homesick_american

Fear of flying, take two

35 posts in this topic

I have a flying phobia - I know it is not irrational since it only really came to a head when I was supposed to be on Pan Am flight 103 and changed the date to spend Christmas in Scotland. Since then, I often feel that every time I got on a plane I was living the last few hours of my life.

I was determined to overcome it - not only do I love to travel but my job also requires it.

Hypnotherapy helped tremendously - I also will meditate for about an hour before getting on the plane - and I'm afraid to say I g & ts helped me take the edge off.

I finally got to a point where I was okay to fly - but some things will exacerbate it, and most certainly the most afraid I've been to fly since has been when I moved to the UK and then moved back to the US - I am going to take a wild stab in the dark and suggest your current terror is may be compounded by the upheaval that lies ahead in your life. No matter how much you want it (and some times it's scary to get what you want) you have a lot to take on in coming months. My move back to the US sent me into a tailspin about the flight (which was scheduled on Sep 11, which didn't help - only one I could get) and I had to get hypnotized to get on the flight, which was not something I had to do in 5 years prior. I'm sure at the root of it was the fear of change, especially as I have been fine on every flight since.

90day.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
I have a flying phobia - I know it is not irrational since it only really came to a head when I was supposed to be on Pan Am flight 103 and changed the date to spend Christmas in Scotland. Since then, I often feel that every time I got on a plane I was living the last few hours of my life.

I was determined to overcome it - not only do I love to travel but my job also requires it.

Hypnotherapy helped tremendously - I also will meditate for about an hour before getting on the plane - and I'm afraid to say I g & ts helped me take the edge off.

I finally got to a point where I was okay to fly - but some things will exacerbate it, and most certainly the most afraid I've been to fly since has been when I moved to the UK and then moved back to the US - I am going to take a wild stab in the dark and suggest your current terror is may be compounded by the upheaval that lies ahead in your life. No matter how much you want it (and some times it's scary to get what you want) you have a lot to take on in coming months. My move back to the US sent me into a tailspin about the flight (which was scheduled on Sep 11, which didn't help - only one I could get) and I had to get hypnotized to get on the flight, which was not something I had to do in 5 years prior. I'm sure at the root of it was the fear of change, especially as I have been fine on every flight since.

The changes ahead are definitely stressful but I've been wanting to do this for years. I'm nervous because things have changed a lot since I left (pre 9/11) but I'm really looking forward to starting a new life back in the USA with my husband.

I can totally understand your fear; in your shoes I'd feel exactly the same way. :( The thing that upsets me is I used to really enjoy flying, then all of a sudden one day I was terrified of it. It SUCKS!

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I haven't read this whole thread yet - but I'll echo what I said in you last one. I agree with you: booze isn't the answer. And sleeping pills don't aid the anxiety. Anti-anxiety medication, will. I don't know much (anything) about the UK medical system, but I think you need to beat the bushes to find someone to prescribe you some xanax or lorazepam (Ativan, etc). it really does help tremendously. Don't self-medicate and monkey around with valium and whatnot. And you shouldn't mix things without speaking to a doc either - for instance, an ativan is the equivalent of a drink, it can be combined with some other meds, but not too much booze. there's a lot you'll need to get, info wise, from a doctor or medical professional.

As for the noises and what not, I know how you feel with that too. I hate switching between airlines because the equipment makes such different sounds. I dislike Airbus, for example, because I find them FAR louder than Boeing equipment. Learning the sounds can help you control your fear a bit. It helps me sometimes. Flaps out, flaps in, testing the stabilizer, gear goes up, etc etc, the plane always gets quieter when it gets done with the initial take-off. All those sounds can be scary - but they are normal.

Also, I always try to sit toward the front of the plane, as close to where the flight attendants sit as possible. When I'm having a bad panic moment, I try to look at their faces. I figure they will react if a sound is abnormal. I know they would be trained to react professionally, but realistically, if they continue to read their magazines without blinking or making eye contact with each other, I have to figure things are going okay. And sometimes I ask them "so, that noise was just x, right? sorry, nervous flyer." I have yet to find an unsympathetic flight attendant.

It sounds like you're very aware of your level of fear. I would strongly suggest you do your best to find a way to get a prescription for an anti-anxiety medication. I've never heard of this "oooh they are addictive!" fear over here. The doctor won't give you a giant bottle. He/she can give you two, or however many you actually need. I was given 5. That's it. Just 5 pills. Doctors know how to determine if a person is just hunting drugs to feed a habit.

