Juliet57

Mom denied a tourist visa, I'm in CR1 process HELP

33 posts in this topic

Wanted to post to say that Boiler clarified some details about the thread I referred ealier. I'm on my cellphone so my ability to look at previous threads for details is limited. Referred to that thread from memory (which is slowly fading 😉).

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

1 minute ago, Juliet57 said:

Thank you :) of course I remember you from our fellow March 2019 filers thread. Hang in there, the grass is always greener. I could've waited a few more months to be approved if I could have my mom's visa approved.

Only my husband lives in the US. I guess next time we can try that, but honestly I think we're gonna have to wait a few months, or years.

Thank you. Yes, waiting patiently here. Lurking here everyday. lol 

I think she can re-apply after several months. But it would be great if you guys can come together. :) Keep the faith.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

She can reapply as soon as she wants.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Just now, Boiler said:

She can reapply as soon as she wants.

Thanks. We are in no hurry for her to visit because I don't even live there yet, we just wanted to get her visa to have one less thing to worry about and she could visit later on. 

So I'll help her apply again in a few months.

Service Center: Texas Service Center SRC

Consulate: Juarez, Mexico

I-130 NOA1: 2019/03/21

I-130 NOA2: 2019/09/17

NVC DQ: 2020/01/21

Visa Approved: 2021/07/01

1 hour ago, Tsh said:

Do you have other family members in the US? I suggest they make a letter that they will tour your mom there for a vacation, itinerary, and that she will stay there etc.

That letter has no impact on their eligibility for the visa. They need a reason to return home, not a reason to want to visit. From the DOS directly: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html

Note: Visa applicants must qualify on the basis of the applicant's residence and ties abroad, rather than assurances from U.S. family and friends. A letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support is not needed to apply for a visitor visa. If you choose to bring a letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support to your interview, please remember it is not one of the factors used in determining whether to issue or deny the visa.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

5 hours ago, Boiler said:

Anpther post from this morning is where a mother is leaving a 11 year old child behind, you may be surprised, or not, what people will do.

What post was that?

8 hours ago, Nat&Amy said:

That is why it bothers me when people show up on Visajourney with stories of "got here on a visitor Visa and decided to stay". When so many misuse a temporary visa, everyone suffers, including those who have always followed the rules. Sadly, to fight this trend, instead of fixing the loopholes that allow temporary visas to be abused so badly, Immigration can simply deny people from countries with a bad track record. Unfortunate. I wish you and your mom luck, hopefully at some point you both will be able to spend time together in the US.

100% agree, we can all thank those who manipulate the system for making it much harder for those that don’t have ill intent.. 

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

7 hours ago, geowrian said:

That letter has no impact on their eligibility for the visa. They need a reason to return home, not a reason to want to visit. From the DOS directly: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html

Well with my parents’ case those were really the reason, two seniors who wanted to visit the son for vacation. And right, the letter was only brought during interview. they did not stay there by the way. Sorry if you guys thought my message was misleading. The admin can just delete it if they like. No worries.

4 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

What post was that?

This one (note how it’s phrased that the mom “has to” leave her own kids behind to go look after the grandchild...)

10 hours ago, IR5momandme said:

I agree with you...my mom has been denied twice for getting a tourist visa. two years in a row!

She does not want to live in the US, but she also does not want to miss the opportunity to be with her grand daughter (my daughter).

So after a long conversation, I apply for her IR5 (immigrant visa) to come to the United States and start her whole new life here. She has to leave my brothers (11 and 19 years old), a house, friends and family. Regardless, it will be different case if she just get her tourist visa instead of immigrant visa. We all have things to consider...unfortunately, there are price to pay :(

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline
8 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

This one (note how it’s phrased that the mom “has to” leave her own kids behind to go look after the grandchild...)

what is wrong with that? oh I know...does not fit your mindset. Got it.

