EllisAndRenz

When do the feds update the last name in the database?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife came here on a K-1 visa.  After we got married I did the needful and applied for AoS, EAS and AP.  None of yet finished processing.

However: All of the documentation from the Federal Government has her married last name on it.  (Not her maiden name) 

Today we went to renew her state ID (Florida).  (That's a major pain in the butt by the way, but that's another story)

Even though all of the documents (NOA1, etc) from the USCIS contain her married last name, when the local authorities queried the Federal Database, it still shows her maiden name.  Thus, they had to issue the ID in her maiden name.  She has no ID with her married name.  We can't update her Social Security card without this.

Anyone have any idea when the Feds update their system?

(This is minor in comparison to the length of time it takes for EAS and AP, but ... it's an issue non-the-less)

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

42 minutes ago, EllisAndRenz said:

My wife came here on a K-1 visa.  After we got married I did the needful and applied for AoS, EAS and AP.  None of yet finished processing.

However: All of the documentation from the Federal Government has her married last name on it.  (Not her maiden name) 

Today we went to renew her state ID (Florida).  (That's a major pain in the butt by the way, but that's another story)

Even though all of the documents (NOA1, etc) from the USCIS contain her married last name, when the local authorities queried the Federal Database, it still shows her maiden name.  Thus, they had to issue the ID in her maiden name.  She has no ID with her married name.  We can't update her Social Security card without this.

Anyone have any idea when the Feds update their system?

(This is minor in comparison to the length of time it takes for EAS and AP, but ... it's an issue non-the-less)

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

We used the marriage certificate to change my wife's name to her married name in the SSA. You should be able to get her DL in the married name once she gets her EAD.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

We used the marriage certificate to change my wife's name to her married name in the SSA. You should be able to get her DL in the married name once she gets her EAD.

Sadly, the SSN won't take our marriage certificate.  They also require the immigration database to be updated.  (At least according to the two people I spoke to)

Hopefully when the EAD comes through.  (Filed on July 1, still waiting)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.