Good luck. You'll get back here somehow - no matter how unpleasant the process is, you're going to have to face it, and you know you'll get through it.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

I hate flying too -- but it's odd -- I prefer take-offs and landings (especially landings, since it means I'm nearly there!).

I prefer flying in the big 747s than the smaller 737s (I guess big planes handle turbulence better).

I do hate hate HATE turbulence, because I hate the sensation of falling (hate rollercoasters too). I know intellectually that even a steep drop in a plane is probably just a few feet, but man oh man!

Pilots are getting better about telling you what to expect -- on my return flight from Maui, the pilot announced (before we even got on the plane) that it was going to get a bit choppy about two hours into the flight. And when I flew back from Seattle just this past Wednesday, the pilot told us that we were running into some turbulence for about 10 or 15 minutes. It wasn't fun (it wasn't that bad, either), but knowing there was a limit was very helpful.

I also know that when I fly from the Bay Area into SoCal, it's going to be a bit bumpy on the descent, since we're flying over the mountains.

When I fly, I give myself 15 -20 minutes to be really, really nervous. After that, I can relax. i also think of the episode in "Cheers" where Dr. Crane explains Clear Air Turbulence ("CAT") and when the plane gets a bit bumpy, everyone starts meowing madly!

Not that any of this is helpful to you, but I do feel for you. The day they invent the Star-Trek Transporter won't be a day too soon for me!

AOS:

02/29/2008 - Wedding Day!

03/29/2008 - Mailed AOS packet to Chicago registered mail

04/04/2008 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

04-10-2008 - Check cashed!

04-12-2008 - NOA1s arrive for AP & AOS

04-18-2008 - Biometrics appt letter arrives

04-29-2008 - Biometrics appointment!

04-30-2008 - AOS status shows up online

05-16-2008 - AP status shows up online - both AP & AOS are touched!

06-05-2008 - AP touched and email sent saying AP has been approved

06-12-2008 - AP arrives in the mail

07-10-2008 - Interview letter arrives - interview scheduled for 09/05/08

09-05-2008 - Interview in SF (don't bring your cellphone!) -- approved! Email sent saying card has been ordered!

09-13-2008 - Welcome to the United States letter arrives

09-15-2008 - Green card arrives in the mail! YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY

I don't like all the unexplained engine noises; I know that if the sounds increase or decrease during the cruise it means that we're probably changing altitude but nobody tells me anything so I get nervous...I don't like landings either because of all the noise and the constant tweaking of engine speed and control surfaces...I'm hyperaware when I'm flying and every sound, sensation, or smell makes me think that something has gone terribly wrong.

Duuno - this may be a ridiculous suggestion. Thankfully, I don't have any trouble with this. Have you tried the noise canceling headphones? Bose has some really snazzy ones. Maybe not hearing would be worse than hearing, but if it IS the noises - you could make those go away.

As it was, as we were taking off I had a pillow over my face and I was screaming into it that we were all going to die. The other passengers were less than enthusiastic about my presence.

Oh bless. Shouldn't be funny, but I just got a mental image on that one.

Well...when the nightmare is over with, you'll be in Good Ol' TEXAS! It's hot as hell already and will be worse by then, but hey - won't have to worry about anything getting rained out during the summer. No rain from June to August, remember. :P

You're moving to Dallas area, right? EDIT: of course you are - just read your siggie!

Edited by Dan&Tiffany

Our Visa Journey

2/13 - I-129F sent to TSC

7/31 - K1 - APPROVED

8/5 - POE @ Dallas/Ft. Worth

8/11 - Wedding!!

10/15 - received Greencard

Got 10-year Greencard

If your fear of flying is actually a fear of death, then perhaps you should read this:

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/toptens/acc...identsfull.html

Guess what: Air travel isn't in the top ten ways to die accidentally in the USA. I'm sure you've been told this many times before, but you're really safer sitting in an airplane than you are in your house right now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

don't look now but there's something......out there.......on the wing!

PubTThou01.jpg

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

PubTThou01.jpg

go on make things worse why dont ya.....lol lol

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

PubTThou01.jpg

What a weird place to put an insurance advert.

'But can I save a lot of money by switching to Geico? Just how easy is it? '

Life long Texan, living in Hull, UK. How did this happen?

