billding

What are the financial must-do's for a K-1 Fiancé?

4 posts in this topic

How do I help my fiancé get set up? She's coming in on a K-1.

We plan on getting her an SSN. If successful, I gather that an ITIN isn't needed?

Which has a better chance of allowing her to get an account: bank or credit unions?

We're estimating that she'll be here Spring 2020. That makes here eligible to be Resident Alien and so we can file MFJ next year (tax year 2020, filing 2021)?

I'm probably missing loads of basic stuff. Anything else--advice/tips--are welcome! Thanks everyone!

13 hours ago, killbill said:

How do I help my fiancé get set up? She's coming in on a K-1.

We plan on getting her an SSN. If successful, I gather that an ITIN isn't needed?

Which has a better chance of allowing her to get an account: bank or credit unions?

We're estimating that she'll be here Spring 2020. That makes here eligible to be Resident Alien and so we can file MFJ next year (tax year 2020, filing 2021)?

I'm probably missing loads of basic stuff. Anything else--advice/tips--are welcome! Thanks everyone!

Nothing wrong with thinking ahead, but in your case you are at the critical  stage with the medical  and interview coming up. I think you should focus  there. If your fiancee has not already got an appointment  with CFO look into doing that now.  Gather your documents for the interview. Many things can snag you at this point and you need to be more focused on the current situation. I'd  wait awhile before jumping so far ahead. Just  my opinion.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

7 minutes ago, Sarge2155 said:

Nothing wrong with thinking ahead, but in your case you are at the critical  stage with the medical  and interview coming up. I think you should focus  there. If your fiancee has not already got an appointment  with CFO look into doing that now.  Gather your documents for the interview. Many things can snag you at this point and you need to be more focused on the current situation. I'd  wait awhile before jumping so far ahead. Just  my opinion.

Thanks Sarge!

She already has CFO appoinment set for the end of the month. All the other documents are ready to go, save for the ones that need to be recent--but even those have been partially filled out (I-134). I also have tax documents from the last 3 years, talked to HR about an employment letter. She's as ready as can be for the interview. She's not too fazed as she's been to the USEM for tourist visas before.

She's very organized, she already has a list for AOS requirements. I just feel useless and the only thing she needs help with is setting up out here. I tell her it's all good but she likes knowing things herself,.maybe I'm not so dependable as I'd like to think 😅

Edited by killbill

16 minutes ago, killbill said:

Thanks Sarge!

She already has CFO appoinment set for the end of the month. All the other documents are ready to go, save for the ones that need to be recent--but even those have been partially filled out (I-134). I also have tax documents from the last 3 years, talked to HR about an employment letter. She's as ready as can be for the interview. She's not too fazed as she's been to the USEM for tourist visas before.

She's very organized, she already has a list for AOS requirements. I just feel useless and the only thing she needs help with is setting up out here. I tell her it's all good but she likes knowing things herself,.maybe I'm not so dependable as I'd like to think 😅

Very good my Pinay was the same way at that stage, but still I would not jump to far ahead with SLEC and USEM coming up soon.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.