Zoltan K

December 2019 - AOS Filers

1,449 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Zsazsa said:

Was anyone able to receive a SSN before approval of EAD/AP/AOS

If so, tell me about it. Currently trying to prove a point to someone here and I have no basis haha 

We did.  My wife and I landed in TX in early April.  We applied for her SSN in late April.  While we were waiting for her SSN card we got married in early May.  YES, we applied for her SSN BEFORE we got married.  After we got married she received her SSN in her maiden name.  We then took our marriage certificate to the SSA office and got it changed to her married name.  NO issues, NO problems.  So, in a nutshell.  We applied for her SSN BEFORE marriage and BEFORE EAD/AP/AOS approval.

AOS Timeline (I-485, I-765, I-131)

12/28/2019:  Packages sent to USCIS via Fedex

12/30/2019:  USCIS received packages

1/08/2020:  NOA for all 3 applications

1/17/2020:  Received biometrics appt letter for the I-485 and I-765 (Code 3). 

1/31/2020:  Biometrics completed

2/20/2020:  RFE

6/15/2020:  Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview

6/15/2020:  I-765 (New Card is Being Produced)

6/30/2020:  Received Combo Card in the Mail

4/22/2021:  AOS Interview

4/26/2021:  AOS Approval

4/29/2021:  Permanent Resident Card received in the mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Jay Jones said:

We did.  My wife and I landed in TX in early April.  We applied for her SSN in late April.  While we were waiting for her SSN card we got married in early May.  YES, we applied for her SSN BEFORE we got married.  After we got married she received her SSN in her maiden name.  We then took our marriage certificate to the SSA office and got it changed to her married name.  NO issues, NO problems.  So, in a nutshell.  We applied for her SSN BEFORE marriage and BEFORE EAD/AP/AOS approval.

Jay!!!! Thank you x a million. This is exactly what I was looking for. Reallllllly appreciate your info and detail. 

awesome! 

51 minutes ago, Zsazsa said:

Was anyone able to receive a SSN before approval of EAD/AP/AOS

If so, tell me about it. Currently trying to prove a point to someone here and I have no basis haha 

Yes was very easy we even applied  before we were married. Got the card about 3 weeks later.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

46 minutes ago, skjourney said:

with my i-94, passport with K-1 entry visa, before marriage. Wasnt any issues.

Yup that's  correct! Easy peasy.....

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

48 minutes ago, Jay Jones said:

We got the card no problems but after we got married we were NOT able to change my wife's maiden name to her married name. Had to wait for EAD/GC. This was a Texas office too. Some offices will some won't change the maiden name to married  name.

Citizenship Complete!

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Sarge2155 said:

Yup that's  correct! Easy peasy.....

Thank you. The point I was trying to make was with a lady at a senators office. She was adamant that I could not get one until my I-765 was issued. She’s still not willing admit that she was wrong - but that’s ok. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Sarge2155 said:

We got the card no problems but after we got married we were NOT able to change my wife's maiden name to her married name. Had to wait for EAD/GC. This was a Texas office too. Some offices will some won't change the maiden name to married  name.

I wish I knew why some office do it and some don't.  

AOS Timeline (I-485, I-765, I-131)

12/28/2019:  Packages sent to USCIS via Fedex

12/30/2019:  USCIS received packages

1/08/2020:  NOA for all 3 applications

1/17/2020:  Received biometrics appt letter for the I-485 and I-765 (Code 3). 

1/31/2020:  Biometrics completed

2/20/2020:  RFE

6/15/2020:  Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview

6/15/2020:  I-765 (New Card is Being Produced)

6/30/2020:  Received Combo Card in the Mail

4/22/2021:  AOS Interview

4/26/2021:  AOS Approval

4/29/2021:  Permanent Resident Card received in the mail

8 minutes ago, Jay Jones said:

I wish I knew why some office do it and some don't.  

Simple...the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing!!!

Citizenship Complete!

