Mrs Ryan Carreras

K1- The Dreaded Social Security Number

47 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I knew that we would dread getting the SS number for Ryan on a K1.  
If anyone has any advice on what to do than I am all ears. 
I followed what others have done on VJ with printing out that he can obtain a ss number.
We went rather quickly after he arrived. 
The agent acted as if it would be issued by that Friday and now we sit .. waiting not knowing. 
He entered on K1 on October 23

We applied for his number on the 29th. 
The “Save” data base gives us a verification number and sent back to Maryland. 
The local office gave us a paper and sent us home that gives us their number and reference number to contact us for specifics and than the general number to ss office. 
We have called the general number- they can not give us details since he doesn’t have a ss number 

We have called local and got the same response 

We have called Save and they could not find him but by passport number. 
An inquiry showed 

application was taken on 10/29/2019. It is currently still pending with the Department of Homeland Security for approval. No social security number has been issued at this time. We will send Mr. ___ a letter whenever a decision is made."

We were married Friday but since he isn’t changing his last name this shouldn’t matter. 
Also, the ss Agent checked “can not work” when doing Ryan’s ss number. 
He was pretty clueless and acted as if it would be issued and wonder now if he was just trying to get us finished and move to the next person in line. 
Anyhow, on Friday, we will be venturing out again to attempt this. 
Should we just reapply and/or follow up with the same social security office ? 
Or visit a new one and resubmit since the agent checked the wrong box anyhow ? 
One thing I am clear is that I wish we had found  VJ prior to submitting our application as We’d have done the CR1. 
The not “being able to work” isn’t an issue since we have a newborn and he watches her so she is not in daycare until she’s one years old. 
Other than that, the AOS paperwork is just crazy and trying to get everything done in 90 days is like a race to the finish line. 
Either way any advice on what others would do is welcome. 
Pretty Frustrated as we will submit AOS soon and want the Social Security number resolved quickly which seems to be an uphill battle. 
Thanks in advance and for letting me rant. 

37 minutes ago, Sarah n Ryan said:

I followed what others have done on VJ with printing out that he can obtain a ss number.
The agent acted as if it would be issued by that Friday and now we sit .. waiting not knowing. 
He entered on K1 on October 23

We applied for his number on the 29th. 
The “Save” data base gives us a verification number and sent back to Maryland. 
The local office gave us a paper and sent us home that gives us their number and reference number to contact us for specifics and than the general number to ss office. 
We have called the general number- they can not give us details since he doesn’t have a ss number 

We have called local and got the same response 

We have called Save and they could not find him but by passport number. 
An inquiry showed 

application was taken on 10/29/2019. It is currently still pending with the Department of Homeland Security for approval. No social security number has been issued at this time. We will send Mr. ___ a letter whenever a decision is made."

We were married Friday but since he isn’t changing his last name this shouldn’t matter. 
He was pretty clueless and acted as if it would be issued and wonder now if he was just trying to get us finished and move to the next person in line. 
Anyhow, on Friday, we will be venturing out again to attempt this. 
Or visit a new one and resubmit since the agent checked the wrong box anyhow ? 
One thing I am clear is that I wish we had found  VJ prior to submitting our application as We’d have done the CR1. 
The not “being able to work” isn’t an issue since we have a newborn and he watches her so she is not in daycare until she’s one years old. 
Other than that, the AOS paperwork is just crazy and trying to get everything done in 90 days is like a race to the finish line. 
Either way any advice on what others would do is welcome. 
Pretty Frustrated as we will submit AOS soon and want the Social Security number resolved quickly which seems to be an uphill battle. 
Thanks in advance and for letting me rant. 

It takes awhile took me 5 weeks to get the SSN I would give it 4 to 5 weeks minimum  it is not a quick process for some people. Dont wait on the SSN to file ur AOS if ur ready file it now.

Edited by Sarge2155

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Sarge2155 said:

It takes awhile took me 5 weeks to get the SSN I would give it 4 to 5 weeks minimum  it is not a quick process for some people. Dont wait on the SSN to file ur AOS if ur ready file it now.

