pcs9288

Can’t decide if I need joint sponsor because of 2018 taxes

10 posts in this topic

Hello second guessing everything now... I started work October 2018 so when I filed early this year it didn’t show I made that much money. However a year later I’m still at that job I can show paystubs,letter from employer with annual income. Even my bank statement if that helps? Will I need a cosponsor just because of my taxes? The previous year’s taxes were low too because I would go back and forth from Nicaragua and would only work a couple months. 

On 11/21/2019 at 9:41 PM, pcs9288 said:

Hello second guessing everything now... I started work October 2018 so when I filed early this year it didn’t show I made that much money. However a year later I’m still at that job I can show paystubs,letter from employer with annual income. Even my bank statement if that helps? Will I need a cosponsor just because of my taxes? The previous year’s taxes were low too because I would go back and forth from Nicaragua and would only work a couple months. 

Hi

I would definitely get a joint sponsor. Preferably someone related to you. 

11 minutes ago, pcs9288 said:

Thanks for answering. Did you have issues with it? I see like 5 months between you submitting your paperwork and an update ? 

Also I forgot to mention I make over what they have for our household and I have what they ask for saved up which is why I wasn’t sure taxes would still be a big deal 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Current income is what they care about most. If you make over the minimum requirement you should be okay, however if it just barely meets or if it is just barely over you may want to consider a joint sponsor. If you are concerned about 2018 taxes not showing enough, you can always prepare a joint sponsor just in case, but your current income is what matters most of all

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

4 minutes ago, LilyJ said:

Current income is what they care about most. If you make over the minimum requirement you should be okay, however if it just barely meets or if it is just barely over you may want to consider a joint sponsor. If you are concerned about 2018 taxes not showing enough, you can always prepare a joint sponsor just in case, but your current income is what matters most of all

Thanks lily! I know we talked about this after I posted the other day  haha but I got worried all over again 👍🏼

Well the long wait in between the day we turned everything in at NVC until my husbands interview was actually due to civil documents issue. Once that was resolved we got an interview in less than a month since getting the documentarily qualified email. The affidavit of support was accepted. I, too, had a similar problem. I moved back to the US from Nicaragua because of the civil unrest in June 2018. My IRS transcript shows income of like 22k for 2018 (I only worked half the year) even thought I meet the income requirements my lawyer said to show everything that can work in my favor financially. For example, I have health insurance through my job and I can add my husband so I sent that over. Also I have a property in Nicaragua so I have the title. I also sent employment letters and gross income year to date. Paystubs. Also my husbands severance pay from when he quit his job. Letter of recommendation for him. Basically doing everything within my power to prove he will not be a public charge. 

Does that make any sense? 

But since you didn’t even make enough for the minimum in 2018 you would definitely need a joint sponsor so just find one. I’ll make your process a lot smoother if you plan in foresight. 

24 minutes ago, mari1991 said:

Well the long wait in between the day we turned everything in at NVC until my husbands interview was actually due to civil documents issue. Once that was resolved we got an interview in less than a month since getting the documentarily qualified email. The affidavit of support was accepted. I, too, had a similar problem. I moved back to the US from Nicaragua because of the civil unrest in June 2018. My IRS transcript shows income of like 22k for 2018 (I only worked half the year) even thought I meet the income requirements my lawyer said to show everything that can work in my favor financially. For example, I have health insurance through my job and I can add my husband so I sent that over. Also I have a property in Nicaragua so I have the title. I also sent employment letters and gross income year to date. Paystubs. Also my husbands severance pay from when he quit his job. Letter of recommendation for him. Basically doing everything within my power to prove he will not be a public charge. 

Does that make any sense? 

But since you didn’t even make enough for the minimum in 2018 you would definitely need a joint sponsor so just find one. I’ll make your process a lot smoother if you plan in foresight. 

What issues did you have with civil documents? They weren’t stamped from supreme electoral council? I saw someone else with that problem can’t remember if it was you. But I’m glad to hear it took less than a month hopefully it’ll work out the same for us  

Your interviews so soon! Which doctor did you guys go to for exam? 

25 minutes ago, pcs9288 said:

What issues did you have with civil documents? They weren’t stamped from supreme electoral council? I saw someone else with that problem can’t remember if it was you. But I’m glad to hear it took less than a month hopefully it’ll work out the same for us  

Your interviews so soon! Which doctor did you guys go to for exam? 

Well first we sent the wrong marriage certificate it can’t be from city hall. It has to be from central registry. Everything has to be from central registry. Then his birth certificate got rejected twice afterwards. Once for being blurry and the second time for being sideways. 

What stage are you in right now? To answer your question about the doctor my husband went to the lady doctor she said she was nice. Entire medical exam cost about $250. 

2 minutes ago, mari1991 said:

Well first we sent the wrong marriage certificate it can’t be from city hall. It has to be from central registry. Everything has to be from central registry. Then his birth certificate got rejected twice afterwards. Once for being blurry and the second time for being sideways. 

What stage are you in right now? To answer your question about the doctor my husband went to the lady doctor she said she was nice. Entire medical exam cost about $250. 

Registro de estado civil right?I paid NVC fees about a week ago but  We’re waiting on a police record from panama (he moved there after we left bc of all the problems last year) to upload everything. It’ll probably be Friday  

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.