kiwi2426

I-130 Online Filers

1,065 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, JKLSemicolon said:

I submitted a single photo digital photo for myself (the USC) only since my wife is not in the US. I did not print and scan the photo but I did save it as a PDF, and added a second page to the PDF containing my (handwritten) name for the "back" of the photo.

I named the file "FirstName.LastName.2x2.photo.600.PPI.pdf", with my actual first and last name there. 600 PPI was the resolution I used for the digital photo, which I specified since that is the resolution needed in order for it to be 2x2 when printed.

Since they presumably can print as many copies as they want, I didn't think it was necessary to include more than one photo in the attachment, although I have seen others here do that. I have also seen people print, scan, and then upload their photos which I did not do either. I felt that a high resolution digital file would produce the best quality printed photo when it came to that step.

Just one data point but our case was approved recently with no issues around that.

Yes I would assume that one photo is enough since they can print as many as they want. The only thing I don’t understand why do we have to add a handwritten part to it if we are already naming files by our names. 

11 hours ago, Nelly_M said:

Yes I would assume that one photo is enough since they can print as many as they want. The only thing I don’t understand why do we have to add a handwritten part to it if we are already naming files by our names. 

I can't see the upload screen anymore since I already submitted the form, but I would pay attention to the instructions there. I might have written my name by hand because of the paper form instructions, I can't remember.

3 hours ago, JKLSemicolon said:

I can't see the upload screen anymore since I already submitted the form, but I would pay attention to the instructions there. I might have written my name by hand because of the paper form instructions, I can't remember.

I will probably have to do the same just in case even though it’s extra work writing the names and scanning them again with pictures. Also, when uploading documents is there a section where we can provide any additional explanation related to attachments or do we have to include like a cover page/letter along with attached providing any explanation related to it?

1 minute ago, Nelly_M said:

I will probably have to do the same just in case even though it’s extra work writing the names and scanning them again with pictures. Also, when uploading documents is there a section where we can provide any additional explanation related to attachments or do we have to include like a cover page/letter along with attached providing any explanation related to it?

What I did for each different type of attachment was create a cover sheet that looked something like this:

Additional Proof of Bona Fide Marriage: [Title (e.g. Joint Tenancy of Common Residence, etc.)]

Petitioner Family Name (Last Name) / Petitioner Given Name (First Name) / Petitioner Middle Name

[Table with those fields completed]

Beneficiary Family Name (Last Name) / Beneficiary Given Name (First Name) / Beneficiary Middle Name / A-Number

[Table with those fields completed]

[Brief explanation of what the attachment contained, list of items on following pages, etc.]

Petitioner's Signature: _______

Date of Signature: ______

------

Footer: PETITIONER LAST NAME, Petitioner First Name

[Title from above]

Page 1 of N

That is certainly not required (especially the signatures), but I treated it as if it were an additional information page attached to the I-130, which would normally include all of those pieces. More importantly, I wanted to make the attachments user-friendly to navigate.

8 hours ago, JKLSemicolon said:

4 hours ago, Nelly_M said:

The paper form instructions do no fit exactly with the online instructions and that is a common complaint.  The online form basically walks you through the whole process.

For online, you only need to upload one photo.  You don't need to sign the back.  Signing the back of photos is the practice for physical photos that may get misplaced and have to be reunited with their folders.  They can go to your account and download the photo as many times as they like, if they need it.

Nelly, you are overthinking this.  Sign up at USCIS and start the application so you can see what is there.  It will make your life so much easier.  There is no obligation.

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

31 minutes ago, seekingthetruth said:

The paper form instructions do no fit exactly with the online instructions and that is a common complaint.  The online form basically walks you through the whole process.

For online, you only need to upload one photo.  You don't need to sign the back.  Signing the back of photos is the practice for physical photos that may get misplaced and have to be reunited with their folders.  They can go to your account and download the photo as many times as they like, if they need it.

Nelly, you are overthinking this.  Sign up at USCIS and start the application so you can see what is there.  It will make your life so much easier.  There is no obligation.

I probably am because I am trying to avoid making any mistakes and I wanted to have all documentation ready for upload before I start the application process. 