We will wait for now than. 
So hurry up and wait game. 

The agent acted as if it would be issued by that Friday. 😂😂😂

I was thinking “wishful thinking” and “yeah right” based on what I’ve read here. 

much appreciated. 😊 and hope all is well with you @Sarge2155. You’ve always been very helpful from petition and even now. 
You give others a reason to smile on this journey and I thank you 🙏

53 minutes ago, Sarah n Ryan said:

Sometimes SS#'s take longer than anticipated. You can follow up weekly to keep informed.

54 minutes ago, Sarah n Ryan said:

Well, to be honest, it is not the agent's fault. Most people assume that agents at DMV's and SS offices know how to handle immigrant cases. The truth is compared to the amount normal US citizens come into those places, immigrants are a small percentage. You have to remember that when dealing with them because they probably don't deal with immigration cases enough to understand the process.

22 minutes ago, Sarge2155 said:

Absolutely not. There is no need to reapply. It is recorded that they received your first application. filing another will only complicate things

1 hour ago, Sarah n Ryan said:

You don't have to get the AOS done in 90 days. You were only obligated to get married within 90 days. You can file the AOS after the 90 days and he will be relatively safe.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

40 minutes ago, Sarah n Ryan said:

We will wait for now than. 
So hurry up and wait game. 

The agent acted as if it would be issued by that Friday. 😂😂😂

I was thinking “wishful thinking” and “yeah right” based on what I’ve read here. 

much appreciated. 😊 and hope all is well with you @Sarge2155. You’ve always been very helpful from petition and even now. 
You give others a reason to smile on this journey and I thank you 🙏

Thank you for the kind words, it's  been a struggle, but all we can do is wait.

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

46 minutes ago, Unlockable said:
1 hour ago, Sarge2155 said:

I did not say that!

Citizenship Complete!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Why are you stressing out about this, it will likely take a few weeks to get the SSN. You don't need it to file for AOS, everything else can wait a few weeks until you receive the SSN. I don't see a reason to get stressed about this?

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

2 minutes ago, Sarge2155 said:

I did not say that!

Yeah, sorry about that Sarge. I quoted the OP's quote that was in your post. Hope that makes sense. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Sarge2155 said:
51 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

I did not say that!

I think when I quoted you, I typed in it. 
my apologies. 
My mistake. Thanks 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Scandi said:

Why are you stressing out about this, it will likely take a few weeks to get the SSN. You don't need it to file for AOS, everything else can wait a few weeks until you receive the SSN. I don't see a reason to get stressed about this?

Not stressing at all. 
It’s a K1 and expected to say the least.  
Just wondering if we should do anything or what the next steps would be. 
But thanks for your input 😊

Timeline
55 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

Absolutely not. There is no need to reapply. It is recorded that they received your first application. filing another will only complicate things

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. 
We won’t be reapplying than and will just wait it out as it appears it takes weeks sometimes to actually have it issued from what I’m reading. 
The officer was just a bit misleading when we went in and he confused me on what to expect.  

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

Yeah, sorry about that Sarge. I quoted the OP's quote that was in your post. Hope that makes sense.

Yes. This was my fault you two. Sorry about that. 
I put my cursor in the wrong spot and typed. 

12 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

10 minutes ago, Sarah n Ryan said:

I think when I quoted you, I typed in it. 
my apologies. 
My mistake. Thanks 

It's  quite alright 😉

Citizenship Complete!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Congratulations on your marriage, Sarah! I read your love story you posted, very romantic. What a beautiful family you created.. I wish you all much happiness!

Timeline
9 minutes ago, portorusa said:

Congratulations on your marriage, Sarah! I read your love story you posted, very romantic. What a beautiful family you created.. I wish you all much happiness!

Thank You so much. Yes, I find it perfect but then again, I may be a tad biased. 
I see that you two are well on your way to being united as well. 
All the best of love and happiness throughout this journey and beyond. 
I have now had my morning coffee so hoping I quoted appropriately this time 😂😂.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.