17 minutes ago, Zsazsa said:

Thank you. The point I was trying to make was with a lady at a senators office. She was adamant that I could not get one until my I-765 was issued. She’s still not willing admit that she was wrong - but that’s ok. 

Sounds like she has a problem!!!!

Citizenship Complete!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Sarge2155 said:

Sounds like she has a problem!!!!

CORRECTION: Sounds like I have a problem 😞

It really is not worth getting my blood pressure up over it. Wouldn’t grant me authorization to work or anything and that is all I am after at the moment. 

Edited by Zsazsa
Spelling

1 minute ago, Zsazsa said:

CORRECTION: Sounds like I have a problem 😞

It really is not worth getting my blood pressure up over it. Wouldn’t grant me authorization to work or anything and that is all I am after at the moment. 

How do you have the problem she does not work at the SSA office nor does she issue them. Am I missing  something?

Citizenship Complete!

Timeline
Just now, Sarge2155 said:

How do you have the problem she does not work at the SSA office nor does she issue them. Am I missing  something?

No. Not missing anything. But the problem is, I’m not getting an SSN. And I’m confident that stating my point and proving her wrong over and over will not get me anywhere. All I really wanted it for was so that my husband could claim us on his taxes and I could finally get my RI Drivers License. 

SSN office won’t issue me one either as they said they can see my application in the system and now that it is in there they won’t issue me one as then I’d have 2 issued to me. So, I’ll have to wait for my approvals to come through. 

11 minutes ago, Zsazsa said:

No. Not missing anything. But the problem is, I’m not getting an SSN. And I’m confident that stating my point and proving her wrong over and over will not get me anywhere. All I really wanted it for was so that my husband could claim us on his taxes and I could finally get my RI Drivers License. 

SSN office won’t issue me one either as they said they can see my application in the system and now that it is in there they won’t issue me one as then I’d have 2 issued to me. So, I’ll have to wait for my approvals to come through. 

Ahhh I see yes, if you'd  have went shortly after arrival it would have been a snap. Yes unfortunately you'll have to wait now. Hopefully it will come shortly after EAD.

Citizenship Complete!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
21 hours ago, Zsazsa said:

I had a similar issue. Applied for social security card shorty after arriving (before marriage), spent one hour trying to convince them I was eligible for it with K1. Did not hear back from them for 3 weeks. After Thanksgiving went back to the office to find out I had the number assigned and the card had been mailed to me. However, I never got it. The clerk who was processing my paperwork had the address wrong - one word was missing from the name of the street -  (I pointed that out to him when I was going through the form and he told me it was all ok and that address was in the system).

After my husband and I got married, I went back to the office and requested a replacement card. They would not change my name on it without EAD/GC, but at that point I was ok with getting whatever they could give me. 

The SSA started manual verification again, even thought I already had the number. I was very close to not getting anything at all.

I applied on October 30 first time and eventually got my card mid-January, which meant no local driver's licence because my K1 was about to expire. 

It was painful. 

I have not been able to drive here for 5 months already. 

Good luck to you. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Phil&Marina said:

I had a similar issue. Applied for social security card shorty after arriving (before marriage), spent one hour trying to convince them I was eligible for it with K1. Did not hear back from them for 3 weeks. After Thanksgiving went back to the office to find out I had the number assigned and the card had been mailed to me. However, I never got it. The clerk who was processing my paperwork had the address wrong - one word was missing from the name of the street -  (I pointed that out to him when I was going through the form and he told me it was all ok and that address was in the system).

After my husband and I got married, I went back to the office and requested a replacement card. They would not change my name on it without EAD/GC, but at that point I was ok with getting whatever they could give me. 

The SSA started manual verification again, even thought I already had the number. I was very close to not getting anything at all.

I applied on October 30 first time and eventually got my card mid-January, which meant no local driver's licence because my K1 was about to expire. 

It was painful. 

I have not been able to drive here for 5 months already. 

Good luck to you. 

Thank you for sharing. Wish I had known sooner. Ugh. Are you all set with your EAD/GC now? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.