Edited by IR5momandme

4/19/19: Sending Package to USCIS

5/8/19: NOA1 (USCIS received)

10/3/19: NOA2 (USCIS Approved)

10/10/19: Case sent to NVC

10/22/19: NVC received

11/14/19: Received invoice number and case number and pay AOS + IV bill

11/18/19: Completed DS-260

11/19/19: Submit AOS + IV package to NVC for review (hit the 7 months mark!)

11/21/19: All documents are accepted except tax transcripts. Re-upload it and now upload 1 year per document section.

01/22/20: Document Qualified. NVC send it over to embassy for obtaining interview date.

02/12/20: NVC completed the case. Now the status is in transit to US embassy (Jakarta-Indonesia)

03/05/20: Medical Exam

03/26/20: Interview date!💖 (canceled due to Covid-19 until further notice)

02/25/21: Embassy emailed that they resume IR5 visa

03/01/21: Another medical exam since the last one expired in September 2020

03/15/21: Interview date!🤩 Result: 221G because my mom forget the original doc for my dad's death decree + she needs to redone her photo

03/16/21: submit the necessary paperwork + photo

03/17/21: Status change to administrative processing

03/18/21: Status change to issued. Waiting for email from the embassy for pick up

03/20/21: VISA IS READY!

03/25/21: Fly to US

2 hours ago, IR5momandme said:

what is wrong with that? oh I know...does not fit your mindset. Got it.

You’re right! leaving my own minor 11 year old child behind to look after someone else’s child does not fit my mindset.  

But the actual point was your phrasing of “had to”, no-one is being forced to do anything here - it is all your choice of what to do.  You could equally say you “have to” return to your home country to keep the extended family in one place. Your choice, nothing forced.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
12 hours ago, Duke & Marie said:

100% agree, we can all thank those who manipulate the system for making it much harder for those that don’t have ill intent.. 

Maybe it would be better to deny adjustment of status to those who entered on a visitor visa? Although not sure immigrants would ever come forward if they know they'd be denied. 

To all: 

I am still super bummed about my mom but we can't lose hope. I'll help her apply again in a few months and will reach out to some local people who know about tourist visas etc maybe they'll have some advice. If it all fails maybe I can apply for my mom's immigrant visa in a few years, if that's what she wants. Honestly this isn't our first option but might be the only one. 

Service Center: Texas Service Center SRC

Consulate: Juarez, Mexico

I-130 NOA1: 2019/03/21

I-130 NOA2: 2019/09/17

NVC DQ: 2020/01/21

Visa Approved: 2021/07/01

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
22 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

While you may not want to hear it, it's the truth.  Immigrating to the US means separation from the people you leave behind.  Many immigrants have family that can never qualify for a visitor visa.  That is just the sad truth.  Remember that no one is entitled to a visitor visa.  It's a privilege granted to some and not others.  

While you're right saying nobody is entitled to a visitor visa, I think it's sad if people cannot visit their family due to a presumption of guilt. 

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
19 minutes ago, jeaniecz said:

While you're right saying nobody is entitled to a visitor visa, I think it's sad if people cannot visit their family due to a presumption of guilt. 

I agree that it's sad, but that's the reality of life.

40% of the undocumented immigrants in the US came in with inspection.  That's over 5,000,000 people.  2019 is the 7th year in a row where the number of visa overstays was higher than the number of illegal border crossers.  Visa overstys is the number one source of undocumented immigrants.

I have plenty of relatives who if given visitor visas would come here and never leave.  That's the reality of life.  My family is no better than anyone's else family.  The reality is that many people are willing to live in the US undocumented.  

What would you propose?  No presumption of immigrant intent and let everyone who wants to visit in?  What would that do to the number of visa overstays?

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
3 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

40% of the undocumented immigrants in the US came in with inspection.  That's over 5,000,000 people.  

What would you propose?  No presumption of immigrant intent and let everyone who wants to visit in?  

I have plenty of relatives who if given visitor visas would come here and never leave.  That's the reality of life.  My family is no better than anyone's else family.  The reality is that many people are willing to live in the US undocumented.  

I'm not proposing anything. 

Only shared my opinion and you don't need to agree.

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.