4 hours ago, Nelly_M said:

I probably am because I am trying to avoid making any mistakes and I wanted to have all documentation ready for upload before I start the application process. 

I made the same mistake and that is why I advise to get the online application started, so you don't do things that are not required.  I thought the online application was very well done, once you get used to it.  You don't have to worry about completing each section in order.  You can toggle the section tabs.  If you have not completed a section, it will warn you, but you can still move out of that section and your partial info is saved.

Spouse

Stepdaughter

On 2/25/2021 at 11:21 PM, seekingthetruth said:

I made the same mistake and that is why I advise to get the online application started, so you don't do things that are not required.  I thought the online application was very well done, once you get used to it.  You don't have to worry about completing each section in order.  You can toggle the section tabs.  If you have not completed a section, it will warn you, but you can still move out of that section and your partial info is saved.

Thanks. Will do. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I've seen some people say they were able to submit additional documentation after submitting I130, is this true? 

Also, at what point do we have to show financial ability to support? Is that the DS-something application? I am in the process of determining who will sponsor, since my job is technically overseas (even though they said I could live in the US for long periods of time) I figured I would need a third party to sponsor us. 

My mother said she would do it, her income is around $32k a year (officially on tax return documentation). However, she also sponsored two of her cousins many years ago (who I'm sure have citizenship now) so I'm not sure if the USCIS will take that into consideration and if I should try to get a sponsor in my family who hasn't sponsored someone before.

Checking in on the processing times for the first time in a long time. I am gutted to see Potomac wait times have increased to 12-16 months. Anyone with Potomac have any good news to share?

Is it possible to transfer service centers, or does this put to you to the 'back of the queue' if there is such a thing.

We Met: 14/02/2017

Relationship: 17/03/2017

Engaged: 01/01/2019

Married: 05/17/2020

I-130 Filed: 15/07/2020

NOA1: 15/07/2020

NOA2: 26/05/2021

Did anybody have to scan the hard copy of your passport style photo for upload? If yes, any instructions on how this is to be done? I had digital photos for both husband and I but they are now older than 30 days. I had him retake his and send it to me in a digital format via email in a perfect format that meets all the requirements as that’s how photographer did it. On the other hand, I got two photos at Walgreens as they do not provide digital images and I am not really sure what to do with them since I am applying online. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
54 minutes ago, Nelly_M said:

Did anybody have to scan the hard copy of your passport style photo for upload? If yes, any instructions on how this is to be done? I had digital photos for both husband and I but they are now older than 30 days. I had him retake his and send it to me in a digital format via email in a perfect format that meets all the requirements as that’s how photographer did it. On the other hand, I got two photos at Walgreens as they do not provide digital images and I am not really sure what to do with them since I am applying online. 

It is not necessary to include photos of your spouse if they are not in the USA.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
14 hours ago, TedBrosby said:

I've seen some people say they were able to submit additional documentation after submitting I130, is this true? 

Also, at what point do we have to show financial ability to support? Is that the DS-something application? I am in the process of determining who will sponsor, since my job is technically overseas (even though they said I could live in the US for long periods of time) I figured I would need a third party to sponsor us. 

My mother said she would do it, her income is around $32k a year (officially on tax return documentation). However, she also sponsored two of her cousins many years ago (who I'm sure have citizenship now) so I'm not sure if the USCIS will take that into consideration and if I should try to get a sponsor in my family who hasn't sponsored someone before.

You can upload documents to MyUSCIS after you've submitted your application, but it doesn't guarantee that they'll be looked at by USCIS. Easiest thing to do for peace of mind is to submit your application once you have all the evidence needed.

Proof of financial ability to support gets checked after your I-130 has been approved and sent to NVC. It is possible to sponsor your spouse if you've been working overseas but you have to prove intent to reestablish domicile in the US. I'd try looking through threads and wikis on VJ that should help you figure out if this is a possible option.

1 hour ago, Nelly_M said:

In my experience scanning does not work well if you want to retain the proper size.  Download a free photo id app on your phone.  I think the one I used was called ID photo but there are others.  Using the app, snap a perfect 2X2 of your Walgreens photo, and you have your digital version.

Edited by seekingthetruth

Spouse

Stepdaughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.