Boiler

Hillary Clinton 'wants to hug Meghan over racist treatment'

74 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Hard to find a good sausage, not sure why.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

He will not allow me to make Yorkshires, he *has* to do it exactly as his momma says it must be done and apparently I fret too much about burning them. I did Toad in the Hole though, proud of myself for that one, though the sausages were ridiculously difficult to come by.

I feels ya about the sausages. There's a place down in Santa Monica I go to that sells them, plus meat slices, pasties, REAL bacon, etc. Costs way too much but occasionally nothing else will do. I had an excellent Scotch egg in San Diego the other weekend that completely surprised me for being executed properly! 

Mr Maven #2 and I have started our Xmas food shopping list (yes, he's an ex, but we are still friendly) for a big order to be placed at British Corner Shop. Going to get some Mr Kipling mince pies, a couple of boxes of After Eights (made in England), an Xmas pudding, tin of Cadbury's Roses, custard creams, advent calendars, Walkers crisps in the meaty variety pack, and on and on... I basically lived on leftover Waitrose biscuits during bar prep last year, which did nothing for my supposed get in shape and study plans. :( I still have two leftover boxes of instant Bird's trifle kits, which I am terrified of, because the best before date is in 2021!

8 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Hard to find a good sausage, not sure why.

Said the actress to the bishop. ;) 

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

2 hours ago, Boiler said:

Well it seemed appropriate as a short version of laylalex.

And Thanksgiving is Murican, not a UK thing.

Wait, so it's okay if everyone else talks about what they cook for Thanksgiving and Sunday dinner, and about sausages, and whether it's dinner or lunch, but I can't talk about my own experiences in life without it being completely and unacceptably off topic?

Timeline
1 hour ago, laylalex said:

Wait, so it's okay if everyone else talks about what they cook for Thanksgiving and Sunday dinner, and about sausages, and whether it's dinner or lunch, but I can't talk about my own experiences in life without it being completely and unacceptably off topic?

Well they have not got one of my threads closed.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

19 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Well they have not got one of my threads closed.

Still sorry about that one. :( 

My own feelings about Meghan and Harry is that the tabloids are just looking for a juicy story, and who doesn't like one that involves royalty and glamorous Hollywood people and babies and holidays? As others have mentioned in other posts, being American is a huge strike against her to begin with. She was never going to please people who get irritated by Americans simply because they exist. (I would draw on my own experience with my MIL but I am NOT talking about myself here, pointedly.) I remember when Prince William and Kate Middleton split up the press mocked her for waiting around for him, the whole "Waity Katie" thing. But now she's treated like she's perfect. (Personally I have until very recently thought that her eyeliner was NOT on point -- using it on the lower lash line tends to make one's eyes look smaller and is best saved for teenagers and emo kids.)

Timeline

I thought I was the only one who had noticed the eye liner.

4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I thought I was the only one who had noticed the eye liner.

No! You are not alone. It's funny, about half of the people I've mentioned it to have said the same thing -- I thought I was the only one who thought her eyeliner was ridiculous. It's so, so dated. I think it's fine to do on the outer corner, especially in the evening, but all the way around is the way to make your eyes look smaller. It can make a woman look "hard" if you know what I mean. She's softened up a little bit and it's better, but if I were her I'd ditch it except for the outer corner if she is totally wedded to it. She's a couple of years older than me, I think, and I would never wear liner that way. A nude or pink liner on the bottom would open her eyes up quite a lot. I also wonder what she's using on her skin, because it's very clear, but it's starting to look a little saggy (I feel terrible saying that!). 

Timeline

Well she is coming up on 38 and probably having difficulty accepting the wall, having said that I think she is lasting better than Meghan who is slightly younger.

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Well she is coming up on 38 and probably having difficulty accepting the wall, having said that I think she is lasting better than Meghan who is slightly younger.

Meghan is 38, and Kate is 37 (so she is 3 years older than me, not 2 as I thought). I don't know, I think Meghan looks younger? Fewer wrinkles. 

1 hour ago, laylalex said:

Meghan is 38, and Kate is 37 (so she is 3 years older than me, not 2 as I thought). I don't know, I think Meghan looks younger? Fewer wrinkles. 

