doodlebug

In Vitro Fertilization

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Has anyone on this board gone through IVF? I'm looking into it but I have to convince hubby first. My tubes were tied about 10 years ago and now I want to have a baby with my husband. I originally was going to have a reversal done and then see how we do but I'm rethinking that scenario since IVF seems so much more efficient.

Just curious what everyone's experience has been and how your foreign SO viewed the whole process since different cultures have different takes on these things.

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Has anyone on this board gone through IVF? I'm looking into it but I have to convince hubby first. My tubes were tied about 10 years ago and now I want to have a baby with my husband. I originally was going to have a reversal done and then see how we do but I'm rethinking that scenario since IVF seems so much more efficient.

Just curious what everyone's experience has been and how your foreign SO viewed the whole process since different cultures have different takes on these things.

I checked into that. IVF is about as expensive as a tubal reversal. The way I understood it, IVF would be more than likely a success than a tubal reversal. There's always the chance that the tubal wouldn't work. As for the cultural thing, I can't answer that.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline

Well the reversal would cost about $6k to $8k, but like you said, not a guarantee and not covered at all by insurance.

The IVF would be around $10k to $12k for each cycle I think, though I haven't thoroughly looked into it yet. Some states mandate that insurances cover the procedure though which would be cool.

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

A girl i work with had the tubal reversal done. She already had 2 children ages 9 and 11. Within 6 months she was pregnant, and is due with her 4th child any day now.

Edited by garyandmarylou

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
A girl i work with had the tubal reversal done. She already had 2 children ages 9 and 11. Within 6 months she was pregnant, and is due with her 4th child any day now.

Those eggs must've been waiting for their big jailbreak! :lol:

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

Timeline

See that's what I'm afraid of. lol. I have two, I want three.....what I don't want is like 8 or 9!!!!!

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

See that's what I'm afraid of. lol. I have two, I want three.....what I don't want is like 8 or 9!!!!!

LOL no her last 2 were planned after the reversal

Doesnt IVF give you more chance of a mutiple birth tho?

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Timeline

LOL no her last 2 were planned after the reversal

Yes but it's also more of a possibility when you're in your late 30's early 40's anyways so that's not really a deal breaker for me. Mostly it is the control aspect of it. I'd really love to be able to just focus on one baby.

My husband just isn't sold on it though because he says it isn't natural. It is definitely going to be a HUGE discussion to be had once he gets here.

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

that 10k-12k can turn into 20k-24k real quick if it dont take the first time.

i think its something u both will have to discuss with the doctor together and see what has the higher rate to pregnancy.

Filed: Other Timeline

depends how many embryos they implant. You can do a single implant, or you cab do a multiple implant, depends on the situation, the clinic and the woman's decision. And even with a mulitple implant, they don't all always "take". If you implant 3, its possible only one, or none, will result in pregnancy.

As for efficacy, remember that fertility in general (meaning, normal people who would not have to undergo ARTS) starts to decline in your late 20's, and by about 5% every year after age 30, and even more after 40. After age 35 it gets more and more difficult and success rates of ARTs are actually quite low (despite recent news of Grandmother's conceiving and delivering babies. She used doner eggs :P ) Not to mention the chance of birth defects in any resulting babies because of the mother's age (down's syndrome etc)

Here's the website for The American Fertility Association. All kinds of info there for ya.

Its really not as easy as all that, and there are possible complications and consequences of the fertility treatments. There is less than no guarantee that the $12,000+ you spend will get you a "take home baby". However, $12,000 paid to an adoption agency will. :yes: Just how far do you want to go with it? I know couples who went bankrupt because they just kept trying and trying and it never worked. They went bankrupt and they ended up ruined and divorced. I've known women hospitalized because of hyper-stimulation from the hormones, which is incredibly painful and hazardous. Then there's the weight-gain of up to 100 pounds or so from the daily injections, and nausea and mood swings (its like constant PMS for a few months)...

If you can put your body through that #######, and maybe *still not have a baby*, well...have at it. But be informed and don't walk into the clinic thinking 9 months later you'll have a squiggly cooing baby to ooo and aahhh at. Its more complex than that.

If it were me, (I don't know how old you are) and I were 35 years old or younger, I'd go the tubal reversal route first.

