Redheadguy03

report of birth update and question

12 posts in this topic

So, I reported my son's birth to the Philippines and received an email from the embassy. Apparently, I messed up his name, as his middle name has to be my wife's maiden name. The email says they are following the Philippines naming convention. So, I guess he'll have an extra middle name in the Philippines versus the United States.

Was anyone else aware of this? If not, hopefully this helps someone because now I have to send updated forms out and spend more on shipping. (go figure lol)

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yup, many have bumped into that issue regarding the Philippines.   Many times they move the given middle name to the first name area so there are two first names, then add the mother's maiden last name as middle name.    

Philippines likes to control so much in a person's life .. truly a nanny country.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Yup, many have bumped into that issue regarding the Philippines.   Many times they move the given middle name to the first name area so there are two first names, then add the mother's maiden last name as middle name.    

Philippines likes to control so much in a person's life .. truly a nanny country.

What if you don't want to follow the Philippine naming convention?

Timeline
1 hour ago, Soon To Be Mrs. T said:

What if you don't want to follow the Philippine naming convention?

Then what the OP posted happens most times .. they "adjust things"

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Then what the OP posted happens most times .. they "adjust things"

Oh, I guess I don't have a choice!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Soon To Be Mrs. T said:

Oh, I guess I don't have a choice!

Not for the Philippines, there they have rules, rules and more rules ..  no personal choice.   

But for the USA the child can have whatever name you choose ....    

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

Not for the Philippines, there they have rules, rules and more rules ..  no personal choice.   

But for the USA the child can have whatever name you choose ....    

I thought it was nuts. My wife was like I told you this and I told her I know you did, but I thought it was just a guideline not like a law! It's ok, I'll just do it how they want.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Redheadguy03 said:

I thought it was nuts. My wife was like I told you this and I told her I know you did, but I thought it was just a guideline not like a law! It's ok, I'll just do it how they want.

Yes it is law there .. no options.   Same goes for when a woman gets married, there is a correct naming format.     Maiden surname becomes her middle name your surname becomes her surname ... no IFs no ANDs no BUTTS  :lol:  

As I always say ... Welcome to the Philippines

Still for the birth certificate for the USA I would use whatever names I wanted, the consulate, etc. can do as they need to do for their paperwork.  

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

8 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Yes it is law there .. no options.   Same goes for when a woman gets married, there is a correct naming format.     Maiden surname becomes her middle name your surname becomes her surname ... no IFs no ANDs no BUTTS  :lol:  

As I always say ... Welcome to the Philippines

Still for the birth certificate for the USA I would use whatever names I wanted, the consulate, etc. can do as they need to do for their paperwork.  

Ya, the birth certificate name I did what we wanted. I guess it's only an issue when you get one of those questions. "Have you ever been known by another name?" I just figure dual citizenship for him has no real disadvantages, unless he was trying to get some super top secret security clearance I could see the government not liking it. 

Timeline
Just now, Redheadguy03 said:

Ya, the birth certificate name I did what we wanted. I guess it's only an issue when you get one of those questions. "Have you ever been known by another name?" I just figure dual citizenship for him has no real disadvantages, unless he was trying to get some super top secret security clearance I could see the government not liking it. 

I agree with you .. no harm.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
2 hours ago, Redheadguy03 said:

It's good to have a kid with a unique name in the Philippines because of NBI/background issues. I have a buddy there named after a pope, with a kind of common last name. Background checks are always a pain for him. 

2 hours ago, Fogi said:

It's good to have a kid with a unique name in the Philippines because of NBI/background issues. I have a buddy there named after a pope, with a kind of common last name. Background checks are always a pain for him. 

That's a good point. Our son's name is more Americanish, so shouldn't be an issue. I recall hearing about people having background check issues because of similar names. It happens here too when people have names that match someone on a no fly list or something. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.