rickyp96

Can I get another tourist visa?

3 posts in this topic

Timeline

I'm Mexican. In 2016 I was hired to work in a 4 day summer camp in CA for $400 in cash ($100 per day). The lady who hired me, however, didn't tell me to apply for a work visa, and I was unaware of the law back then (I was 20 years old). When I arrived I was honest to the immigration officer and told him I was there to work for 4 days for $400 USD. He said that wasn't allowed on my visa, but I think he trusted that it was an honest mistake and allowed me to withdraw my application for admission instead of removing me. He cancelled my visa and wrote 22 CFR 41.122(e)3 on it, but he said I could apply for a new one when I wanted. Apparently, no waiver is needed. I used to legally study at CU Boulder under an F-1 visa before the incident, but I didn't like it that much and decided to come back home to Mexico after one year (I'm currently a 23 year old college student in Mexico City). 

I applied for a Canadian eTA back in 2017 and in the application I was asked if I had ever been denied entry to another country. I explained what happened to me in the US in detail and I was granted the eTA either way. Canada wasn't alarmed by this. I went to Canada in 2018 and entered without a problem. I have also been granted chinese, vietnamese, and thai visas after the incident and entered those countries without a problem. I have also travelled to Costa Rica, Singapore, Hong Kong, Morocco, Peru, Japan and many different countries in the European Union after my incident in the US and I have never been asked about my immigration issue in the USA. I should also mention that I'm becoming a Portuguese and Spanish citizen soon... 

Is it likely the US will grant me another tourist visa? I like to travel, so I suppose it's clear that I will not be staying to work in the US illegally. In fact... I was living there legally and decided to leave.

Could another nationality possibly help my case? In the end, if I wanted to leave Mexico and work in another country, I could do that legally.

IF I am granted the visa, will I always be sent to secondary inspection when I step foot in the country from that moment on? 

Thanks in advance!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

No one can tell you if the US will grant you another visitor visa.  You will have to apply to find out.

Your travels are not relevant.  Doesn't matter what visas you got and where you've been.  

Getting another nationality will not help your case.  It doesn't change who you are and the fact that you were denied entry to the US for intent to illegally work.  

No one can tell you if you will always be sent to secondary inspection if you are granted another visa.  

You really have to just apply and find out.  

On 11/18/2019 at 7:15 AM, rickyp96 said:

I should also mention that I'm becoming a Portuguese and Spanish citizen soon... 

After receiving one of those citizenships submit an ESTA: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/ Remember to answer "Yes" to the following question: "Have you ever been denied a U.S. visa you applied for with your current or previous passport, or have you ever been refused admission to the United States or withdrawn your application for admission at a U.S. port of entry?" An approved ESTA is $14 USD. If the ESTA is denied, you are only charged $4 USD for the processing of the application.

Edited by HRQX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.