA so I want to land to get the process started.

You can't wait 3 weeks to start working?

Just be aware of the pitfalls of not being a Canadian resident, especially with healthcare. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Also having gone through preclearance a few times, it's mostly a one way street. There are specific signs saying you cannot turn back or turn around.  Going to the land border would be a better choice than the wrath of airport security. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 11/22/2019 at 7:10 PM, NikLR said:

You can't wait 3 weeks to start working?

Just be aware of the pitfalls of not being a Canadian resident, especially with healthcare. 

So once you have the green card, you are no longer considered a Canadian resident, even you still have job/house etc in Canada? That doesn't seem to make sense.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This post reminds me of the case of a Singaporean man who bought an airplane ticket to walk his wife to the gate and was arrested.

You should double-check the rules and regulations in Canada to be safe.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
21 hours ago, don_mar said:

So once you have the green card, you are no longer considered a Canadian resident, even you still have job/house etc in Canada? That doesn't seem to make sense.

When it comes to health care the minute you activate your visa you are no longer a resident of Canada and cannot use the health care system.

Also I don't remember what they call the baby bonus now days that is gone and and the GST/HST checks. I think they changed the name up if you got either of those they are done too. 

They do come after those that still cash those checks and have cracked down on with Health care claims. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh and if you are selling your house do it before you activate your visa or expect a tax hit.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
22 hours ago, don_mar said:

It makes perfect sense.

A person can have only one primary resident.  It's either the US or Canada.  It can't be both.  Once a person activates a US green card and claims to be a US permanent resident and gains all the benefits of being a US permanent resident, then that person gives up his prior residence in Canada. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.