snowcat

Moving to another state just before sending I-751 packet

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I currently have a 2 year conditional green card (from K1 - marriage to US citizen), which is expiring November 2020. My husband and I are planning on moving from California to Ohio sometime in May 2020 to start a family, closer to his family (as it takes a village to raise a child, we hear lol). I am planning on sending my I-751 packet by August 2020.

I was just wondering what I'd need to do regarding the move? I know I should inform USCIS about my change of address, but aside from that is there anything else you'd advise me to take care of to ensure the smooth processing of my removal of conditions?

Another question I have is that we also will be moving to a temporary Airbnb type situation until we find a house we love and will purchase (my in-laws weren't too keen on us staying at their house for a prolonged period of time unfortunately). I am thinking of just giving my in-law's address to USCIS as our Ohio address, as it will be a more stable location for USCIS mail?  We'll see our in-laws at least every week so I should be able to regularly get mail from them. Do you think this is a good plan?

I also plan on calling USCIS sometime soon to ask these questions but this forum has always been helpful in providing answers, so figured I'd get your opinion as well. :)

Thank you!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

When I moved, i simply submitted the address change online.

I also filed an I751 for my spouse after we moved. I put the new address on the i751 too and I believe they had a section for old addresses too.

I would recommend contacting an immigration attorney for proper advice)

Edited by Fmab Wasenob

Filed: Timeline

Well the best and only advice is to be 100% honest and accurate on forms you fill out. Have you looked at the 751? There is a place for physical address as well as mailing address (in care of). So you should fill out the form accurately and list your actual physical address and use the mailing address in care of to your in laws address. When you move from one physical address to another you can update your address again to reflect the move and drop the different in care of mailing one. Do not misrepresent on the form that you are physically residing at the in laws if you are not. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Also be sure to do a proper change of address with USPS.

https://www.uscis.gov/addresschange

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 11/1/2019 at 4:15 PM, snowcat said:

I currently have a 2 year conditional green card (from K1 - marriage to US citizen), which is expiring November 2020. My husband and I are planning on moving from California to Ohio sometime in May 2020 to start a family, closer to his family (as it takes a village to raise a child, we hear lol). I am planning on sending my I-751 packet by August 2020.

I was just wondering what I'd need to do regarding the move? I know I should inform USCIS about my change of address, but aside from that is there anything else you'd advise me to take care of to ensure the smooth processing of my removal of conditions?

Another question I have is that we also will be moving to a temporary Airbnb type situation until we find a house we love and will purchase (my in-laws weren't too keen on us staying at their house for a prolonged period of time unfortunately). I am thinking of just giving my in-law's address to USCIS as our Ohio address, as it will be a more stable location for USCIS mail?  We'll see our in-laws at least every week so I should be able to regularly get mail from them. Do you think this is a good plan?

you need say you are living where you are living and be sure it is on your drivers license. 

you need to prove that you live there. 

if it is mail you are worried about, a joint PO BOX might be a good idea to look into. (Just a suggestion)

Edited by DelilahBrz

10/3/16 I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX

10/5/16 Delivered at Lewisville, TX

10/11/16 NOA1 Received

11/3/16 NOA2 Received

11/8/16 NOA2 Hard Copy Received

11/22/16 NVC Received I-129

12/2/16 Consulate Review

12/15/16 Interview Date

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.