Meghan is 38?! I thought she was 32. I need to buy whatever moisturizer she’s using. 

5 minutes ago, Boketto said:

Meghan is 38?! I thought she was 32. I need to buy whatever moisturizer she’s using. 

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/style/beauty-products/g15836983/meghan-markle-makeup-hair-beauty-products/

Also: https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/makeup/g22602705/meghan-markle-beauty-products/

I apparently use the same lipstick as her, but not in the same shade (I prefer Pillow Talk over Very Victoria). There are a few other things on that list I like as well -- LOVE that Oribe spray on Day 2 hair.

7 minutes ago, laylalex said:

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/style/beauty-products/g15836983/meghan-markle-makeup-hair-beauty-products/

Also: https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/makeup/g22602705/meghan-markle-beauty-products/

I apparently use the same lipstick as her, but not in the same shade (I prefer Pillow Talk over Very Victoria). There are a few other things on that list I like as well -- LOVE that Oribe spray on Day 2 hair.

Oh wow that was fast, thanks! I might try that facial serum.

Can I ask what your hair texture is by the way? Mine is very fine and fluffy and I can’t apply anything to it or it frizzes out. 

Timeline
25 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Is it me or is anyone else seeing a repeating pattern?

4 minutes ago, Boketto said:

Oh wow that was fast, thanks! I might try that facial serum.

Can I ask what your hair texture is by the way? Mine is very fine and fluffy and I can’t apply anything to it or it frizzes out. 

Mine is pretty straight and medium thickness, but it gets frizzy on the top. The pic in my avatar is not me, but it is a very close approximation of what my hair looks like when it is behaving properly. I used to get it blown out professionally, but I do it for myself now except for special occasions. I use the Drybar Buttercup hair dryer, which is expensive, but built to last. It is hands down the best dryer I have ever used. I splurge on Kerastase products, but at a lower price point I also really rate shampoos/conditioners from R&Co, Amika and Verb (criminally underrated and VERY affordable). I used a Kristin Ess conditioner from Target the other month, $10 and surprisingly rich. Smelled fantastic too. If you're fine and fluffy, you need a serum or other prep that works with that to counteract the effects. Stay away from anything to weigh it down. You'll probably want a spray. I like the Brooklyn Bombshell from Amika for volume -- not too heavy. BUT the Ghost Oil from Verb apparently (I am looking at it on Sephora right now) works with fine hair too, and I love it. I do not iron my hair but I do use a heated brush to get kinks out without making it stick straight (another look I think is aging). Blow drying is the only heat I use on it except for the occasional curling iron job (I'm not good with irons, so I work the straight look), but I prime it every time before I get a dryer near it. 

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Is it me or is anyone else seeing a repeating pattern?

There's quite a bit of cross-over between the articles, is that what you mean?

3 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Mine is pretty straight and medium thickness, but it gets frizzy on the top. The pic in my avatar is not me, but it is a very close approximation of what my hair looks like when it is behaving properly. I used to get it blown out professionally, but I do it for myself now except for special occasions. I use the Drybar Buttercup hair dryer, which is expensive, but built to last. It is hands down the best dryer I have ever used. I splurge on Kerastase products, but at a lower price point I also really rate shampoos/conditioners from R&Co, Amika and Verb (criminally underrated and VERY affordable). I used a Kristin Ess conditioner from Target the other month, $10 and surprisingly rich. Smelled fantastic too. If you're fine and fluffy, you need a serum or other prep that works with that to counteract the effects. Stay away from anything to weigh it down. You'll probably want a spray. I like the Brooklyn Bombshell from Amika for volume -- not too heavy. BUT the Ghost Oil from Verb apparently (I am looking at it on Sephora right now) works with fine hair too, and I love it. I do not iron my hair but I do use a heated brush to get kinks out without making it stick straight (another look I think is aging). Blow drying is the only heat I use on it except for the occasional curling iron job (I'm not good with irons, so I work the straight look), but I prime it every time before I get a dryer near it. 

I don’t think my hairdresser has ever been this thorough with me about treatment and products 😆

Just looked up the Brooklyn bombshell and it looks awesome, I need volume with some anti-frizz and it seems just the right product. Thanks!!