And how do I know all this ######? I've known since I was 21 that I'm infertile. IVF has always been my only option. I'm nearly 40 now and my husband has been trying to convince *me* for the past 2 years to undergo this. And I just don't wanna put myself through all that. Plus all the other health problems I have right now, we might as well just take the money and toss it to the wind. :P

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I am not positive, but I think there is a test where they actually retrieve eggs to see if they are still viable, or better yet to say, still "fertilizable" LOL Depending on your age, I would consider doing this before I made any firm decision. I was also told that I was infertile, I am now the proud "natural" mother of three sons, which goes to prove that all Doctors don't always know what they are talking about LOL Best of luck on your decision. PS: My children are all under the age of 13, the youngest being twins that were supposed to be triplets. Proof that children do keep you young.

My life has been blessed with the love of 4 of the sweetest men in the world. James, Jonathan, Nicolas, and Islam, my sons and my S/O.

OPSSSSSSS I DID IT AGAIN!

Filed: Timeline
I am not positive, but I think there is a test where they actually retrieve eggs to see if they are still viable, or better yet to say, still "fertilizable" LOL Depending on your age, I would consider doing this before I made any firm decision. I was also told that I was infertile, I am now the proud "natural" mother of three sons, which goes to prove that all Doctors don't always know what they are talking about LOL Best of luck on your decision. PS: My children are all under the age of 13, the youngest being twins that were supposed to be triplets. Proof that children do keep you young.

the patient of IVF can also be the natural mother. :angry: its not a dayum joking issue!

shon.gif

Timeline

depends how many embryos they implant. You can do a single implant, or you cab do a multiple implant, depends on the situation, the clinic and the woman's decision. And even with a mulitple implant, they don't all always "take". If you implant 3, its possible only one, or none, will result in pregnancy.

As for efficacy, remember that fertility in general (meaning, normal people who would not have to undergo ARTS) starts to decline in your late 20's, and by about 5% every year after age 30, and even more after 40. After age 35 it gets more and more difficult and success rates of ARTs are actually quite low (despite recent news of Grandmother's conceiving and delivering babies. She used doner eggs :P ) Not to mention the chance of birth defects in any resulting babies because of the mother's age (down's syndrome etc)

Here's the website for The American Fertility Association. All kinds of info there for ya.

Its really not as easy as all that, and there are possible complications and consequences of the fertility treatments. There is less than no guarantee that the $12,000+ you spend will get you a "take home baby". However, $12,000 paid to an adoption agency will. :yes: Just how far do you want to go with it? I know couples who went bankrupt because they just kept trying and trying and it never worked. They went bankrupt and they ended up ruined and divorced. I've known women hospitalized because of hyper-stimulation from the hormones, which is incredibly painful and hazardous. Then there's the weight-gain of up to 100 pounds or so from the daily injections, and nausea and mood swings (its like constant PMS for a few months)...

If you can put your body through that #######, and maybe *still not have a baby*, well...have at it. But be informed and don't walk into the clinic thinking 9 months later you'll have a squiggly cooing baby to ooo and aahhh at. Its more complex than that.

If it were me, (I don't know how old you are) and I were 35 years old or younger, I'd go the tubal reversal route first.

And how do I know all this ######? I've known since I was 21 that I'm infertile. IVF has always been my only option. I'm nearly 40 now and my husband has been trying to convince *me* for the past 2 years to undergo this. And I just don't wanna put myself through all that. Plus all the other health problems I have right now, we might as well just take the money and toss it to the wind. :P

holy #######!!! :blink::blink::blink:

Guess i'd better rethink this. $6,000 to get it reversed and then no fertility drugs since I do ovulate right on schedule each month vs. prolly over $24k and beatchy as heck every single day while undergoing all the surgery.................................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Well for the record I am 41 years old and have a 10 and 11 year old. I just didn't want to have the reversal and then be waiting a good two to three years to get pregnant but now that you put it that way I could be waiting without the reversal too and not having near as much fun trying. :P:P:P

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

My only meaning in my "natural" mother comment is that I had been told by a fertility EXPERT that I was sterile. No babies, WITHOUT IVF. What a surprise to me and my childrens father when I learned that I was pregnant at the age of 35 for the first time. Even a bigger surprise the following year when I popped up pregnant again, while on birth control. What about that comment could possibly be misconstrued as a "dayum joking matter"? Pray, do tell. I wish Doodle only the best of luck in making her decision.

My life has been blessed with the love of 4 of the sweetest men in the world. James, Jonathan, Nicolas, and Islam, my sons and my S/O.

OPSSSSSSS I DID IT AGAIN!