28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Villanelle said:

He is correct that most petitions with a beneficiary in the PI only have one meeting-

I supposed that could be true, but it would still surprise me. But that's not what he said. He said most K-1 fiance petitioners (not limited to the Philippines) have only met the fiance once. I simply cannot believe that is true, though admittedly I haven't seen statistics on that. 

Marrying a person you've only met once may be permitted by law but it has to be the exception.

6 minutes ago, jaysaldi said:

I supposed that could be true, but it would still surprise me.

I can't say precisely how common it is, but it is not a red flag with PI at the very least...it's not even uncommon.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
3 hours ago, jaysaldi said:

I don't know why you would say that "most" Americans who petition for K-1 fiancees have only met them once and don't have the "luxury" of meeting them twice. Requesting to marry another person after meeting only one time is the exception, not the rule.  It may meet the technical bare minimum in person meeting requirement under US law,  but it causes the entire petition to be scrutinized much more closely than that of a couple who has spent a lot of time together.

Call me old fashioned but I would like to spend time with a person for more than 1x before I decide I want to marry/spend the rest of my life with them.

OP- be glad you received an RFE and not a denial/rejection of the petition- they are now allowed to to do that without submitting an RFE. Is your letter of intent with an updated date? That may help a bit as well. Good luck on your journey.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
6 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

Her country is not a HIGH FRAUD embassy so it's not necessary for more then one meeting. Yes, two or more meetings does lend more credence on a relationship but most who are applying do not have the luxury. So since the requirements are one meeting within two years prior, they met the requirement. Their problem is the lack of evidence of an ongoing relationship. What USCIS is asking seems to be something that a "newbie" agent would ask for as the OP has supplied what was necessary and what most have supplied and received an approval on. Just my opinion.

2 hours ago, Villanelle said:

Greenbaum is incredibly knowledgeable about PI specific immigration matters. He is correct that most petitions with a beneficiary in the PI only have one meeting- almost always the USC going there; PI also has one of the highest rates of K1 approvals if not the highest- so its not an issue there. 

I have to agree with Greenbaum and Villanelle their comments come from experience on these forums.  The assumptions made about low-fraud countries is born out if you just look at some recent K1 visa approvals and the home countries of the beneficiaries. Other low-fraud countries would likely include EU countries and Canada, there are certainly others.

It is fortunate for those low-fraud countries that often one face-to-face meeting (other than Skype, etc.) and have few problems with visa approval. I have to say that with a modicum of envy. In contrast, my wife and stepson came from a high-fraud country. Additionally, at the time of our courtship the availability of US visitor visas for single Chinese females was quite limited, likely as scarce as hen's teeth.  So, the issue of front-loading the visa petition was a given, as was the need for several visits. Fortunately, my professional workload at that time permitted me some flexibility to travel to China. Though the eleven-hour Seattle to Beijing flight was a bit grueling... Eventually, I made three trips to China, including the last one that enabled me to bring documents and to provide moral support for my future family at their visa interview in Guangzhou. Due to space constraints, US petitioners are not allowed to attend the actual interview. In the previous trips we met up in Beijing, then we would travel to other parts of that huge country, we were able to enjoy some sights, sounds, and ancient culture off of the beaten path.

I would recommend that if you can visit your fiancee more than once, do it. But, the K1 visa requirements only stipulate that one visit is sufficient.  Good luck with your RFE.

YMMV. 

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
16 hours ago, AlaMike said:

Well, 

Just got the dreaded RFE on my K1. I thought I had loaded my 129f application well and I included signed letters of intent, pictures, flight info, hotel info and everything else requested. 

They are now wanting, "More evidence of the bona fide nature of your and the beneficiary's intent to marry within 90 days". They also want evidence of wedding preparation? Just how can you plan for something you don't even have an approval for??

Luckily, I just returned from a 2 week trip for visit my fiance for the second time. I will send them what they asked for...again. 

My question is: They sent a small envelope to return the information, which of coarse id too small. Can I send in a larger envelope and would I send it registered with return receipt?

I’m sorry you guys got the RFE, but trust me, it will be okay, as long as you follow their instructions and give EXACTLY what they asked for. We got an RFE too, had to go back to CFO 4 times before I got my certification, but all went well.. we are married now and in the process of assembling our AOS packet.. just hang in there 😊

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
16 hours ago, AlaMike said:

Well, 

Just got the dreaded RFE on my K1. I thought I had loaded my 129f application well and I included signed letters of intent, pictures, flight info, hotel info and everything else requested. 

They are now wanting, "More evidence of the bona fide nature of your and the beneficiary's intent to marry within 90 days". They also want evidence of wedding preparation? Just how can you plan for something you don't even have an approval for??

Luckily, I just returned from a 2 week trip for visit my fiance for the second time. I will send them what they asked for...again. 

My question is: They sent a small envelope to return the information, which of coarse id too small. Can I send in a larger envelope and would I send it registered with return receipt?

There seems to be some new adjudicators at USCIS as you are not the first (lately) that has been asked for more evidence of intent to marry.     Not sure if they don't understand the I-129F process or are enjoying their new found "power".

But as the saying goes .. those that have the gold make the rules.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
17 hours ago, AlaMike said:

Well, 

Did you include an engagement ring receipt if you have one? That’s good evidence. 

3 hours ago, FreyandRyan said:

Did you include an engagement ring receipt if you have one? That’s good evidence. 

Not really.  Rings can be returned.  

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

Not really.  Rings can be returned.  

Or pawned...B-)

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

I included everything requested as well as photos from her Facebook page where see is telling everyone about the engagement, including pictures of the ring.

I could not think of anything else to include; or I would have.

Timeline
23 hours ago, AlaMike said:

Well, 

How long did it take to receive the RFE? Was this your NOA2? I just sent my petition package the other day, I also have only one in-person meeting from this summer and I am planning to go back to the Philippines next month. I am also worried about getting an RFE, as it will be hard to get the evidence if I am still in the Philippines.

Keep us updated, good luck. 👍

12 minutes ago, Jfresh26 said:

How long did it take to receive the RFE? Was this your NOA2? I just sent my petition package the other day, I also have only one in-person meeting from this summer and I am planning to go back to the Philippines next month. I am also worried about getting an RFE, as it will be hard to get the evidence if I am still in the Philippines.

Keep us updated, good luck. 👍

You have awhile to wait before your petition is even looked at.  RFEs generally come when it is your turn in the queue.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.