11 January - We met online and became friends

4 February - Became a couple

17 March - I went to Hull to meet the guy

20 March - First "I love you"

25 March - I go home :(

16 November - He comes to visit me in Texas

25 November - he leaves back home :(

14 December - ENGAGED! <3

1 March- I fly off to see my babe in Hull

4 April - I go home :(

9 October - He comes back to Texas!!!!

13 October - WEDDING!!!

22 October - He goes back to England and I continue to wait for my settlement visa.

13 December 2007 - Move to England

Now the wait begins, I will become a citizen then we will DFC back to the US.

the-british-are-comming-small.jpg965-smaller.jpg

Our slide show .......... Our page on TheKnot.com

.png

Timeline

Not sure if this will help... I am a very very nervous flyer... Russ being in america caused a big problem hehe. Anyway I found out flying alone was easier then flying with someone, I get very scraed, crying etc when im with someone but if im alone, I kind of close my eyes and think of england!

Before i moved here I flew over several times alone, and each time got easier.

Good Luck... I know whats its like :thumbs:

K1

08-14-2006 Sent I-129F sent

09-11-2006 NOA1 Received

11-09-2006 RFE Issued

11-17-2006 RFE Arrives via Snail mail

11-27-2006 RFE Returned to visa land

01-09-2007 NOA2!!!!!!!

01-29-2007 Packet 3 Recieved

02-05-2007 Packet 3 sent to embassy

02-13-2007 Medical booked for March 12th

02-15-2007 INTERVIEW MARCH 13th

03-12-2007 medical... easy peasy!

03-13-2007 Interview.... I passed!!

03-20-2007 VISA IN HAND!

03-22-2007 FLY HOME!

04-04-07 Filled for SS #

04-05-2007 Wedding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

04-10-2007 Marrige Cert arrived in post!

AOS

04-12-2007 Sent off

04-14-2007 Arrived in Chicago

04-23-2007 NOA1

04-23-2007 Cheque cashed

04-30-2007 Biometrics appointment May 10th

05-10-2007 Biometrics appointment.. quick and easy

05-17-2007 Moved to CSC

06-01-2007 Recieved at CSC

06-03-2007 Touched

06-04-2007 Touched

06-05-2007 Touched

06-06-2007 Touched.... waaaaaa Is this good or bad???

06-19-2007 WELCOME LETTER EMAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!

06-20-2007 Touched

06-24-2007 Touched

06-25-2007 GREEN CARD in HAND!!!!!!!!

EAD

04-12-2007 Sent off

04-23-2007 NOA1

04-23-2007 Cheque cashed

04-30-2007 Biometrics appointment May 10th

05-10-2007 Biometrics appointment.. quick and easy

06-27-2007 Card Ordered

AP

04-12-2007 Sent off

04-23-2007 NOA1

04-23-2007 Cheque cashed

06-27-2007 Aprroved... after green card!

1.png

Duuno - this may be a ridiculous suggestion. Thankfully, I don't have any trouble with this. Have you tried the noise canceling headphones? Bose has some really snazzy ones. Maybe not hearing would be worse than hearing, but if it IS the noises - you could make those go away.

this is an excellent suggestion - I have a pair and they are worth every penny of the $300 they cost. They won't get rid of everything, but they do help.

90day.jpg

Timeline
Update: My GP wrote me a prescription for 16 1mg tablets of Ativan...or however you spell it. Let's see if it actually works!

Excellent! I hope it helps.

Did he recomend you use it just on the plane or in the days leading up to it? I have a friend with a similar fear and she starts dosing a few days before had to quell the fears in the run up to the flight. I take one just when I'm on the plane.

In case it comes up - for anyone concerned about the mix of booze and pills, etc - my doctor friend says to think of Ativan as the equivalent of one drink. So don't push your limit! She also told me that it is safe to combine one ativan with one ambien - but anyone should, of course, always consult with his/her own physician before playing around with medication!!!!! Body types and personal medical issues can alter the ways drugs take effect, of course.

With the ativan, I didn't feel too loopy and wondered if it was even working. Though it must because I know on at least two flights the captain came on to apologize for the turbulence and I *wasn't* crying or panicking. So something was working!

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Update: My GP wrote me a prescription for 16 1mg tablets of Ativan...or however you spell it. Let's see if it actually works!

Excellent news. I hope that it helps you to, at least, take the edge off of things.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.